My Opeth listening dilemna

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
My 1st Opeth album was BWP. I've since purchased all of their other works.
I have 2 copies of BWP, one in my car, one at home. It's really the only album I listen to in full, and after 4-months of it, it seems my favorite song (now up to #4) is shifting again - now to The Drapery Falls. My dilemna:
I can't get myself out of BWP, and I still have 4 Opeth CD's to go, which I assume will present this same problem on each. I've listened to them, but not with the attention for detail I've been giving BWP. So, that will take me me some time into 2003, by which time this double album I've heard about may be released, which will add more time - 2004 maybe?
So, how the hell do I get into anybody else with all of my time tied up in Opeth? Yes, since Opeth, I've learned more about European metal, purchased the new Dimmu Borgir album, downloaded songs from Borknager, In Flames, etc. to check them out. But my head is stuck in the BWP jewel case.
So please, any advice? (of course, if your advice is keep up the good work, then I'm OK with that):)

Keep up the good work! >:eek:P Hehe...

No, but seriously! Blackwater Park is a GREAT album,
I had it the same same way with Still Life...
Had no room for anything else...
I think you'll "get over it" (as in still loving it,
but letting yourself explore other albums too >:eek:P ),
with some time... :eek:)
But it will always be "the one", don't you think?

forget other bands, focus entirely on opeth! :loco:

i can see your dilemma. you must put BWP away. you're just gonna have to force yourself to listen to another one of the opeth cds full-time. ONLY THEN can you move on to the next one. if you try to listen to them all at once, it'll be sensory overload and you'll only half-listen. get yourself to the point where you can hum to all albums, and THEN you can begin to pick and choose which cd fits which mood.

there. that'll be $50. :cool:

I agree with Lina here all the way...Ever since I found Opeth, I've been in a Morningrise fix, (on and off, mostly on), so it's the one I know best but I lent it out to a friend for a few months and discovered an Orchid in the shadows, getting dusty. I can now hum along to both of them. (It's a great feeling when you realize you know the albums back and front...seems like I like them best now that I know exactly how they will go). when I got Still Life I also listened to it non-stop. I know that one almost as well too. Still working on My arms, Your Hearse and Blackwater Park, though. I just have to find a way for Blackwater Park to make it into my CD played insted of Morningrise, Orchid or SL. It's tough to fully get into them. I recommend you force yourself to listen to one of the others instead of Blackwater Park. Lend out both copies, like I did.

yeah, i think still life and BWP are easier to access compared to the others. and considering all the albums are great it doesn't matter too much. i advise you make a mix cd/tape consisting of all opeth tracks, then you can listen to BWP songs and sneak some others in there.

Originally posted by metalmancpa
My 1st Opeth album was BWP. I've since purchased all of their other works.
I have 2 copies of BWP, one in my car, one at home. It's really the only album I listen to in full, and after 4-months of it, it seems my favorite song (now up to #4) is shifting again - now to The Drapery Falls. My dilemna:
I can't get myself out of BWP, and I still have 4 Opeth CD's to go, which I assume will present this same problem on each. I've listened to them, but not with the attention for detail I've been giving BWP. So, that will take me me some time into 2003, by which time this double album I've heard about may be released, which will add more time - 2004 maybe?
So, how the hell do I get into anybody else with all of my time tied up in Opeth? Yes, since Opeth, I've learned more about European metal, purchased the new Dimmu Borgir album, downloaded songs from Borknager, In Flames, etc. to check them out. But my head is stuck in the BWP jewel case.
So please, any advice? (of course, if your advice is keep up the good work, then I'm OK with that):)

That's a difficult dilema mmcpa. I don't have the answer.

Well, all I can say is that I strongly recommend long periods of listening to each album, but for me the change from one to the next just seems to come naturally. It's not like I get sick of listening to a particular CD, it's just like "hey, I might give that a spin." And give that Dimmu Borgir album a play as well. It's very good. :)

Still Life was my first Opeth album and it really impressed. After purchasing Morningrise I've been listening to it mostly. Every now and then I give SL also a spin in my player, but mostly it's Morningrise. So I actually have the same problem. I didn't completely get into Still Life and now I don't have time to play it, since Morningrise takes all my Opeth-time. And it's the same thing with all albums. So I have thought that Morningrise was actually a bad choice and I should have bought the other albums first. Well, maybe I'll have to lend it to someone for a month or two.

haha
good one :D

but who got the will-power to just take out an Opeth album from the cd-player?!
but then again it was an Opeth album that was going in again... so ok, JUST TAKE IT OUT!! harr harr :loco:

I listened to Morningrise for a year.

A YEAR!

One (1) full year. It was a compulsion.

Of course I tried to listen to the other albums, and got to know them somewhat well... but it was Morningrise and Morningrise alone I knew every second of. For a few months after that, it was Still Life, and then I finally came to know Orchid fairly well (although I'm still not 100% there, I must admit). Around the time this forum came to be, May 2001... I came to realize that MAYH is my favourite. It was a huge and strangely shocking thing for me. In the time since, I've really gotten a good grasp of them all, listened to BWP a lot, and I really find it quite easy to digest, and it doesn't quite do it for me to the same degree as the earlier ones, particularly the "big (middle) three".

Eventually you will overplay BWP (much like I did with Morningrise) and you'll come to appreciate the others fully with due time... one of 'em might just surprise you.

For me BWP was the easiest to get to know, and I stopped listening after a few months naturally... I knew it to well. Mayb the same will happen with you? But I feel that some of the other albums may give you more back than BWP so its really worth trying...

My first album was Still Life and I, like you and every other, rushed out and purchased all the Opeth albums in a sort of "this is to good to be true" hypnosis. I have listened (in order of release) to all albums (inc BP since the release in March) coming up to 2 yrs straight (they are all my favourites) and also have trouble leaving room for other artists. Imagine experiencing what you are now with BP fivefold!!! I do agree with previous comments, I gave each album heaps of plays before I moved on to the next. Opeth albums really should have a warning sticker "so fucking brilliant it may break your brain, can also cause shrieking" Go for it, play Still Life NOW! :D (work your way backwards even)

An interesting dilema, ;for me it's the reverse! I buy the album ( BWP), am so blown away that I buy all the others, and then skim over them all and not concentrate on one. Eventually I return to one and work at it ( 'Still Life' in my case) and then cannot put it down!

Anyhow, the dilemma is a fairly normal mental situation which has overcome me with many albums over the years; some albums just have that power to keep you coming back for more (and then, all of a sudden, you get sick of it - with the exception of a few jewels)...

It happened to me with In Flames' "The Jester Race", My Dying Bride's "Turn Loose the Swans", Moonspell's "Wolfheart", Metallica's "...And Justice For All", Edge of Sanity's "Purgatory Afterglow", Opeth's "Morningrise" and "Still Life", Rotting Christ's "A Dead Poem", Megadeth's "Rust in Peace" ..... etc.etc.

Point is, you'll get over it ............................... one day.:loco:

Okay, I forced myself to throw the Morningrise into the case (a few posts above I wrote about my Morningrise problem) and put My Arms, Your Hearse in the player. In just three days I've listened to the whole cd something about twenty (20!!!) times and guess what's playing right now ;) . In addition, if I had just a few minutes time, I've played one or two songs to fill the gap. It's unbelievable how much new I've found in that album during these three days, even though I had listened to it quite a many times before. And the result of that is that now I have two equally favourite Opeth albums instead of one. And besides, I think it's a better way to get familiar with a band (especially a band like Opeth) by DEDICATEDLY listening one album at a time.

Next I'm going to point my eyes towards Orchid.:headbang: