Opeth Bonus Tracks... Any good?

the two on the mayh reissue are good, possibly the best cover songs i've ever heard.

the one on the orchid reissue is alright, it isnt good quality at all but its interesting to hear a rehersal recording done by opeth.

as for the one on the morningrise reissue i've never heard it.

Morningrise comes with a track called "Eternal Soul Torture".

Let's just say they couldn't have picked a more suitable name.

Originally posted by CAIRATH
Morningrise comes with a track called "Eternal Soul Torture".
Let's just say they couldn't have picked a more suitable name.
Agree :s

The two songs on MAYH are quite good, and the one on Orchid is ok.

The only "bonus " track I've ever heard is their cover in Iron Maiden's "remember tomorrow". Pretty good, close to the original and I like hearing another opeth song with no death vocals...

The MAYH re-realease has two covers in good sound quality - the Iron Maiden cover was recorded with the new lineup (with the two Martins) and the Possessed cover with the old line-up.
The Orchid and Morningrise re-realeases have real Opeth songs as bonus tracks. Those are from a very early period of the band. The sound quality sucks, it's not even demo quality, but the songs are really cool. Especially Eternal Soul Torture (the bonus track of Morningrise). They are more brutal than the material on the first two albums, but still have those mellow and hypnotic parts. Eternal Sould Torture wouldn't sound as good if they would re-record it...it somehow lives from the 'dirty' sound and playing IMO.

The bad quality bonus tracks on Orchid and Morningrise definitely lessen the experience of the albums. As is, I have to program my player not to include them every time I listen to one of those two cds, but the stuff on MAYH is actually good - it doesn't make you turn down the volume as a reflex.

The bad quality bonus tracks on Orchid and Morningrise definitely lessen the experience of the albums. As is, I have to program my player not to include them every time I listen to one of those two cds, but the stuff on MAYH is actually good - it doesn't make you turn down the volume as a reflex.
I know, that sucks, if you listen to them from CD. I always copy my albums onto MD when I get them and only listen to those copies...
I've moved the bonus tracks to the beginning of the albums - so that they are always the first track on the MD. When I don't want to listen to them I just skip the first track and start with nr. 2...

I think they're great. ESPECIALLY the earliest ones. They're great to me because they've given me the actual audio beginning of Opeth. The first recordings they thought just might get them noticed.

I like them. Remember tomorrow, however, is my favorite.

I'd say get original bonus-less albums if you can, and just download the bonus tracks somewhere. They kind of mess up the album.

The two MAYH ones are good though. The two earlier ones have painful sound quality, but it's interesting to hear parts of songs in them that would emerge later.

-Hondo

The songs are good, but they ruin the albums by their presence - like it spoils the experience. And the sound quality of the two early ones is bad.