Opeth "Damnation" review @ DigitalMetal

Again, thanks for being one of the best reviews on the net Chris. That review was great and I want to hear it all the more because of it.

That aside, that really made me wonder. Do you guys think they should have done this as a side project? By that I mean, under a different name. For one, it sounds like Wilson was a fucking member of this band (don't get me wrong, I think he's great). And secondly, didn't Mike once say he'd never do something like Damnation under the name of Opeth?

Great music is great music but........

I think if they did the original idea of a double CD, then it would be fine to release it under the Opeth name, but now that it is a seperate album, I'm thinking it maybe should have been released as a side project.

Either way, I don't care, just give me the fucking album already.

Nah, this should be Opeth if they say it should be Opeth. What's wrong with one band having many sides?

Same members, after all...and I think Wilson's influence doesn't extend much further than instruments. I'm sure he contributed to songwriting, but from what I've read this is definitely still Akerfeldt.

Also, both Portnoy and DM seem to point that Damnation still sounds very "Opeth," even if it is a different style.

nice review, I visit your site every day and like the fact you don't just review metal, Damnation and the new Ephel Duath are my two top anticipated releases for this year

Originally posted by Static
For some reason I'm not excited at all.

My emotions appear to be completely dead right now. :eek:

Yeah... it´s like that episode in South Park when Cartman blew a funny fuse because he saw people with asses where their heads should be... I he couldn´t laugh cause it was the funniest thing he would ever see... :D

I can´t wait for this album... :eek:

Originally posted by DeTh^^
im more excited than ive ever been when waiting for an album

me too

no, actually, I think the excitement preceding Deliverance was just a tad bit more than this......by this much ---> l---l

okay sorry this was pointless......I'm so ambivalent

edit: stupid thing can't even display my arbitrary length right :bah:

After seeing them playing live @ Barcelona i can believe all the good things Chris says.

These guys really seems to be in a kind of blis.