Online mix recommendations? [resolved]

NeonMetalDude

Feb 2, 2016
Hey guys, I've been trying to get an idea as of late of what to expect out of a mix for what kind of money, when it comes to online mixing. Do you think it's possible to get a solid mix in the 250€ to 400€ area or do I simply need to come to terms with the fact that if I want my music to sound really good (I like Johan Ornborg of Fascination Street Studios for example - http://www.fascinationstreet.se/staff/johan-oernborg), I'm gonna need shell out 500€ and more per song?
Also, could you please be so kind and give me any recommendations for mixing services in the 250 - 400 that you think I should check out? Or should I stop looking and rather focus on increasing my mixing budget?

I appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks!

IMHO you should choose a person who makes your music sound the best to you. Whatever that means, not tied to a specific price.

Then again, you should spend the money you feel your music is worth to you, and that goes for a lot more than just mixing.

IMHO you should choose a person who makes your music sound the best to you. Whatever that means, not tied to a specific price.

Then again, you should spend the money you feel your music is worth to you, and that goes for a lot more than just mixing.

Well, I do have real world limitations though :) . I mean, to me, the songs are worth 1000€/song (or that's how much I'd shell out if I had that much money lying around), but that's not an option at the moment, so I gotta either find something I find satisfying in that price range I mentioned above or just wait some more. And that's what I'm trying to figure out :) .

Of course there are limitations hehe

Did you ask for a quote from Johan already?

Of course there are limitations hehe

Did you ask for a quote from Johan already?

I did. I'm not sure to what degree one's supposed to disclose estimates given in a private conversation, but it's in the "above 500€" area.

Alrighty. If you like his work and think it would suit your material and needs, then by all means shell out the money for it. You can perfect the material during the shellout. :)

Just my honest oppinion, you can and will of course do what you want. :D

Alrighty. If you like his work and think it would suit your material and needs, then by all means shell out the money for it. You can perfect the material during the shellout. :)

Just my honest oppinion, you can and will of course do what you want. :D

Well, unless I can find an alternative, that's what I'm likely going to do. Right now, my wife wouldn't put up with it though, so I'm still hoping for a recommendation that I'll like. Thanks for your input rapucore!

Is this for just one song or an album?

You should definitely keep looking, in my opinion. More than 500euros per song is quite a bit of money, there are definitely many more affordable options out there if you look hard enough. Personally, I would only consider paying that amount if I was confident I could earn it back through sales of the album/merch, live shows etc. (or if I had it just laying around :p) Looking through older posts in this forum you'll find a lot of talented people (who don't really post as much these days).

Is this for just one song or an album?

You should definitely keep looking, in my opinion. More than 500euros per song is quite a bit of money, there are definitely many more affordable options out there if you look hard enough. Personally, I would only consider paying that amount if I was confident I could earn it back through sales of the album/merch, live shows etc. (or if I had it just laying around :p) Looking through older posts in this forum you'll find a lot of talented people (who don't really post as much these days).

Well, truth be told, I have little illusions about making any money back tbh. It's more a thing for me where I wanna record my songs and see what comes out of it and how far I can take it, so I very likely might end up giving my music away and only accept optional donations.

As for the mixing, I guess I'm stubborn and can't accept going under a certain quality that I have in mind (within possibilities, of course), which in this case might mean waiting and saving up more. We'll see how that goes I guess. I mean, I imagine even if I'll have to pay big $$$ and find virtually no success with the EP, at least I gave it a solid shot at some point and I'll have a great mixed record that I can brag about in front of my grandchildren one day. I mean, 500€ and more definitely seems like a ton now to me as well, then again, the way I see it, one day I'll be 70 years old and thinking "Damn, I'm a fucking idiot, I could have spent ......€ more on the record and gotten the thing I wanted. I don't even know what I did with those extra money I saved anymore." Might make me sound like a rich douche, but it's more growing up in a family where music played a huge role (dad played for a living, mom writes lyrics/poetry), so that's where my priorities are.

Do you maybe have any favorite mixing services that you would recommend? I've gone through a bunch of threads using the search feature, but it's kind of a very "chaotic" searching process, so I'd appreciate any specific recommendations. Thanks!

EDIT: But the point of this thread is for me to figure out whether I HAVE TO save up more or whether I can find something in this price area.

Last edited:
Reactions: rapucore
Well, truth be told, I have little illusions about making any money back tbh. It's more a thing for me where I wanna record my songs and see what comes out of it and how far I can take it, so I very likely might end up giving my music away and only accept optional donations.

As for the mixing, I guess I'm stubborn and can't accept going under a certain quality that I have in mind (within possibilities, of course), which in this case might mean waiting and saving up more. We'll see how that goes I guess. I mean, I imagine even if I'll have to pay big $$$ and find virtually no success with the EP, at least I gave it a solid shot at some point and I'll have a great mixed record that I can brag about in front of my grandchildren one day. I mean, 500€ and more definitely seems like a ton now to me as well, then again, the way I see it, one day I'll be 70 years old and thinking "Damn, I'm a fucking idiot, I could have spent ......€ more on the record and gotten the thing I wanted. I don't even know what I did with those extra money I saved anymore." Might make me sound like a rich douche, but it's more growing up in a family where music played a huge role (dad played for a living, mom writes lyrics/poetry), so that's where my priorities are.

+1

I don't think "making the money back" is essential or a priority. If the EP or recording in general pays itself back, then that is just a (very welcome one though!) bonus.

Reactions: NeonMetalDude
I don't think "making the money back" is essential or a priority.

I don't think you can make that kind of claim for someone else without knowing his financial situation or several other factors that come into play. Making the money back would be pretty essential for me since it's money that I just can't spare for something I see mostly as a hobby. Especially since I know I can get great results with way less. For example, I mixed my band's album myself (and it was mastered by bogren) and I'm far from what you'd call a professional engineer, just a guy messing around in his bedroom, yet I got (and still get) nothing but positive feedback for the overall production. I know it's not perfect, but my point is if I can do it, you can be damn sure there are other people out there that can do it, and at much more reasonable prices.

Do you maybe have any favorite mixing services that you would recommend? I've gone through a bunch of threads using the search feature, but it's kind of a very "chaotic" searching process, so I'd appreciate any specific recommendations. Thanks!

EDIT: But the point of this thread is for me to figure out whether I HAVE TO save up more or whether I can find something in this price area.

Our financial situation might be different, but personally I'm quite certain I'll never regret not spending more money to have Jens Bogren mix my album. I might think back and wish that I could, because I love his work, but I'll still believe that the album reached it's full potential even without a 8000euros mix.

Well, in the end it's up to you, I'm just saying I, personally, couldn't justify spending that kind of money for mixing, and you seem to be in a similar situation.

As for suggestions, I haven't really kept track of the guys who's work I liked, there are quite a few, but two that come to mind are these:

https://www.facebook.com/stymphalianproductions/
http://www.lasselammert.com/

No idea about their rates, though.

Kinda disappointing that you haven't received more replies about it here, this place use to have much more traffic.

I don't think you can make that kind of claim for someone else without knowing his financial situation or several other factors that come into play. Making the money back would be pretty essential for me since it's money that I just can't spare for something I see mostly as a hobby. Especially since I know I can get great results with way less. For example, I mixed my band's album myself (and it was mastered by bogren) and I'm far from what you'd call a professional engineer, just a guy messing around in his bedroom, yet I got (and still get) nothing but positive feedback for the overall production. I know it's not perfect, but my point is if I can do it, you can be damn sure there are other people out there that can do it, and at much more reasonable prices.

Our financial situation might be different, but personally I'm quite certain I'll never regret not spending more money to have Jens Bogren mix my album. I might think back and wish that I could, because I love his work, but I'll still believe that the album reached it's full potential even without a 8000euros mix.

Well, in the end it's up to you, I'm just saying I, personally, couldn't justify spending that kind of money for mixing, and you seem to be in a similar situation.

As for suggestions, I haven't really kept track of the guys who's work I liked, there are quite a few, but two that come to mind are these:

https://www.facebook.com/stymphalianproductions/
http://www.lasselammert.com/

No idea about their rates, though.

Kinda disappointing that you haven't received more replies about it here, this place use to have much more traffic.

Yeah, I think it all comes down to personal preferences and such. I understand where you're coming from. I've done my mixes so far as well, played them to some fellow musicians and got positive feedback, but then again, I have huge respect for the pro guys and I think they could bring something extra to my songs. But there's an undeniable charm in doing the mixing yourself and probably even the benefit of knowing how exactly you want your record to sound, so I give you that.

Also, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of replies with suggestions as well. I read a thread like this from 5 years ago or so and there were many great recommendations, but I was looking for some more up-to-date info. Oh well, at least I'm having a good conversation with you and rapucore in the meantime while I wait for more :) .

I don't think you can make that kind of claim for someone else without knowing his financial situation or several other factors that come into play.

Based on what @NeonMetalDude said in his posts, getting back the money seems not to be the first thing on his mind (though it might of course be on his mind, but just not the first thing). And I was talking generally - more or less - of people in the same situation, as in wanting the best for your own art (of course in the realistic limits you've set yourself).

And what comes to justifying spending x amount of money on x is only personal preference. I'd very much justify spending x kind of money on x if I knew it would satisfy and benefit me to the fullest, since if I wouldn't invest on somebody then who would invest in me? I'll always mix my own stuff, but I would gladly handle the recording phase to a fellow engineer so I could focus 100% on the musician part of myself.

Not all will agree this, but then again neither did I when I was younger. And by no means starting a fight, only stating my own oppinions. :)

But there's an undeniable charm in doing the mixing yourself and probably even the benefit of knowing how exactly you want your record to sound, so I give you that.

Agreed.

Based on what @NeonMetalDude said in his posts, getting back the money seems not to be the first thing on his mind

Getting back the money might not be the first thing on his mind, but he definitely seems to have a concerns about spending too much of it, that's the whole point of the thread. I don't really disagree with most of what you say, I just don't necessarily think that what's best for your art is throwing money at it.

I don't really know what Neonmetaldude has to sacrifice in order to come up with that money, that's why I'd never encourage anyone to "don't worry too much about it, just do what's best for your art". If the only concern here is to be patient for a bit more time, work a few more shifts, cut back on a few unnecessary expenses etc. to save up the money, then by all means go for it!

Btw, I didn't assume you were starting a fight, and neither am I. Nothing much would come from any conversation if everyone always agreed with each other.

Last edited:
Getting back the money might not be the first thing on his mind, but he definitely seems to have a concerns about spending too much of it, that's the whole point of the thread. I don't really disagree with most of what you say, I just don't necessarily think that what's best for your art is throwing money at it.

I don't really know what Neonmetaldude has to sacrifice in order to come up with that money, that's why I'd never encourage anyone to "don't worry too much about it, just do what's best for your art".

It's not always best to throw money at your art, you're correct on that matter. But this thread is about NeonMetalDude looking to hire a mixing engineer to take his material even further, thus wanting to throw some money at the art. I stressed the fact that he will be the ultimate boss of what amount of money is manageable. And a good point is that the best mixer for his material might not be tied to a price, let alone to 500+ per song area as a lot of talented audio engineers work at a fraction of that.

And what comes to the "don't worry too much about it, just do what's best for your art", I never stated that the best thing would be to spend immense amounts of money on a given subject, as the best thing is very subjective. That's why he has to weigh wheter Johan or someone else is the correct person for his material thus opening the price range to whatever.

My point in shelling out cash to one's given passion is that you can't really put a price on something that means the life to you - of course assuming that NeonMetalDude's music is very important to him. And I stressed a lot of times that there is no correct price, it too is very subjective.

Look it at this way, a lot of people will say that they will dedicate 100% to something, lets take whatever hobby as an example. As rational persons we all know that the 100% is not 100% of everything, you can't dedicate 24 hours a day to something like swimming. What I'm trying to say is that everyone has the freedom to dedicate 100% to something, but that will ultimately be measured individually. What spending 100% to something - from my position - would be to spend all time/money/concentration to a given subject AFTER all the necessities. As in spending all the money that is left after paying rent, bills, food, living etc. As I don't know NeonMetalDude's financial situation and it is not my business at all, I can't make an assumption that he could justify spending x amount of money on mixing. But I can make an assumption that he can shell out the subjective amount of money needed should he choose to do so. Maybe not in a month, six months or a year, but someday.

Aah would you look at that, now I'm rambling (as if I hadn't done it already in this thread). :lol:

In the end, this all boils down to personal preferences.

Some more recommandations, all are dudes from this forum that are doing great work to my ears :
Christian from Studio Haga : http://www.studiohaga.net/
Brian from 456 recordings : http://www.456recordings.com/
Ermz from Systematic Productions : http://www.systematicproductions.com/

Don't exactly know their rates and what you need precisely, but if you like what you're hearing / if it fits your music and your goal, you can still ask for a quote.

You still can elaborate a bit on what you need ? Musical style (maybe some demos/examples ?), is editing/reamping/mastering needed...etc ?

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, don't want to come across as rude by not responding, so I thought I'll let you know I ran into some unexpected health issues tonight and I probably will have to rest up for a while before I come back (don't worry, I'm not dying, so no need to pity me, but I am admittedly in quite a bit of pain atm tbh, which makes concentrating hard). Thanks for the recommendation and discussion, I'll be back soon, take care in the mean time.

Keregioz & rapucore - guys, no worries, I'm not gonna start selling organs to get a record mixed, no reason to discuss it in such detail ;) . Mixing is important to me, but at this point I'm mainly trying to figure out the price of it, I'm not going to take out a mortgage tomorrow on my house or anything like that. As I mentioned before, I have a current budget I can spend now, so I want to know whether that's enough or whether I need to save extra and that's about as deep as I'm going to go right now. I don't like making decisions blindly, so I'm asking for info.

TRUIE - thanks, I'll check em out!

Jaymz - emailed.