Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Damnation

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Ghost Reveries

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Watershed

Votes: 8 9.4%

• Total voters
Blackwater Park or Damnation (seriously, everyone likes this album), but as everyone said; it depends on what music the person listens to. If I were to recommend an album to someone who listens to black metal, I would pick orchid or morningrise for example.

^Fair enough, but their musical background is going to impact how that take an album, so if you want to show someone an Opeth album and give them the best impression of the band then knowing their musical background is fairly integral. There really isn't one album that represents Opeth as a whole, but I guess bwp represents a large portion of them. So it's pretty odd it's not listed in the poll.

Still life for pure genious, Ghost Reveries for accessibility. That's how it was for me at least. I needed GR to really get into the band, but when I did I quickly saw SL as the masterpiece.

All albums. PERIOD.

I hate when people say things like this. I once asked someone which album they recommend I listen to to check out a certain band and they said 'all of them'. Great. Real helpful, because I have time to sit and listen to nine albums in a row, and I'll definitely be able to take in all that music at once of course.

The best way to get into a band is to take one album at a time and let it sink in, then move on to the next one and do the same.

Blackwater Park. It covers so many areas of the band, and is polished enough so that a first time listener will be able to appreciate it. It's the album that got me into the band back in 2001, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Still Life, Ghost Reveries, and Watershed are all decent choices as well.

Clearly it's Blackwater Park for me. Any beginner can find something good in it, from the epic clean part (Devious movements etc) in Bleak to the softer Harvest, or the catchy and accessible The Drapery Falls, or if they want bone crushing heaviness, The Leper Affinity and Blackwater Park are always there! To me, it's a really well rounded album that anyone can get into!

I got into Opeth through Deliverance I also had a go at getting one of my mates into them with that song it got him completely hooked :D. Recently though I played a guy several softer Opeth songs which were face of Melinda (which he quiet liked but he wasn't fan of Jazzy chords so meh ) Hours of wealth (which he loved) Hope leaves (another success) but he hated the Drapery falls. I can now vaguely recall strongly disliking that song when I first heard it. It didn't sound like anything I'd ever heard before but the intro kinda annoyed me. I personally think its better to do it by songs because a lot of people wouldn't have the patience to listen to an entire album.

If i was gonna choose an album it would depend on who I was introducing Opeth to because I can imagine different people liking different parts of their discography but I reckon most people would dig Ghost Reveries. The only reason that album was unpopular was because It didn't stand up to their earlier works but if your introducing it to someone who has never heard any of Opeths earlier works there will be no comparison.