Are You Ready For A "No Opeth" Period?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
I'm certainly not. I base my assumption solely on intuition. Thank goodness I was able to see them live 3 times this year.

Months ago, I read an interview where Mikael said he was very tired after recording Deliverance/Damnation. It was very draining. Now, they are on the back end of a very long tour promoting first Deliverance and now Damnation. When the tour ends, I have a feeling that there may be a break before the next album (I hope I'm right and there is a next album). I know I sound pessimistic, but the guys must be exhausted, and not focused on writing new material.

Urgh. I hope if they do decide to end it some time, it'll be well expected in advance. I don't want to suddenly read "Opeth call it quits!" on Blabbermouth one day like with Immortal.

I have a feeling that if there's a really long break, that chances are that they will disband. It's happened with alot of bands.. where out of the blue you just have a 'we're breaking up' message and it's so unexpected, it just devastates you.

As far as a little 'No Opeth' period goes.. yeah, that'd be fine with me. I still have over a decade of their music to digest and appreciate more, I think they've given us plenty. Also, lately i've been getting into alot of other music.. mainly Children of Bodom, so I'm sure that could keep me going.

I love them, but I say they go out on a high note. Release one more album, do a huge tour. Play their final concert, move on to side projects and other things. I don't want the guys to quit making music, I just think that "Opeth's purpose" has been fulfilled, and they need to carry on with different artists in different bands in different directions.

Fervisson said:
I love them, but I say they go out on a high note. Release one more album, do a huge tour. Play their final concert, move on to side projects and other things. I don't want the guys to quit making music, I just think that "Opeth's purpose" has been fulfilled, and they need to carry on with different artists in different bands in different directions.

No no no no noooooo :cry:

They can't break up, ever. I don't care if there are times when they go for 3 or 4 years without making a new album, but they can't break up :yell:

I know there's gonna be a break from music for at least a few months for Opeth, but I think the Damnation tour is actually giving them a different perspective on playing music, and thus refreshing them at least a bit. I would be surprised if there wasnt another 2 albums. They seem to be a good group of people. Besides Mikael mentioned their next album to be the most brutal shit ever at the NYC show.

I can wait a year or two. I'll finally be able to listen to some other stuff :p

sf

I wouldnt care greatly if Opeth would disband, hopefully Mikael can start again with a fresh approach and do things differently. May allow him to do something truely unique and inspiring. I have no doubt future albums will continue to be good, like their recent efforts, but i'd much prefer something that was outstanding to my ears (which deliverance was far from).

Scourge of Malice said:
they better go out with a bang whenever they do. like create the most amazing cd ever, and they have a huge tour for it. If they went out after damnation that would be very dissapointing.

I agree.They have had huge success with D1 & D2,each cd is an example of how diverse they are at songwriting.Throughout there whole catalouge
each album has that trademark opeth sound,but there is always a different twist or direction to make the last album different to the next one.And like someone was saying before,this is thier buisiest period as a band,and going straight back in to songwriting will drain them a little and in turn we might not get an album thats as good as it can be.And i have heard in various interviews that they are planning to keep on touring until summer next year.

I say they dont shit on their legacy,even if we have to wait till 2006 for a new album,at least we know that they have had 3 years to write it,so its almost guranteed that it will be a fucking masterpiece as usual.Then i think they should call it quits.

We are talking about a bunch of guys that still cannot make enough money to live freely.
Give them a break.
Let them breathe.
Let them do.
Maybe Damnation sells enough to continue.
Does anyone get it around here....

Or are we all so concerned about us rather then Opeth.....