Are You Ready For A "No Opeth" Period?

It wouldn't make any sense for them to stop now. They have their biggest seller yet in Damnation which can only help sales of previous albums, and they have to keep the momentum going which they've built up. I agree there will be a break, they certainly deserve it. But I think it'll only be for 6 months then they'll start recording again and we'll have another record in a year to 18 months, which will finally get them the sales they deserve (platinum at least) and they can make some good money.

Hmmm I cant see them stopping yet, but they need a good break for sure.

A break can only serve to refresh them and their music... take as long as you need, lads!

Fear not people. Just saw them last night in Philly and they said they would definitely be back.

Perhaps right after the Deliverance/Damnation sessions, Mikael and everyone were really drained and so forth, however, I don't believe the band quite realized what a following they had here in the U.S. (in addition to everywhere else). With the U.S. tours being so successful, and Mikael really looking energized (last night I couldn't believe how much he was joking with the crowd, playing around on stage and just having a genuinely good time), I cannot imagine the juggernaut that is Opeth being cut off so prematurely.

Yeah Mikael even said at the end of last nights Philly show that they'll be back to tour their next album which will be out in a year or so.

I don't think they will stop now. They are selling the most records they ever had in their careers, their following is growing, they are all relatively young, I just do see it happening. I'm sure they will take a nice break after the damnation tour and probably start recording a new album in the winter time, but you also have to realize they released two albums in a years time, I don't think it would be too much to ask if we had to wait another year or year 1/2 for another album...

I'm fully prepared to wait while they rest. I actually feel sorry for them lately....so busy.

But what about the tour they're supposedly coming back in the fall for??

I can't see opeth stopping, I don't think akerfeldt exactly feels constrained within the boundaries of what he's doing, opeth has always been what he wants to do, not what is expected. I'd like to see more albums obviously, I'd never like to watch opeth sell out or release bad 'virtual XI' style albums though. At least one more stonking, life changing album and then they can call it quits :) its just... they're SO damn good lol.... there aren't many bands that release consistantly good albums and maintain their integrity, even when they start getting big like opeth are managing. watching opeth come from nowhere to where they are today has been awesome.

The guys deserve a rest. I think the Damnation tour has really been benefitial to the morale of the band members. I doubt they'll break up seeing as how their popularity is increasing tremendously; however, if they do I'll support the decision. It would be nice if they "bid us farewell," with another album.

I think the last two albums would be bad to go out on. They could have been a lot better, although the experiment was definately worth it and both came out well. The next one better be a concept. I think the world got cheated out of one this time with Mike's hectic schedule.

I always wondered why my screen sometimes goes really wide so I have to scroll sideways just to read the posts - :rolleyes: in this case it seems to be the huge block of text in Black Paragon's signature. No offence BP but it's a pain in the ass. :yuk:

I hope Opeth keep going..However Opeth do need a break (Mike is getting married) and they will need to write new material..This is Opeth's longest touring jaunt ever as the bands popularity has increased..I don't think Opeth wil stop here folks..

deathbearer said:
I don't think Opeth wil stop here folks..

Neither do I. This thread's topic changed, and I think we should give it (the thread) a rest :p
Just imagine what Mike would say if he read it..remember the "hair cut" thread? And now we're trying to predict their future?!

And I know I'm a hypocrite for posting again, based on what I said :wave:

Why is everyone talking as if Opeth is planning to quit? What the fuck? Thier doing quite well if you ask me, especially int he US, I see no reason for them to quite, the Opeth camp is doing good. And if they need a break well then I say gopher it. But You know back in the 70s and 80s bands weren't as lazy as they are today, back then bands like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath were releasing albums practically every year, now we have bands like Blind Guardian and Nevermore (who rule by the way) releasing albums every 3-4 years. What the hell is that all about? I look forward to many more years of Opeth, and if they call it quits, well then, I look forward to listening to the other musical endevours of the band members.

The only reason I even parenthesized if there would be a next album was based solely on an interview I read many months ago, and before all the success Opeth is seeing. Mikael mentioned side projects, and so many times that can lead a band astray.

All I'm really saying is after all the excitement this year with the release of Deliverance and Damnation, and all this touring (yeah - 3 times this year alone), that I assume they will go back to Sweden, kick up their heels, and be more in a mood to relax then to write. Who knows how long this will take, but I'm guessing it will be a year or so of "nothing new", as is normal with both bands.

We've all been so excited over these past several months.

Well ive been taking notice of Opeth's liner notes and the fact is these guys record a record every year just about...Since MAYH they have been recording pretty much non-stop...Still Life was released in 1999, BWP, 2000, Deliverance, 2002, and Damnation at the same time...i say they are in desperate need of some time off...if i were them, i would have dropped! o_O I wouldnt mind one bit if they took time off and didnt record another record for some time...But i certainly dont want them to break up...that would make me a very sad panda...:(
If they must break up, i hope they go out with dignity and grace...thats the only way a good band must go out...I dont wanna see another Alice In Chains repeat with these guys....However, i did read somewhere (the official site maybe) that if Opeth ever did become mainstream, they would come to a halt...i believe it was Mikael who said that...i can understand that really, but you guys are right, their following has grown alot without them becoming the next big fad and it would be a crying shame if they called it quits now...
even if Damnation sounds like a Swan Song....<_<