Still Life

still life is a great record. my buddy loaned me his copy and i'd never heard anything like it. needless to say, it made for a difficult listen. i had to come back to it after having digested some of their other work, but now it's one of my favorites of all time. godhead's lament is a must. it and the moor alone are worth the price of the record.

The one thing I simply cannot comprehend is how someone can't like Still Life's so-called "soft" songs (i.e Benighted, Face of Melinda) and yet they absolutely love BWP (Harvest, Patterns 1&2, TDP, etc).

The logic in that doesn't make any sense to me, because musically they are all great in Opeth style.

Of course it's my opinion, but I still think it's fact whether you believe it or not :)

I generally regard SL as my least favourite Opeth album, but when I actually think about it, it's not really true. I just can't listen to most of the songs induvidually, and rarely have the time or the concentration required to listen to it all the way through. Only song I can really listen to on its own is Face of Melinda. The rest just don't sound right without each other...

Best advice I can give you is to just buy it. No matter what you're looking for in an Opeth album, chances are you'll find something in at least one of the songs to make purchasing the CD worth your while.

A lot of people dislike Ghost Reveries, but I really think it's one of the better albums Opeth has put out. Although I really can't pick a favorite album, and if I did, it would be a tie between My Arms, Your Hearse, Morningrise, and Blackwater Park.

Ghost Reveries is fucking brilliant, anyone who disagrees is just riding the "omg its new so it suxxx" bandwagon. Only song that Opeth has ever made that "sucks" (in a word) is TGC. That's it.

as opposed to most of the members, I don't have a definative favourite.

I do, but only for time periods. There are times that I can't listen to anything but still life, times I loop the drapery falls and fall in love with that atmospheric sound, times i hear windowpane and feel like cutting my vein (hehe), times I put on ghost of perdition and fucking wanna kill someone (in a good way : P).

About still life's sound quality.

It's horrible, I love it. If still life would've been produced and mastered as clean and defined as ghost reveries for example, I think it would never have been the same.. I know it sounds weird, but it's what I feel

Get it!o_O

They complain about one of the guitar channels fading in and out in The Moor. Personally, I just overlook it. It's not really that noticeable unless your speakers are far apart from each other, then you can tell that one of them cuts out.