Are You Ready For A "No Opeth" Period?

They are not going to break up!!!!!!!! :yell:

Everyone is talking as though Opeth's demise is imminent, when there is no reason to come to that conclusion, or to even entertain the idea :mad:

You maybe right, Beth but the thing is, it may happen...Ive seen it happen before with alot of bands who are on a good road *COUGHSoundgardenCOUGH* so....you know...

haha....well what I'm saying is that just because some people may think that Opeth have "fulfilled their duties," there is still no reason to start predicting and trying to make sense out of something that we have no reason to believe is a threat.

Beth said:
They are not going to break up!!!!!!!! :yell:

Everyone is talking as though Opeth's demise is imminent, when there is no reason to come to that conclusion, or to even entertain the idea :mad:

I never meant it to sound that way. All I'm saying is that after Blackwater Park, there was a lull just waiting for the next release. At this point in time, there is no known future of Opeth, other than the tour will be over soon. I'm just not looking forward to a year+ without new material. I know it's how it has to be, but these guys are so incredible that I'd love to have a new album out every year, and for whatever reason, I don't look at the last three albums as something downhill as some do. I've been witnessing a phenominal progression in a bands life. They get more diverse and better with age - at least that's how I feel.

It will be dull around here pretty soon.

Well i think you guys are just spoiled with Opeth releasing record after record...i mean it boggled my mind they have 7 records since 1995! Shit man! most of the other bands i listen to only have around 4 records since that time...Alot of bands that have around 7 records end up breaking up anyway...but who knows..like metalmancpa said, there really is no known future of Opeth except whats in the minds of the band members themselves...

Moonlapse said:
As far as a little 'No Opeth' period goes.. yeah, that'd be fine with me. I still have over a decade of their music to digest and appreciate more, I think they've given us plenty. Also, lately i've been getting into alot of other music.. mainly Children of Bodom, so I'm sure that could keep me going.

I agree... and Children of Bodom is excellent! My 2nd/3rd favorite band.

Maharet said:
You maybe right, Beth but the thing is, it may happen...Ive seen it happen before with alot of bands who are on a good road *COUGHSoundgardenCOUGH* so....you know...

soundgarden rules!! they used to be my favorite band back in high school. then metallica, megadeth, nothing for a while....in flames and then opeth. i feel lucky for catching soundgarden during their tour in '96...and i will definitely feel lucky for catching opeth after this current one! i doubt anything like this will happen again.

kevin

If they did decide to call it quits I wouldn't like it but I'd be relieved. I like em so much that if they ever released a mediocre album I would be crushed. I don't think a break would be coming either. They don't hit very many cities and I imagine they don't rake in the cash too. They have a good thing going for them and I don't think Mike sees writing new music as work. He just always seems to have lots of it ready to throw down for the next record. There is also no way in hell Opeth could ever go mainstream. Songs are just too long and editing wouldn't be allowed. If by some miracle they did go mainstream...I would seriously die happy.

metalmancpa said:
"Thank goodness I was able to see them live 3 times this year."

Yeah, this IS one hell of an area. :D

I have a feeling that there may be a break before the next album (I hope I'm right and there is a next album). I know I sound pessimistic, but the guys must be exhausted, and not focused on writing new material.

Yeah, no shit! I just read a review from the Philly tour and the guy claims Mike said "they would be writting a new album next year sometime."

Fervisson said:
That's not very realistic now is it? :tickled:
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

;)

Oyo said:
I would rather they break up now than continuing to release mediocre albums :(

"continue releasing mediocre albums"??? I'd love to see you write music that you would consider supreme to BP d1 and d2...

obviously opeth has spoiled us all, we expect too much out of the rest of the metal music genre :tickled:

Narcisco,

I agree mate. They have given us themselves and we can't ask more than that. They owe us nothing but I gladly accept all they choose to give. Nevertheless I would sorely grieve were they to break up.

As I undertsand it they have only a small following at home but a massive support base OS. They need to make their own minds up about when to record, what to record and when to tour.

I hope they recharge and write as soon as they are ready to and not a moment sooner, as long as it takes.

If by some miracle they did go mainstream...I would seriously die happy
No way! I wouldnt! id be a sad panda, because thats not what Opeth wants! Id rather see the band do what they want and be happy doing it than them doing something that the world "expects" of them! thats no way to do what you love for a living...
I hope Opeth stays in the same status as they are now...Highly respected with a decent following but not all fucking mainstream....

Sfarog said:
"continue releasing mediocre albums"??? I'd love to see you write music that you would consider supreme to BP d1 and d2...

obviously opeth has spoiled us all, we expect too much out of the rest of the metal music genre :tickled:

That's so irrelevant, just because I'm not a musician doesn't mean I can't state that they have released mediocre albums

I meant that I hope they can make it mainstream with the style the have perfected. Not compromising AT ALL. If that style ever gets excepted(which I know will never happen)I would rejoice and embrace the Opeth commercials and promotion bits. I just wish they got payed enough to live very happy and play where people can sit down and enjoy the show.

I don't like the fact that Opeth are saying that they are taking some "time off" from each other. This (not likely) leads bands that split up. I really hope it's not the case now anyway. To answer to first question: No, I am not ready for a non-Opeth period. I just want more from them!!!