Opeth Brisbane gig - now only 18+

I didn't know they'd changed it from all-ages. That is absolutely atrocious. I remember hearing Mikael apologise for the "problems"... but I didn't know what he was talking about.
Those poor kids who had booked flights for the show. I know what it's like, I used to go to tons of shows before I was 18. If this happened to me, I would want to kill someone. Mikael said they will be playing again in 8 months. We should petition them to play somewhere like the Riverstage, or even the Convention Centre if they take all-ages gigs.
Fuck the Arena, the venue security were bashing up guys in the crowd. Mikael stopped the show so that everyone could watch what the bouncers were doing. Probably saved a life. Again, fuck the Arena.

Ah, 'nother fine example of a venue being a bunch of utter cunts. No show, repeat NO SHOW, should EVER be 18+ in the first place! Let alone 21+, that's just taking the piss.

Is it because of alcohol? That must explain why a 16 year old can enter the non-bar parts of a pub (read: non-bar parts of a venue) and in some countries drink alcohol with a meal in a restaurant.

Do I have to be 18 or even 21 to buy an Opeth cd? Thought not. Thats the argument I always use.

Just remember...be angry for sure, but not at the band. Just the venue! Call em wankers down the phone or something.

I didn't know they'd changed it from all-ages. That is absolutely atrocious. I remember hearing Mikael apologise for the "problems"... but I didn't know what he was talking about.
Those poor kids who had booked flights for the show. I know what it's like, I used to go to tons of shows before I was 18. If this happened to me, I would want to kill someone. Mikael said they will be playing again in 8 months. We should petition them to play somewhere like the Riverstage, or even the Convention Centre if they take all-ages gigs.
Fuck the Arena, the venue security were bashing up guys in the crowd. Mikael stopped the show so that everyone could watch what the bouncers were doing. Probably saved a life. Again, fuck the Arena.

Absolutely, I wont be going to the Arena again, and those bouncers were way out of line. That guy was still laying on the ground when i left. ARENA SUCKS!! Bring on the riverstage.

I was going to fly up to Brisbane and stay with my brother for a few days and see Opeth up there with him, Lucky I didn't.

From my understanding the U18 issue had nothing to do with The Arena itself as a venue, it was with regards to a government alcohol licensing division, myself among others spoke to the floor manager of The Arena, early in the afternoon - as they claimed it was completely out of there control, they had tried to make arrangements to have no alcohol on the premise at all and therefore make it all ages only, however there was no compromise. From what I gather there will be footage on today tonight at some stage this week.

On another note - it was an amazing show, I attended both syd and bris. After the show walked around the back and met the band, the wait definitely paid off - was killer. I must say although the sound was a little off bris was definitely a better show.

I tried as much as I could for Blackwater Park, I think Mike was getting a little tired of the requests when he broke into the BP riff..

the venue security were bashing up guys in the crowd. Mikael stopped the show so that everyone could watch what the bouncers were doing. Probably saved a life. Again, fuck the Arena.
Was that right at the end of the show? When Mike was saying "what the fuck is happening over there?"

There was a guy out the front on a mission to find out why under 18's couldn't go. Apparently it has something to do with liquor licence who didn't tell the venue until Friday that they couldn't have under 18's in there. So they tried to make the whole gig all ages (sell no alcohol) so the under 18's could still go but liquor licence would not let them do it, which sounds really weird to me. I think it was Chanel 7 who were filming and interviewing people about it.

Apart from that I thought it was the best of all the east coast shows.

^ Yes, that is what Mikael was referring to. I was standing by the door when they were getting thown on the ground.

From my understanding the U18 issue had nothing to do with The Arena itself as a venue, it was with regards to a government alcohol licensing division
Will be interesting to find out if this is true, but it sounds a bit suss. I wonder why they didn't explain this to the kids when they phoned them to say the gig was over 18's now? I'm sure they would have been less angry if they had explained on the phone that it was out of their control. What time were Channel 7 there? They should have stayed around and filmed the bouncers.

Shit. Thank god he noticed and spoke up. Sounds like the entire Brisbane show was managed very dodgy. I feel for all the under 18's. Only a few months ago I would have been stuck in the same rut.

I dunno if Mikael was being serious when he said they will be coming back next year - in the past they've visited every couple of years on average, right? Well, if they do come back soon, hopefully a better Brissy show will make up for last night.

^ Yes, that is what Mikael was referring to. I was standing by the door when they were getting thown on the ground.

Will be interesting to find out if this is true, but it sounds a bit suss. I wonder why they didn't explain this to the kids when they phoned them to say the gig was over 18's now? I'm sure they would have been less angry if they had explained on the phone that it was out of their control. What time were Channel 7 there? They should have stayed around and filmed the bouncers.

Channel 7 were there between 4-5pm, Also after speaking with Arena management and the promoter they were not even sure if the show would go ahead. Looking at it from there point of view at the end of the day they are not going to risk there license as a venue by letting U18 into a show that the government have deemed no minors on premise.

What exactly happened at the end?..I was on the barrier and saw Fred suddenly turn to Mike with a concerning look on his face..that's when Mike said what the fuck was that?

^I was standing on your left.

So you met them after the show?

[Edit] My post count, I suddenly feel like not posting anymore...

[Second edit] v Signed setlist sounds cool, by all of them?

vv Mike said they are really trying to be back next year but nothing is confirmed yet.

[Third edit] The number of the beast will silence me no longer! Just so I don't forget, a print screen.

666-posts.jpg

^I was standing on your left.

So you met them after the show?

[Edit] My post count, I suddenly feel like not posting anymore...

Yeah, briefly. Signed setlist. I waited like 45 minutes after, in that side alley. There was a truck in the way so no cars could get through, then when the truck moved they left. Missed the last train home but was worth the wait.

Create a new account, leave that post count at 666.

Did Mike really says that they may be back next year? Cause that would ease the pain of not being albe to go.

Yeah dude. Within 8 months. So say May-ish 09. Will bet on it being 18+ to avoid dissapointment

EDIT: silent paragon - Yeah all members signed.