I just finished my Opeth Collection

HEY TRAPPED>>>Nice to run into ya here dude, thanks for the good word.

Urizen>>My fav metal band is NEVERMORE, then DEATH. My fav doom band is CATHEDRAL. My fav non metal band is LED ZEPPELIN(led and I have been close friends for 15 or 20 years,,). And Black Sab ozz era is up there too. I like a lot of Stoner rock,not all but. And there are lots more bands, not enough time to list them. I liek a lot of everything but COUNTRY MUSIC,,I cant stand that shit. I did re-state part of what you were asking me about, the thing about the lyrics,,I amy have been a bit hastey, you may have missed teh post, so here it is(I really didnt come here to FLAME OR BE FLAMED LOL)

QUOTE ledmag
>>>>> your right, he is good with words. Its just that at times, its seems he had nothing on his mind to connect these phrases, maybe he does 'strain of thought' writeing. I just think it would help me to set through soem of teh longer songs with that type of lyrics. <<<<<<< END QUOTE ledmag

MetalManCPA>>>Hey man, nice to see you here too, some familiar names.

Thanks to the rest of ya,, with the exeption of ONE. ANd you know who you are.

Well, as i have said many times, I have my oppinion, and it doesnt mean much to anyone but me.
The thing is, I liek this band,,looks like just in a different way than most of ya, which is ok. Im sure the guys in the band are happy they have me as a fan, they would really be happy if they new how much I advertise for the cd's I get in which i like.

AND, just one more thing..just so you guys know,,,when I say I hate a cd,,i mean overall, every Opeth cd has SOME ""good"" songs IMO. Even though I do have 2 fav songs from them, With this band, I must rate them by the cd,,not songs. I say this becouse these guys are very good at what they do, and teh cd's seem to flow as a whole, and not individual songs, even the cd's that are NOT conceptual.

Originally posted by leadfoot256
Welcome to the Opeth board my friend from "tha dirty south" as I :) ...where in KY do you live, some friends of mine have been talking about moving to Louisville.

Hey man,Ye Fucking Gods its nice to see someone from NEXT DOOR hahaha.
I live in ESTILL COUNTY. Its 2 counties southeast from FAYETT. Dude, Louisville is the biggest city in Kentucky. Thats also the birth place for the IMMORTAL HUNTER S. THOMPSON!!

Anyway, Ive lived in the same county all of my almost 29 years. I haev been places though LOL. My parents have soem friends in your state. Where are you down there?

Originally posted by ledmag

Hey man,Ye Fucking Gods its nice to see someone from NEXT DOOR hahaha.
I live in ESTILL COUNTY. Its 2 counties southeast from FAYETT. Dude, Louisville is the biggest city in Kentucky. Thats also the birth place for the IMMORTAL HUNTER S. THOMPSON!!

Anyway, Ive lived in the same county all of my almost 29 years. I haev been places though LOL. My parents have soem friends in your state. Where are you down there?

Hunter S. Thompson!! HELL YEA......I live in Hermitage, it is just about 10 - 15 minutes outside of Nashville. Surprisingly there are 3 more people who come to the Opeth forum from TN. I am not sure if there are any KY people, maybe so.
later

Your about 200 miles from me.

There is anothe dude from KY at teh Nevermore board. There are so many members of this (opeth) forum, your the closest ive seen.

What have you read by Hunter? I have 5 of his books, and I own the film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas..He is great.

Does anybody else have a non-permanent "Opeth Order"?

Mine keeps changing.

Currently it is:
Morningrise-Orchid-Still Life-MAYH-BWP

The only thing that has remained the same has been BWP at the bottom of the list...MAYH and Still Life tend to be pretty much tied in the center, changing places with the top one being whichever I listened to last.Orchid, which I hated at first, has grown on me a lot with time. I gave BWP about a thousand listens before I decided that I actually didn't like it and it wasn't going to grow on me.

Morgan

Well, Morningrise is starting to grow on me a bit.

LeadFoot>>>I have not seen that film(wher the Buff........). I ve known about it for sometime now, but I cant find it.
Man, you should get the book FandL In Las Vegas. Its almost word for with the movie. The cool thing is, most of the stuff his Atterny says in the film, hunter says in the book haha. +, it has a write up about the book, by Hunter, its worth it just for that. In the book The Great Shark Hunt, The first few pages happens to be a suicide note from HUNTER himself hahaha,,. Get some of his books dude, you will be pleased.

To say that you "hate" an Opeth cd makes me want to reach through this screen and strangle you ;)

Seriously, to each his or her own.

To me, the only Opeth cd that I could call my least favorite would be Still Life. The other four to me are just about equal with MAYH just a tad better than those other 3 - I believe it is their perfect cd from start to finish.

As for Led Zep - they were overrated IMO. I'd take Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, and ELP over them any day.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
As for Led Zep - they were overrated IMO. I'd take Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, and ELP over them any day.

:eek: I know it's just your opinion.

First, I love ELP - me being a keyboardist, I always thought Keith Emerson was one of the most underrated musicians out there : Rick Wakeman got more of the accolades.

As for Led Zeppelin - for their music to be introduced in 1970 (or right around there), they were truely more than a decade ahead of their time. As for overrated, without doing research, I don't think they ever had much chart success. So I don't think they were ever stuck in the "rated" band syndrome. They, in my opinion, began the offshoot of what we now know as metal.

I believe that King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Jimi Hendrix had more to do with today's metal music than LZ.

I believe that LZ was the first "hair band" - They should get credit for being the originator's of the 80's hairband era. With all of their "baby, baby, babies!" Christ, it didn't matter if the song was not about a woman, Robert Plant would still find a way to shriek, "BABY!" (Shudder, shudder). I admit, they do have a few songs recorded that I enjoy. But come on, Dyer Maker? That song has to be one of the worst rock songs of all time.

I'd take - Hendrix, Sabbath, ELP, YES, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, and a host of other 70's bands before LZ.

With pride, I can say, I never bought a LZ album/cd/tape in my entire life. Their music did nothing for me, except to aggravate me and want to shut off the radio or to get out of the room where their music was playing.

You can have them.

Hey Ledmag, :)

Nice to see your open-minded attitude! (not immediately downing the band because the first time didn't grab you by the balls.) Anyhow, welcome. I had a few words for you. In your first post you mentioned that Opeth isn't your favorite band. I was just wondering who was.

The way Mikael writes in Orchid just totally made my mind spin. What I mean is I kept trying to connect each line and make a story out of it like most writers do. With Orchid I had to just forget what I was used to. The random scribblings of a madman? :err: :p I actually found it more interesting that way.

I didn't appreciate the way Still Life sounded when I first got it. I didn't like Morningrise at all. But knowing that it's the same band that made MAYH (my first favorite) I figured there may be things I was missing. Things I didn't realize were going on in the background. After a while it just seemed superior to the usual.

Either way. Don't force yourself to hear an album over and over. Listen to what you like and I'm glad you like some of it. Maybe it'll grow on you like a virus. :heh: and before you know it you'll be begging for bootlegs and rare audios. ;)

Maybe...

"The seed that had sprung into a florid meadow,
And left me helpless in your embrace."

I believe that King Crimson, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Jimi Hendrix had more to do with today's metal music than LZ.

I believe that LZ was the first "hair band" - They should get credit for being the originator's of the 80's hairband era. With all of their "baby, baby, babies!" Christ, it didn't matter if the song was not about a woman, Robert Plant would still find a way to shriek, "BABY!" (Shudder, shudder). I admit, they do have a few songs recorded that I enjoy. But come on, Dyer Maker? That song has to be one of the worst rock songs of all time.

I'd take - Hendrix, Sabbath, ELP, YES, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, and a host of other 70's bands before LZ.

With pride, I can say, I never bought a LZ album/cd/tape in my entire life. Their music did nothing for me, except to aggravate me and want to shut off the radio or to get out of the room where their music was playing.

You can have them.

I tend to agree. I grew up on Zep, Sabbath, AC/DC, Floyd, Van Halen, all the stuff that was big in the late 70's, but I can't even stand LZ anymore. While I personally feel that LZ is one of the two top overrated bands ever (the other being Kiss), one listen to "The Rover" or "Custard Pie" from Physical Graffiti just kills me. Still, they can shove Stairway to Heaven and Immigrant Song up their arses.

But, to each his own...whatever gets you through the days...

Metal MAN>>It was late 1968. WHats up man?

Opet>>>NIce to meet you! You have a great outlook. I was thinking mad man rambling, or something like that.

And yep, Zep did help the hair bands out, and they helped USA Southern Rock too. I hate both of those off springs. But hey, When I first heard ZEP and SAB, I was but a youngster. My Uncle gave me teh 8 tracks to wash his 1974 Camaro. I ve been hooked since. I dont listen to Zep like I used to, but I would have to say they in my all time fav catagory.
Jethro Tull is an ASS KICKER. I love TUll, Ian Anderson is a WIZARD on a flute, and an acoustic guitar. I have about 10 or 12 Tull cd's, and some vynil.

I have all Zep and Sab(Ozz era) on original VYNIL. I have all zep singles on 45 too, all mint shape.

Originally posted by leadfoot256
Yes, I indeed plan on it. I rented Buffalo.... from a mainstream video store like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. I fotget which one.
Neither of those video chains has a store near me. The reason I want to rent it before I buy it(being a Hunter S. T. fanatic), is: Hunter was not pleased with this film. He called the director a bunch of names and shit(swine, fat bastard, etc). He had not much control over the film. He sad it was shit. But I still want to check it out.

ledmag: "I dont listen to Zep like I used to, but I would have to say they in my all time fav category."

I keep wanting to call you LedMan. (Zeppelin fan) I can relate to this. I used to sleep and breath to Zeppelin and after a certain point, I stop playing it so much...but when I hear it, it's so calming to go back to that point in my life. (10th-11th grade) I remember "No Quarter" supplied many goosebumps. ;)

"Jethro Tull is an ASS KICKER. I love TUll, Ian Anderson is a WIZARD on a flute, and an acoustic guitar.

There another great band I don't hear anymore. :( What the hell did I do with all those albums? Dammit. Maybe it's time to refresh my previous musical passions.

:)

"Like the wings of a dove, folding around,
I fade into this tender care."

You can have them.

As always , I love the subjectivity of musical tastes. Yes, I see LZ as a hair band also, but I'm thinking more in terms of the guitar riffs. Bands like King Crimson and Pink Floyd were to me Grateful Dead side-kicks - more of that "drug" music mentality - spaced out sounds (for lack of a better explanation). LZ had hints of this - but they tended to sound more straight rock with an edge [again, IMO]. - and D'yer maker does suck.

And it's good to see you take pride in yourself - no matter how twisted the logic ;)

Originally posted by Opet
ledmag: "I dont listen to Zep like I used to, but I would have to say they in my all time fav category."

I keep wanting to call you LedMan. (Zeppelin fan) I can relate to this. I used to sleep and breath to Zeppelin and after a certain point, I stop playing it so much...but when I hear it, it's so calming to go back to that point in my life. (10th-11th grade) I remember "No Quarter" supplied many goosebumps. ;)

"Jethro Tull is an ASS KICKER. I love TUll, Ian Anderson is a WIZARD on a flute, and an acoustic guitar.

There another great band I don't hear anymore. :( What the hell did I do with all those albums? Dammit. Maybe it's time to refresh my previous musical passions.

:)

"Like the wings of a dove, folding around,
I fade into this tender care."

Ha, its ledmag. WHen I first used that name, I never made the connection led zep, ledmag. IT has a meaning of its own.

ANyway, you need to get the new edition of Thick As a Brick. Its great. Remastered, with an extra version, and a live version, and a 16 minute interview. I still listen to tull some. I think i will in few minutes.