OPETH are about to break....

They are not selling that many records.

very true. i think roadrunner said that GR has sold like 90,000 copies.

watershed will probably break 100k.

for the type of music they play its selling pretty well i suppose...but i dont think well be seeing gold or platinum records anytime soon.

On the one hand, it's fucking GAY that Opeth is becoming mainstream, and I totally admit that's my purist/snob/immature fan side.

On the other hand, good on them for getting to a point where they probably can stop eating beans eggs and toast for breakfast/lunch/dinner, and support themselves and their families comfortably.

Another point is that this is good for music as a whole: the real metalheads here know (I'm excluding the typical Opeth fanboys from this because you don't count and don't know shit) that Opeth are one of many creative bands in the extreme metal world. That they have been able to break out like this is a good thing for rock music overall.

We have been plagued by shitty rnb pseudo-music for too long now, as well as "pretender dirtier rock music" in the form of hardcore and emo. It is about time that a true musical force emerged in the more extreme side of rock-based music, and their increasing popularity may well educate many around the world in terms of what rock based music is capable of in 2008, given they've grown up not knowing what it's like to have bands like Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Rush, Dio, Rainbow, Journey etc etc leading the way.

So, despite my typical leanings of "oh it's shit because they're becoming popular" I think it's also a good thing for public awareness of what can be achieved with this kind of music, and that just because it doesn't sound all rosy and Celine Dion-ish, doesn't mean it cannot be appreciated as an art form.

it's interesting...I am delighted if Opeth sell tons of records and start appearing on TV as that means that the mainstream has shifted. If that happens, then it's a question of whether the mainstream affects Opeth or Opeth are able to continue being who they are whilst still having the respect of the mainstream. I think that's possible, as true artists like Kate Bush or Pink Floyd have shown. They become so big that the mainstream can't ignore them, yet they keep their integrity. Look at how the media fall all over Zeppelin now, but hated them so much in the 70's..Zeppelin won!. I think as long as Mike (who is clearly the creative force) is interested in making music, and their management make good decisions...things will work out fine. Fans will come and go....

its mainly because people who like opeth are people who actually buy albums at the store

Obviously it doesnt really matter if other members of Opeth exit the band, so I say shoot for the top. As long as Mikael doesn not sell out, which will never happen, Opeth will continue to be a thriving city on the moon.

Once Opeth make their first appearance on MTV, I'm going to really start wondering what the crap is going on. After that, I'll do this: :puke:

Well it was nice having you as a fan. Now go find another unheard-of band to woship until they are recognized for their genius and then curse them and move on the the latest garage band in your neighborhood. See ya!

On the one hand, it's fucking GAY that Opeth is becoming mainstream, and I totally admit that's my purist/snob/immature fan side.

On the other hand, good on them for getting to a point where they probably can stop eating beans eggs and toast for breakfast/lunch/dinner, and support themselves and their families comfortably.

Another point is that this is good for music as a whole: the real metalheads here know (I'm excluding the typical Opeth fanboys from this because you don't count and don't know shit) that Opeth are one of many creative bands in the extreme metal world. That they have been able to break out like this is a good thing for rock music overall.

We have been plagued by shitty rnb pseudo-music for too long now, as well as "pretender dirtier rock music" in the form of hardcore and emo. It is about time that a true musical force emerged in the more extreme side of rock-based music, and their increasing popularity may well educate many around the world in terms of what rock based music is capable of in 2008, given they've grown up not knowing what it's like to have bands like Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Rush, Dio, Rainbow, Journey etc etc leading the way.

So, despite my typical leanings of "oh it's shit because they're becoming popular" I think it's also a good thing for public awareness of what can be achieved with this kind of music, and that just because it doesn't sound all rosy and Celine Dion-ish, doesn't mean it cannot be appreciated as an art form.

Opeth isnt "fucking" becoming mainstream, get a grip man - Selling an increased number of records doesnt mean that they increasingly become more mainstream, what a shit post.

The reason why opeth is climbing on the sales list is because metal people buy more records than other mainstream music fans. Opeth's music isnt becoming mainstream, opeth is just earning a bigger recognition for their music.

It's an interesting Catch 22: band is too small, doesnt sell records, breaks up. Band is too big, sells shedloads of records, has more money than sense, next thing you know they start hanging out with Joel and Benji from Good Charlotte, recommending video's of Sum 41 on TRL, wearing 'Draven' footwear and touring the country with Avenged Sevenfold.

:puke:

Opeth aren't a big band in the great scheme of things. Top Jazz artists sell more albums than they do. I think one thing we, as fans, are anaesthetised to, over a period of time, is that they are actually quite shocking to listen to when you first come across them.

Thinking back to when i first heard growling (Cannibal Corpse when I was 12) I was totally freaked out by it, but you get used to these things. Of course I came to realise that growling was/is often representative of the dark lyrical content that runs through alot of metal. It enhances the power of the music, pushing it into the realm of the sublime (something that in the classical senseof the word, is supposed to fill you with fear and awe at the same time)

Opeth will never become huge because it takes too long for noobs to 'get' them. They are not an instant gratification band and thank fuck for that because I wouldnt have it any other way.

Reached #7 in Australian charts I think.

Now THAT is fecking weird. The general Australian population usually has very poor taste with everything since 1990.

Number 1 in Finland :Smug: Finland is teh kvlt!

Well, as we all know metal is quite popular in Finland. However, it has to be noted that the record industry is a slow market in Finland, especially during the summer. Still, pretty awesome.

I wouldn't worry about all that shit. I mean, just enjoy the music and don't worry about things like the band you like selling out (because that's what the threadstarter's post boils down to).

Enjoy the music, that's what it's all about. As for Opeth going to shit because of success, I don't believe it will ever happen. It seems that Mikael truely loves music (whatever genre it may be) and writes music that he loves and wants to write. Yes, being in a band is a career, but it doesn't seem that he writes music with only the dollar in mind (unlike some other bands I won't mention). As long as he keeps doing that, we'll keep on getting quality, amazing music from him (no matter what direction it goes in).

Bands evolve, it's a normal thing.

I agree with this post

Good music eventually bleeds to the masses. I hate when I read things from people getting pissed off that their band goes "commercial", in the sense that more and more people are starting to like them, and being played on the radio and such. Its not like Opeth are going to suddenly appear on a grammy show. They are getting respect, which they deserve.

Simply put, "fans" who get pissed because their favorite band is getting too popular is nothing more than selfishness. That's all.

I agree with this post

Good music eventually bleeds to the masses. I hate when I read things from people getting pissed off that their band goes "commercial", in the sense that more and more people are starting to like them, and being played on the radio and such. Its not like Opeth are going to suddenly appear on a grammy show. They are getting respect, which they deserve.

:kickass:

Why is Watershed in the charts? Because people who like Opeth buy the records, while the world of shit music struggles with downloads/piracy --> reduced shit music album sales --> space for Watershed.

While I don't really like the addition of the keys and the "proginess" of Watershed, I think that Opeth selling a shit ton of records is great. When you have fuckup nu-fags like Disturbed selling millions of album copies, nothing can be better than more people being exposed to fantastic music like Opeth. After hearing Watershed you'd assume people would check out their previous albums, and if they respect and appreciate Watershed it will only get them into the heavier sound by listening to their older discs, thus expanding the metal community! Until Opeth gets to the "In Flames Break Point" (which is debatable exactly when this was since IF have sucked for so long) I think it's good for them. I don't think Mike would really be swayed by chart positions. I think it would motivate him to top his previous effort and make something even more profound, whatever direction it may be...

I always see Disturbed and other shit albums in the front of stores and I always cringe at the face that shit like that is what is popular and yet amazing musicians such as Opeth are not. So what I like to do is take all of the Disturbed (or what ever band I like the least) albums and put them somewhere strange that they are likely not going to be found soon. Then I take all of the copies of Opeth Watershed and I put them in the front.

Yeah it's stupid I know... but I find it fun and it feels a bit like justice.