Opeth – The Roundhouse Tapes

TheWyvern

Oct 22, 2006
Opeth – The Roundhouse Tapes
Peaceville Records – No Barcode – Out Now
By Dan Fisher

opethroundhouse.jpg

To the outsider, Opeth sometimes seems to be like a soap opera. Who has fallen out this week? Who's leaving the show? Who's slept with who? Okay maybe not the last one. But you would be forgiven for wondering what Opeth are going to do next after a year or so of changes. Well, here we have evidence that they are continuing to build in the right direction for the follow up to Ghost Reveries. The Roundhouse Tapes is a live record that was made during the band's visit to the The Roundhouse venue in London. Basically, the set list reads like a Opeth fan's dream come true, with extended versions of Blackwater Park and Under The Weeping Moon from Orchid.

The artwork is melancholic, minimalist and achingly tasteful, with the ghostly image of the maiden on the front conjuring the women in Akerfeldt's songs. In the image, the woman is revealing her face from behind a mask, and I wonder whether this is alluding to the nature of this album, where the songs are laid bare for people to examine. Using the analogy further, if it were to sit an exam, then this album would pass with flying colours. The intricacies of texture, the nuances of loud and soft, the brutality of the voice, the dissonant folky guitar work coupled with power chord bombast, the ethereal keyboards, the majestic Gilmour-esque lead lines. A stopgap release this isn't. You get the impression that here is an example of a band at the peak of their powers and we are left desperately hoping that their next release lives up to expectation. It won't of course. Because whatever our expectations are, there are sure to be some new elements to the band that will require analysis. Until then, let us just be content with this collection of treasures mined from the past.

Official Opeth Website
Official Peaceville Website

I want to see Under the Weeping Moon live to be honest. It's one of my favorites.

this release reminds me of how much i miss seeing opeth live... 2008 will be great! still a bit bummed they didn't just go ahead and do the dvd... probably the record company trying to get more money out of us rabid fans.

Wait a sec... extended versions of certain songs? Are they significantly different? I never normally get live CDs but if this has different versions of some of their classics I just might.

No, no extended versions. Don't know what the guy means by that ... There are some details here and there different in all the songs, and the addition of keyboard to the whole thing gives an extra layer to it, but other than that, the songs are the same as the album versions. Still great though ;)

To a kid who is completely ignorant of how good opeth are, would you reccomend this or a completely different opeth album for a beginner?

Hmm I'd either go for this, Ghost Reveries, Still Life or Blackwater Park.

People can't tell you what's good... listen to it, and if you like it, then it's good. :p You're getting something fairly different with each CD that will take time to get into... so people can't really just recommend starting at a certain place... just grab one, then grab the next, etc, etc... until you've heard them all. >.>

aka what Fubar said. :) ...but really... you could watch their last DVD...

Good review, this is a perfectly adequate live album, which i usually avoid, and the setlist is a nice surprise. Good that they didn't just gof or a 'greatest hits' type affair.

They had to delay it to make sure that each riff is repeated as much as possible to keep intact their signature epic sound. :lol: Also they need to find some of these "fans" to record those fan interviews for the DVD... I mean, 2,000 sales in a world with multiple billions of people... the search will take a very long time! :)

Yeah I'm just teasing. I'll probably check out the DVD but I won't be too interested in it considering it will be 2 years old by that point.