Opeth tonight in Duisburg, Germany

Finnn

...for my demons
Sep 7, 2002
Visit site
:wave:
I just returned from this awesome, but sadly little attended, Opeth gig in Duisburg. I'd guess that there were about 150-200 people there. This could've been due to the short notice on the concert and even Mikael mentioned that they didn't know they were going to play there until some days earlier. Since they are currently touring as support for Type O Negative around here they had to expand the setlist for a headline gig 90 minutes. As a special treat they played Masters Apprentices live for the first time ever. (At least that's what Mikael said :cool: )

The Setlist as far as I can remember has been :

Godheads' Lament (thx to boywithnoarms)
Masters Apprentices
Drapery Falls
Deliverance
Harvest
Advent
A Fair Judgement
Demon of the Fall

Near the end of the show Mikael mentioned an upcoming Damnation tour and that they've already been rehearsing songs like Benighted, Face of Melinda, etc. to fit in a Damnation show.

This was my first, but not last, Opeth gig and it was actually better than I had expected it to be. (If that's possible...) :Spin: :)

Opeth_Pulp_02-07-03_066.jpg

this pisses me off. MA is my favorite song off Deliverance, and they play it NOW, when the next time they get back to the states its gonna be just acoustic... they better have another tour after the one with Porcupine Tree... and they better play MA

Holy shit! They played MA? That rocks! Wish it was on their set list for the states last month :(

Matt
Finnn said:
:wave:
I just returned from this awesome, but sadly little attended, Opeth gig in Duisburg. I'd guess that there were about 150-200 people there. This could've been due to the short notice on the concert and even Mikael mentioned that they didn't know they were going to play there until some days earlier. Since they are currently touring as support for Type O Negative around here they had to expand the setlist for a headline gig 90 minutes. As a special treat they played Masters Apprentices live for the first time ever. (At least that's what Mikael said :cool: )

The Setlist as far as I can remember has been :

The Leper Affinity
Masters Apprentices
Drapery Falls
Deliverance
Harvest
Advent
A Fair Judgement
Demon of the Fall

Near the end of the show Mikael mentioned an upcoming Damnation tour and that they've already been rehearsing songs like Benighted, Face of Melinda, etc. to fit in a Damnation show.

This was my first, but not last, Opeth gig and it was actually better than I had expected it to be. (If that's possible...) :Spin: :)

Opeth_Pulp_02-07-03_066.jpg

Yeah, Finn, this was a fucking amazing concert!
I came home at 6am... couldn't catch the last train home in düsseldorf...
the first song was godhead's lament, for sure. ;)
after demon of the fall I was one of the lucky ones, who shook hands with peter and mikael.
An experience I will keep forever in my memories...

btw. after the gig of the "night in gales" the bassist asked me, if I smoke there a joint, because he saw my eyes (which are somehow natural stoned looking ;) ) and me smoking a handrolled. Well, I was sorry that I had to dissappoint him :D ;) for this time...

boywithnoarms said:
Yeah, Finn, this was a fucking amazing concert!
I came home at 6am... couldn't catch the last train home in düsseldorf...
the first song was godhead's lament, for sure. ;)
after demon of the fall I was one of the lucky ones, who shook hands with peter and mikael.
An experience I will keep forever in my memories...

btw. after the gig of the "night in gales" the bassist asked me, if I smoke there a joint, because he saw my eyes (which are somehow natural stoned looking ;) ) and me smoking a handrolled. Well, I was sorry that I had to dissappoint him :D ;) for this time...

Godheads' Lament ? I'm still not sure about it, my mind seems to have blacked out for a while as they entered the stage, but it makes more sense otherwise they wouldn't have played any song of Still Life. Gonna change that in my post. thx :)

I thought it was funny that in the breaks between most of the songs at least one of them played Damnation songs for a couple of notes. Only to tease us, the bastards :erk:
:D
Opeth_Pulp_02-07-03_072.jpg

Ahhh!

I was there too, it was such an awesome concert - the very best I've seen up to now! The atmosphere was just great, and Mikael talking between the songs... it was just funny as he did not remember the title "Advent" :rolleyes: "Now we're gonna play a song off our second album Morningrise, it's called... Black... eh, no that was wrong... eh...." :D
And yes, the first song definately was Godhead's Lament.... "Searching my way to perplexion, aaahh" ;) It was just asskicking.

BTW; maybe one of you guys has noticed me, I was that idiot who lost his glasses while headbanging to Demon of the Fall :( my neck is still aching.... ^^

Does one of you know this girl I talked to who did not know Opeth and didn't like Metal at all, but who seemed quite nice :rolleyes: ? I even missed the chance to ask her name, shit... I saw that her friends were somewhere further at the front, so maybe one of you...? The only Opeth song she knew is the one I'm listening to at the moment - "A Fair Judgement".

The only thing that sucked was that I had to go to school today and I did not sleep before 2:30... I didn't get much at schoo today as you can imagine ;)

Tomorrow or Saturday I will get the photos of that gig and I'm gonna post the best ones here, maybe I'll set up something on my HP (Yeah, I'll do that in English ;)).

@Hate Fever: Have fun tonight!!

The concert was even one more evidence that Opeth fans are all cool guys! Next time I'll be there again. And I'm going to the Vienna metal festival inAugust too, a pity that Opeth won't appear there :(

So see ya !

U lucky bastards.You lucky bastards.

HOW THE HELL DID U GUYS KNOW ABOUT THIS GIG? HUH?! WHERE DID U HEAR ABOUT IT FROM?

hamse masters apperentice gespielt? das kann doch ned wahr sein ... neeeeeeeeee :cry:
LEUT ICH WILL PHOTOS! und zwar SOFORT!

U lucky bastards.

[Ich hab auch erst Dienstag von dem Gig gehört und mir spontan Karten reserviert, hab da nämlich zufällig hier im Forum von gelesen ;) ]

*NP: Opeth - Master's Apprentices*
I am not a fan of deliverance, but the song rocked live... you missed something, really. But I would have preferred being informed earlier too, but like this it was a great surprise! If Tuesday morning someone had told me that I'd watch Opeth the next day, I probably would have declared him insane :D

And keep cool, I'm gonna upload some good pics as soon as I have them, but this depends on my friend, he is not very fast ;) He still hass my Still Life Shirt, too, argh...

Edit: Oh fuck, my voice is collapsing at the moment... I sang along too much yesterday I think, and my voice is quite sensitive. Hm, no matter, it was wort it. BTW, how long does it take you guys to let your hair grow that length?

midwintertears said:
U lucky bastards.You lucky bastards.

HOW THE HELL DID U GUYS KNOW ABOUT THIS GIG? HUH?! WHERE DID U HEAR ABOUT IT FROM?

hamse masters apperentice gespielt? das kann doch ned wahr sein ... neeeeeeeeee :cry:
LEUT ICH WILL PHOTOS! und zwar SOFORT!

U lucky bastards.

The gig was mentioned on www.opeth.com , that's where I got the info from.

Finnn, you aren't by chance the guy who borrowed my friend's batteries? Just an idea, cause there were not so many people with digicams... would be interesting to know ;)

Joe nearly lost the camera as the guys in the front were poging, that sucked a bit...

nope I didn't :) I ran out of batteries once and promised myself never to let that happen again ;)
but I ran out of memory space :( lol