I just finished my Opeth Collection

ledmag

New Metal Member
Aug 31, 2001
Kentucky
Visit site
This is my 1st post here. I waited untill I got all their stuff before i decided to drop in.

Here is what I think of this band:
I Like them, a lot, thats obviose since i hav eall their cd's. I love ALL the acoustic work, the clean vocals are great. Teh growl isnt too bad either. A lot of the electric riffing is out of sight, some is just not up to my standards. Teh art work on all booklets is top shelf. The lyrics are all nice poetic phrases, but MIk seems to have just thrown most of tehm together,,,they need a new songwriter IMO. They need to shorten the songs a bit,,they tend to get boring after 10 hours of one song(better lyrics would help this problem). I have some complaints, sure, but that still does not hinder the fact that Opeth is one of teh most original (they remind me of YES) bands out today.

My fav cd is STill Life. My fav songs are The Moore and Leper Affinity.

My least fav cd is My Arms Your Hearse. I hate this cd, I wish I had never gotten it. The only thing I like about it is teh acoustic and the claen vocals. Morningrise is the second worst cd from them IMO, even though the bass is AMAZING, its still missing something, the lyrics on this one makes more sence than most, but as I said,,its still missing something.

Overall, they are a good band, not my fav band, but good. Well, thats my input. I may have more to say later,,and then again, I may not..

seeya

wooh....someone who put Morningrise as is second worst opeth cd...thats rare...
But i must tell you that to fully enjoy an Opeth CD you must at least listen it about 10 times each...and probably even more...

my first album i got was Morningrise and it took me a while to get into this album but now i consider this one as one of the best album in metal history...a breakthrough album...love this album so much that recently my cd get fuck at "To bid you farewell" so i decide to order a new one, it's essential to have all the song! :)

and i dont know why you dont like My Arms your hearse since this album sound like the usual opeth stuff...thats weird...

Well.. maybe Morningrise is the "least best" Opeth album for me.. no I think it comes 2nd.. after BWP.. whatever.. but it certainly isn't in the first 3 places :)
And I think MAYH isn't "the usual Opeth stuff".. Listen to Morningrise.. and then to Still Life.. I don't think MAYH fits right between those two.. there were a couple of changes in the line-up since Morningrise anyway.. I consider it (MAYH) as their most "violent" one, their "black sheep", but it's still my favourite Opeth album :)

yeah i must agree on that MAYH is their most violent one but you can still distinguish that it's Opeth and the main element that make Opeth are there thats probably what i mean...
as for the fav album i suppose it depend too on how much you like your Opeth...mellower or harder as i for myself i prefer the mellower side and thats probably why i prefer Morningrise too...

Well, Morningrise, It may get better, I just got it Friday night. Its still in my changer.

The 1st one I gat was BWP, It took several liastens to decide to get another. Then I got Orchid and MAYH on the same day. I instantly got hooked on Orchid, Its an amzing first effort. Then I got Still Life last week, once again, it took hold of me fast. Then as ive already said morningrise was last night.

MAYH>>I tried and tried to like this album. I think Ill try it somemore in a week or so, but right now, I just cant listen to it. Istill cant pin point just waht it is that i dont like about it

I liked MAYH significantly less than the others when I first heard it. I think it was due in part to the less crisp and more muddy production of it. But now, I've grown to love it and it's easily up there with the others.

My first Opeth album was MAYH.. And I fell inlove with it instantly! It is most definately their brutal album of the lot.. :headbang:

Yeah, your right, he is good with words. Its just that at times, its seems he had nothing on his mind to connect these phrases, maybe he does 'strain of thought' writeing. I just think it would help me to set through soem of teh longer songs with that type of lyrics.

Im not giving up on morningrise, and MAYH will be back in my changer.

"Teh growl isnt too bad either" one of the best there is " A lot of the electric riffing is out of sight, some is just not up to my standards." have you listened to it yet? "they need a new songwriter IMO" hahahahhah. "They need to shorten the songs a bit" hahahahaha fuck off , you can't be serious "they tend to get boring after 10 hours of one song(better lyrics would help this problem)" Opeth and Boring in the same sentence ,tis not possible .

"My fav cd is STill Life. My fav songs are The Moore and Leper Affinity." when an opeth fan can decide on a favorite song from a cd, then they haven't listened to them enough yet

"My least fav cd is My Arms Your Hearse. I hate this cd," ahhhh , your nuts ,, listen to it more before you say that.

That's the great thing about Opeth...they are so consistently brilliant that no one can pinpoint their so-called "masterwork".

Although I think it's MAYH, then again I'm really biased since it has my favorite song from Opeth (When) and it was first Opeth CD.

And as I mentioned in some other thread...I think Opeth has yet to release their best CD as well. Considering the flow of their songs is really improving, I do believe we will see a good combination of good leads/riffs and songwriting on the next one.

Originally posted by warsofwinter
"Teh growl isnt too bad either" one of the best there is " A lot of the electric riffing is out of sight, some is just not up to my standards." have you listened to it yet? "they need a new songwriter IMO" hahahahhah. "They need to shorten the songs a bit" hahahahaha fuck off , you can't be serious "they tend to get boring after 10 hours of one song(better lyrics would help this problem)" Opeth and Boring in the same sentence ,tis not possible .

"My fav cd is STill Life. My fav songs are The Moore and Leper Affinity." when an opeth fan can decide on a favorite song from a cd, then they haven't listened to them enough yet

"My least fav cd is My Arms Your Hearse. I hate this cd," ahhhh , your nuts ,, listen to it more before you say that.

Hey nice to meet you warsofKuminyourmouth. If you cant handle my oppinion, then you fuck off. At leats I like the band. I didnt come here like a DICK either, so calm down a bit, take a vallium. If Opeth was my fav band, then yeah, I probably would like every cd, and every song, I made it clear in teh beggining that i like the band, but they are not my fav. And I also made it vlear that I was going to giv ethe cd's that I dont care for so much, another chance. So pay attention next time too.

Oh yeah, and you act like Opeth is the only thing out thats worth listening to.
You had to turn this thread into a shit fight, didnt you.

Hey ledmag man, hows things?

It's good to see you on the opeth board...! Just ignore all the closed-minded and blind fools on this forum, they've got no idea what good music is aside from opeth... They need some Nevermore and Testament eh??

EVERYONE FROM THE OPETH BOARD: Have respect for this man...!

Wow, I must say I'm surprised to hear you say that you *hate* My Arms your Hearse. But, hey, to each their own.

The first Opeth I got was Morningrise, and I was so blown away. I actually got into them on a total whim. I saw the CD, liked the titles of the songs, decided to take a chance, and here I am, still impressed.

I've heard Opeth take a lot of shit because they don't act like dinks on stage (i.e. jumping around, coaxing in-between songs, etc), but I think the original idea of music was to "listen" to it; the live show just adds to the mood and feel of hearing it live. I think Opeth are, most definitely, one of the best bands out there right now. To come from Sweden at a time when the black metal thing was in full-force, they refused to ride the wagon and did their own thing.

I'd have to say my choice, if I absolutely had to pick a "bad" CD, is Orchid. That's not to say I don't like it; I just think it's fifth on the scale for me. There's classic shit there, though.

Well, just my nickel's worth.

Originally posted by PratlPoet
I've heard Opeth take a lot of shit because they don't act like dinks on stage (i.e. jumping around, coaxing in-between songs, etc), but I think the original idea of music was to "listen" to it; the live show just adds to the mood and feel of hearing it live. I think Opeth are, most definitely, one of the best bands out there right now.

I'd have to say my choice, if I absolutely had to pick a "bad" CD, is Orchid. That's not to say I don't like it; I just think it's fifth on the scale for me. There's classic shit there, though.

Yesh, their live attitude is just great.

But I'll have to go ahead and just disagree with you on the Orchid being "bad." It was what got me into Opeth, and frankly, I'd have to put it into the #1 spot. It's got a great, driving sound that goes throughout most of the album instead of just a couple songs on other albums. I know driving isn't needed for an entire album, but it makes it a great listen for me, especially when I'm trying to drive tired. The first and last tracks can keep me going through anything.

And since it's been the style of the times lately, I'll just post my Opethian order:
1) Orchid
2) Still Life
3) Morningrise (I don't like nectar :( ).
4) MAYH
5) BWP

As others have said - Opeth is an acquired taste. And it takes longer to digest Opeth than most other bands I've ever heard.

Nevermore & The Tea Party are next in line to Opeth for me, but Opeth has a package that differentiates themselves from others [IMO]. You mention lyrical weakness : I can't really comment since lyrics aren't so important to me. I find their compositions close to masterpieces in the metal world - they have few metal equals when you look at them as a whole [IMO again]. Until Opeth, I was never a fan of long songs - about 5 min. was enough for me. With Opeth, sometimes 10 min. is not enough.

Either way, welcome to this board, and for your honest opinion.

Opeth doesn't need a new songwriter!!! That's a hell of a thing to say. Opeth wouldn't be Opeth if Mikeal wasn't writing.
Oh, long songs are what Opeth do.
Mikeal's lyrics are awesome. I don't know of anyone who writes lyrics better then him. You must not understand what hes going on about. First realize that Still Life and MAYH are concept albums and that the lyrics are telling a story.
The man's a lyrical genius.
My Arms Your Hearse is a masterpeice!!!
That's my personal favorite.. The music and the lyrics and concept of that album are truly amazing. That album will grow on you quickly if you just really listen to it. Every word and every riff conveys images and feelings. ( The same can be said of Still Life)
Morningrise is a fine CD. The production is a little shitty but the songs are great. This is the first CD by Opeth I heard and was blown away. It is the CD that got me into Opeth.

Just have to say your opinions on Opeth suck.
Who is you favorite band then?