Opeth and the Seasons

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
I've just noticed, all of Opeth's albums can be connected to a certain season IMO. Here is what I have found to be a very interesting breakdown of the albums and which season they (somewhat) relate to:

Winter:
Orchid ("Burn the winter landmarks..." Under The Weeping Moon)
Blackwater Park ("We entered winter once again..." The Leper Affinity)

Spring:
Deliverance
Damnation

Summer:
Still Life ("Sigh of summer upon my return..." The Moor)
Gost Reveries

Autumn:
Morningrise ("Cloak of autumn shroud..." TNATSW)
My Arms Your Hearse (Demon of the Fall)

Btw, this is not meant to be serious but something I thought of about the overall mood of the albums and their similarity with the certain seasons. Some people might not look at music in this way, but it is an interesting perspective regarding the mood music creates and also the effect of the seasons on the senses which sometimes can be quite similar :)

Pretty much all the albums seem wintery to me. I listen to Opeth way more in the winter. Maybe it's because there's so many references to winter or fall and hardly any to other seasons, maybe it's just the vibe of the music...I don't know.

I've been a fan of Opeth for about 6-7 years now, and every year when spring/summer rolls around i find it nearly impossible to listen to opeth. i still listen to it daily during these times, but i dont feel it emotionally as much as if it was the dead of winter or during the coldest days of autumn. to me that is my autumn/winter every year, opeth. during those times i cant listen to anything BUT opeth.

orchid is a cd that to me brings out the best in the coldness of a winter night. listening to it in my car while freezing and waiting for the heat to kick in is when songs like under the weeping moon or the apostle in triumph best shine.

morningrise is my cd during the late december weeks around christmas. i know some of you may not dig christmas, but it is my favorite time of the year, and i recieved morningrise as a christmas present from my girlfriend some years back, and i remember just listening to advent in repeat(ironic, advent is celebrated in december).

still life & blackwater park have been played alot during these past couple months during autumn, but they shine best for me during january/february when it's still freezing.

deliverance/damnation these two albums are best during december and january, deliverance especially is so hard to listen to during the summer.

ghost reveries songs like hours of wealth and beneath the mire were played so much last winter, hours of wealth for some reason feels very wintery to me.

metal_wrath said:
Autumn:
My Arms Your Hearse (Demon of the Fall)

considering the whole album relates to the change of the seasons, this is a foolish statement

I've found all my musical tastes revolve around with the seasons. Like the origional post, some songs just mean more to me at certon times of the year. To me Still Life and BWP and MAYH are more winter. But to generalize a bit, Opeth as a whole is a Fall/Winter band. Thats when I enjoy them the most.

Some other Fall bands...

Moonspell
King Diamond
Ozzy
Nightingale (more winter)

it is a good observation...

during winter i find myself listening to BWP and Damnation
...come to think of it, Opeth is a very "winter" band.... i feel like a fashion critique.

its without argument that the atmosphere of sweden takes a huge effect on thier music... i hope to god they dont do any writing in say, nebraska... it would kill it if mikael started singing about a Chevy and instead of brutal death riffs, we get some country...

it is a good observation...

its without argument that the atmosphere of sweden takes a huge effect on thier music... i hope to god they dont do any writing in say, nebraska... it would kill it if mikael started singing about a Chevy and instead of brutal death riffs, we get some country...

I've thought about this before. How the brutalness of the Swedish winter effects the inhabitants. I've never been there in the winter months, I was there in summer (only a few days) beautifull country BTW.

From what I understand, there are a few months which very little daylight hits the landscape. Think of the emotional toll this takes on ones mind. For me, even going one week without seeing the sun is torment, let alone months. This would have to play a role in the Sweedish metal scene as a whole, and is probably why so much great music comes from that area.

Just a thought