A different new opeth album thread

There's no point thinking positively - whether the album succeeds or not is all up to Mike and the band.

Opeth have clearly run out of new ideas which made the first few albums successes. If Mike remains lazy, simply throws repetitious 'riffs' together and relys on Steven's knob-twisting to make the paper-thin compositions appear sophisticated the album will fail. If, however, Mike works really hard, prepares early, and maybe reads some books on how to compose music instead of just emulating his idols it will be an interesting listen. Either way, i'm looking forward to it. Good luck Opeth, it won't be easy.

hibernal_dream said:
There's no point thinking positively - whether the album succeeds or not is all up to Mike and the band.

Opeth have clearly run out of new ideas which made the first few albums successes. If Mike remains lazy, simply throws repetitious 'riffs' together and relys on Steven's knob-twisting to make the paper-thin compositions appear sophisticated the album will fail. If, however, Mike works really hard, prepares early, and maybe reads some books on how to compose music instead of just emulating his idols it will be an interesting listen. Either way, i'm looking forward to it. Good luck Opeth, it won't be easy.

if mikael read books on how to compose music, we would not be talking right now...opeth would not exist...but preparing, and working hard, he is. his songwriting has improved by moonstrides, since orchid and morningrise...imo...the music flows so much better...their songs sound like one song, instead of 6 songs on one track.

JoeVice said:
if mikael read books on how to compose music, we would not be talking right now...opeth would not exist...but preparing, and working hard, he is. his songwriting has improved by moonstrides, since orchid and morningrise...imo...the music flows so much better...their songs sound like one song, instead of 6 songs on one track.

I agree, that was for me the trouble with songs like "Black Rose Immortal" (Yes, I took my name from it--but I can definitely see its problems!). While I think there were promising ideas in it, the problem was that there was nothing really holding all of the disparate elements together, and that's why I don't enjoy listening to it as much as other bands' compositions that have that length (ex. Pink Floyd's "Echoes"). It seems to me that MAYH is where they started getting a bit more unity in songs and even the album as a whole.