Opening a distro

MajestikMøøse

Membrum virile
Jul 28, 2003
Not Siberia
For a couple of days I've been pondering this thought. I have the monetary resources to start something and I have sent out a few emails to see how easy it is to procure some albums at wholesale.

Apparently it isn't that hard since I've already recieved responses from Moribund Cult and Profound Lore Records with wholesale lists and prices. So basically with about $500 I could stock 7 or 8 items in small quantities, enough to sell and make a meager profit enough to order in some more, new, stuff and expand inventory. Eventually, I could perhaps add on a small independent record label and release a tape or a 7" or something and keep expanding that way.

Does anyone here have any experience in running distro or have any thoughts to share on this possible venture?

Something I would like to do as well, from what I understand it can be an awfully thankless job (as in get paid enough to operate and that's it), but fuck me I'd love to do it.

My dream plan is to open a record store and after that's all established and turning a profit (if it worked anyhow), then set up a small label.

by no means am I going to make any significant money from this, but it would be nice to do a little sales here and there to help promote music that I like. Another UMer by the name of Marksveld is working together with me on this, although I am the one with (about 90% of) the money.

I would love to know the in's and out's, but I guess I might be past it now, heh, but I'm glad some of you young 'uns are flying the flag!

Based on the recent thread that NAD posted about wanting to open a record store, it dawned on me that the reason why actual "brick and mortar" stores such as Aquarius or Vintage Vinyl charge higher prices is because they have the overhead of owning the store itself (i.e. rent, paid staff, etc).

Anyway, I don't see why an on-line distro couldn't be achievable with minimum funds -- as long as your heart is in the right place, which it certainly seems to be if you're not looking at this as a means to make any serious profit.

Got any ideas for bands/genres you'd want to promote? In other words, are you going to specialize in anything?

BloodStainedWalls said:
Shit, I wouldn't give two flying fucks about profit. A little would help but damn...I would have the time of my life!

exactly my thoughts.

Jaykeeley said:
Got any ideas for bands/genres you'd want to promote? In other words, are you going to specialize in anything?

I'm thinking of primarily doing a doom metal/black metal/experimental/ambient distro. I'd like to put special emphasis on the doom though, since I know of many black metal distros but few distros that specialize in doom (but that might just be a result of my own inexperience). I'd like to secure some Skepticism and Worship (if I can, seeing that all of Worship's stuff is limited and "kvlt"). Since I like Black Metal a lot as well, I was going to make out an order to Moribund for some USBM and I also sent out an email to David Gold to see if he would let me buy off a couple copies of of his new album to sell.

I just put in an order to Profound Lore for some Melechesh - "The Ziggurat Scrolls" EP (10" Vinyl, limited to 500 copies) and Leviathan - Tentacles of Whorror (2LP limited to 500 copies on Blood Red Colored vinyl with exclusive bonus track) This will start me off hopefully if they accept the order.

Wow, you're already making the first moves. That's cool.

And yes, there aren't nearly enough distros that specialize in doom (at a decent price).

You need to speak to CCP Records and get several copies of Estatic Fear out to the stateside. Seriously, you'll probably get a few buyers immediately here knowing our tastes.

And of course, Royal Carnage will throw a link up for you.

NicodemiX said:
I was wanting to bother Negru or Beastial Records for some early Negura Bunget stuff as well.
When it comes to NB, get lurch70 in the mix for this. Put it this way, Negru actually responds to lurch's e-mails.

JayKeeley said:
And yes, there aren't nearly enough distros that specialize in doom (at a decent price).

yeah, there's a lot of stuff i want to order from allthatsheavy/stonerrock.com .. but ugh, their prices :yuk: (not like i could find most of it anywhere else anyway though, i'll break down eventually , heh)

but yay for you matt (and max)

i'm all over those melechesh vinyls for sure

Just got word back. The first order (Melechesh and Leviathan vinyls) is a go. Woot!

I'll be sure to let everyone know when I start taking orders.

I'll def want the Melechesh.

So have you given any thought to naming the distro? Do you have to patent the name, along with domain name, etc? Are you setting up the site yourselves?

well, I was working on that deal since 2 days ago.

I'm not patenting a name or anything. We're simply calling ourselves Ancient Wind Records and if we end up opening a label then we can see what legal measures need to be made, but as it stands I don't think I REALLY need to do that. We are setting up the site ourselves. Its at www.ancientwind.tk although it is VERY nonfunctional at this time.

Great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Labels are always more than willing to send you stuff wholesale, but you have to buy it in quantity.

As a business owner myself, I have one very big word of advice for you. Make sure you have money set aside for advertising. But if you are just in it for the heck of it ... then whatever.

When it comes to NB, get lurch70 in the mix for this. Put it this way, Negru actually responds to lurch's e-mails.
I have not spoken to Negru in a long time. They are busy working on the new record and also setting up a label as well.

He did email me at one time a wholesale list of all the goodies they have, but from what I remember the prices were not that great.

As some of you may know, I maintain the Aural/Code666 webstore and I know they do good there with sales ... but selling metal is not as easy a task as you may think.

Good luck to you and let me know if I can help in some way.