OPETH are about to break....

zephead2112

Sep 22, 2004
Suffolk, UK
www.simplyled.net
...Big time.

Look at the reviews coming in, the 'chart' positions, etc. Is this a good thing?

I am obsessed with Watershed; it is a brilliant album. My question is, how will this errrr, well, 'watershed period' influence Opeth?

I feel positive; I think they will continue to reach new heights and pioneer, despite their increased success. They are, in my very humble opinion, the most enjoyable (you don't hear that word used often here!) contemporary band on the scene. I could have used a ton of adjectives there but enjoyable captures many things!

Opeth are in a genre of one, as one perceptive journo stated.

Long may they reign....

Eh...

Didn't quite understand your post...
But it sounds like you like Opeth and that's all that matters.

I think they will continue to gain popularity until they become the 12th largest economy in the world, just behind Belgium.

I don't want them to become so big that I have to fight for tickets to concerts. I like the small venues and where you're given a few feet of breathing room instead of being crammed in like sardines. I do wish for them to have their pockets full of cash though. Sad thing is, touring is where a lot of that money comes from.

I wouldn't worry about all that shit. I mean, just enjoy the music and don't worry about things like the band you like selling out (because that's what the threadstarter's post boils down to).

Enjoy the music, that's what it's all about. As for Opeth going to shit because of success, I don't believe it will ever happen. It seems that Mikael truely loves music (whatever genre it may be) and writes music that he loves and wants to write. Yes, being in a band is a career, but it doesn't seem that he writes music with only the dollar in mind (unlike some other bands I won't mention). As long as he keeps doing that, we'll keep on getting quality, amazing music from him (no matter what direction it goes in).

Bands evolve, it's a normal thing.

I'm kind of disappointed that back in grade 6, a friend showed me Opeth, and I was floored. I was proud to own an Opeth shirt and wore it quite often. Then all of a sudden, there were tons of Opeth shirts around, people who I didn't expect. There just seemed to be swarms of Opeth fans, and it seemed like Opeth just became popular all of a sudden. But then again, maybe it's just metal in general seeing that I see everything from Blind Guardian apparel, to Black Dahlia Murder and Iced Earth apparel as well.

mmmmmmmmmmm..............sardines.............

I'm not nervous about this. Opeth fans need to keep their faith in the band, and not worry about how the mainstream may affect them. Metallica got stupid and look at them now. In my eyes, they're a complete washed up joke. That's what the mainstream did to them. I can't see Opeth going that route. They have something different than your typical mainstream band. They have heart, and they'll stay true to what they do best, which is making awe-inspiring music. There is no end to their creative drive, and sure, fans may be dissapointed with certain songs/albums, but even THEY can admit, that it's still better than anything else out there. They are the kings of modern thinking person's metal, and all that it's made up of. :worship:LONG LIVE THE KINGS!!:headbang:

Mike is not going to let fame get to him, neither will the other guys. But if they do get a top 10 single or something i can imagine a backlash from alot of "Fans".

I hate the selfish pricks and cunts that can't seem to handle Opeth making money. I'd wish Opeth all the wealth in the world simply for MAYH.