axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
One-Way Mirror – One Way Mirror
Metal Blade Records – 27th June 2008 – 3984-14677-2
By Axemaiden

onewaymirror.jpg

One-Way Mirror are a collaboration heavy metal group comprised of Guillaume Bideau from Mnemic on vocals, David and Franck Potvin from Lyzanxia and Phase I on lead and rhythm guitar and backing vocals, Loic Colin from Scarve on bass and Dirk Verbeuren from Soilwork on drums, as well as being recorded by Daniel Bergstrand (responsible for Meshuggah). With all of these members present it’s not surprising that One-Way Mirror’s influences sound like a mixture of melodic death metal, speed metal and groove metal with a little bit of metal core thrown in for good measure. Think of a sort of combination of Meshuggah, In Flames, Soilwork, Sick Of It All and Killswitch Engage and you’re heading down the right sort of path.

One Way Mirror itself is a good, solid album; personally it isn’t one of my favourites though, as I’m not particularly keen on the more In Flames and Killswitch Engage-esque influences (the singing especially), but there is some fantastically brutal drumming and extremely dirty guitar riffs which definitely redeem it for me. Another reason it’s not a particular favourite is that many of the songs are very similar sounding to one another, a couple of stand out tracks to listen to however are ‘As You Are Now’ for the drumming and rhythm guitar riff and ‘Danger Calling’ for the rhythm and lead guitar sections. Definitely worth checking out if you are a fan of some of the aforementioned bands.

Official One-Way Mirror Website
Official One-Way Mirror Myspace
Official Metal Blade Records Website