Opeth "Damnation" review @ DigitalMetal

i've heard two songs off the new katatonia, and the initial impression is that it's quite killer. i should have it shortly, so expect a review of that as well soon. i want some time to listen to it, to absorb it, 'cause the songs i heard were very different from LFDGD. the essence of katatonia remains, however.

The three songs from the new Katatonia I've heard are very awesome. I'm looking forward to the album very much, even though it is something of a change of style from Last Fair Deal Gone Down.

initially, i'm disappointed that damnation won't be a metal album. if this is a prog album, why forego heavy? even uriah heep had their sabbathy moments. i have a feeling i will like this album even less than deliverance.

If you go in assuming you're gonna be disappointed, you probably will be. Contrary to popular belief, not everything has to be heavy to be good. If you open your mind instead of deciding in advance that something won't be good enough for you, you might find that there are many good things out there.

Originally posted by IanDork107
If you go in assuming you're gonna be disappointed, you probably will be. Contrary to popular belief, not everything has to be heavy to be good. If you open your mind instead of deciding in advance that something won't be good enough for you, you might find that there are many good things out there.
incorrect on both points. i have found myself pleasantly surprised by albums that i feared would disappoint. secondly, it does not have to be heavy to be good...but i love heavy metal. i would prefer a heavy metal release to a non-heavy metal release. it has nothing to do with my "open mind". there are "many good things out there" that i do enjoy. so quick to assume and pass judgment on me...

43 minutes long. haha it seems Opeth are definitely going for the 70s prog feel with that length. All of my prog albums from that era are about that long, due to there being no cds etc. I'll bet it was deliberate.

Originally posted by the alumnus
incorrect on both points. i have found myself pleasantly surprised by albums that i feared would disappoint. secondly, it does not have to be heavy to be good...but i love heavy metal. i would prefer a heavy metal release to a non-heavy metal release. it has nothing to do with my "open mind". there are "many good things out there" that i do enjoy. so quick to assume and pass judgment on me...

Your post count is too small for me not to judge you. :)