OPETH Drummer To Guest On DEATH Tribute CD

Master_Debater

Usurper of the Goat
Jan 19, 2004
Olympia, WA & Dallas, TX
www.garageband.com
OPETH Drummer To Guest On DEATH Tribute CD? - Feb. 11, 2004

OPETH drummer Martin Lopez is the latest high-profile metal musician linked with the upcoming DEATH tribute project, "Within The Mind - In Homage To The Musical Legacy Of Chuck Schuldiner", tentatively due in June through Holland's Mascot Records.

"At [Monday] night's OPETH concert in Tampa, drummer Martin Lopez expressed his interest in playing at least one track on the 'Within The Mind' project," said James Murphy (ex-TESTAMENT, DEATH, OBITUARY), one of the musicians spearheading the release. "Schedules permitting, I will try hard to make certain that he does!"

The project, which was conceived by CKY guitarist/vocalist Deron Miller as a means to help guitarist James Murphy (ex-TESTAMENT, DEATH, OBITUARY) raise money for his medical bills (Murphy is currently receiving treatment for a massive brain tumor with which he was diagnosed in August 2001), is expected to feature a number of special guest appearances, including those by Miller, Murphy, Dave Culross (MALEVOLENT CREATION, ex-SUFFOCATION), Mikael Thomson (SLIPKNOT), Paul Gray (SLIPKNOT), Brett Hoffmann (ex-MALEVOLENT CREATION), Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED), Ross Dolan (IMMOLATION), Mike Chlasciak (PAINMUSEUM, ex-HALFORD), and Terry Butler (SIX FEET UNDER, ex-DEATH, MASSACRE).

Regarding Christy's involvement, Murphy said, "Richard will play on a total of four tracks which originate on the 'Human' and 'Individual Thought Patterns' albums. he will spend the next week or so refreshing his memory and sharpening his chops on those songs and then I will join him at his Orlando warehouse the following weekend for some intense rehearsals after which we will enter a local Orlando studio (ARS is the most likely choice) and lay down his tracks. we're very excited and honored to have Richard on board and his tracks will be the first to be recorded for the project!

"Soon after I will begin rehearsals with Dave Culross and he will record the majority of the remaining drum tracks."

As previously reported, other musicians that are interested in participating (if their touring and/or recording schedules allow) include Peter Tägtgren (HYPOCRISY, PAIN), Chuck Billy (TESTAMENT), Eric Peterson (TESTAMENT, DRAGONLORD), Luc Lemay (GORGUTS), Andy LaRocque (KING DIAMOND), Richard Christy (ICED EARTH, ex-DEATH, CONTROL DENIED), Rya and Chad of MUDVAYNE, Patrick Mameli (ex-PESTILENCE), and Jean-Francois Degenais (KATAKLYSM).

According to Murphy, "The track selection will span DEATH's career from 'Scream Bloody Gore' to 'Symbolic', the thought being that the 'Sound of Perseverance' songs are too recent to consider for a tribute CD."

Because their music reflects nothing on our musical community. At the very least, they don't deserve to play on there because they are almost totally unrelated to old-school metal. It's a tribute to Death... not Nirvana.

It's exciting to hear that Lopez is thinking about laying down some drum tracks for it. Should be interesting.

Moonlapse said:
Because their music reflects nothing on our musical community. At the very least, they don't deserve to play on there because they are almost totally unrelated to old-school metal. It's a tribute to Death... not Nirvana.
as much as you people don't want to admit it cause you are such nu-metal paranoid jackasses, slipknot have far more in common with Death than Nirvana. far more. secondly, its not Slipknot who are playing on the album. its two members who can play, and are both death fans. are they "not allowed" to be fans of death? (and by the way, Martinie will have no problem with DiGiorgio's basslines.)

"their music reflects nothing on our musical community"? what makes you think you have the right to say such a pretentious statement about this "musical community"?

if slipknot can be in it...

why not 50 cent? i want him to do pull the plug

SunlapseVertigo said:
as much as you people don't want to admit it cause you are such nu-metal paranoid jackasses, slipknot have far more in common with Death than Nirvana. far more. secondly, its not Slipknot who are playing on the album. its two members who can play, and are both death fans. are they "not allowed" to be fans of death? (and by the way, Martinie will have no problem with DiGiorgio's basslines.)

"their music reflects nothing on our musical community"? what makes you think you have the right to say such a pretentious statement about this "musical community"?
I have that right because a majority of this 'musical community' will agree with me. Not all of us are pricks who in our infinite wisdom believe we are always right and condemn other music fans for not believing that Opeth should tour with Madonna.

I'm actually sick of seeing you write bullshit like that over these boards. It's seemingly all you come here to do... whenever I see one of your posts, I see you trying to start up some arguement with another member who disagrees with your opinion.

We don't like Slipknot, we think they fucking suck, we think their members are fuckheads, no matter how much technical skill it comes down to, and most of all we still believe they have no place on a Death tribute.

But you know, going by your line of arguing, I think it'd be great to see Justin Timberlake collaborate with these guys for a Death tribute yknow.,.. just coz yknow, he may be a Death fan.

why don't we just find out what it actually sounds like? good luck to all, and rock out....with your cocks out....don't pre-judge.....but i understand where the slap nut bashing is coming from.....

Moonlapse said:
I have that right because a majority of this 'musical community' will agree with me. Not all of us are pricks who in our infinite wisdom believe we are always right and condemn other music fans for not believing that Opeth should tour with Madonna.

I'm actually sick of seeing you write bullshit like that over these boards. It's seemingly all you come here to do... whenever I see one of your posts, I see you trying to start up some arguement with another member who disagrees with your opinion.

We don't like Slipknot, we think they fucking suck, we think their members are fuckheads, no matter how much technical skill it comes down to, and most of all we still believe they have no place on a Death tribute.

But you know, going by your line of arguing, I think it'd be great to see Justin Timberlake collaborate with these guys for a Death tribute yknow.,.. just coz yknow, he may be a Death fan.
congratulations, you missed my point completely. the only thing you have backing up your points is that "well, I hate slipknot and a lot of others do, so there." i only start arguments when i see people acting like a bunch of morons. you don't want me around? fine.... i think i have just about had it with this board. you can all go to hell for all i care, i wish Opeth the best of luck and popularity and i hope they gain lots of "nu-metal fag fans", maybe that will deter the idiots.

The guys here stated their opinions which were 'we don't want to hear Slipknot and Mudvayne members on the record', and you, being your usual self jumped in and started calling them morons. Is it SO alien to you to find judgemental and close-minded metal fans? It seems quite common to me.. hell that's half the reason alot of us listen to metal: we hate everything else (well, figuratively speaking.. I like classical, lounge and ambient aswell).

Also, throghout their career, you cannot deny that Slipknot have not done anything to in the least tie themselves to Death... musically.

I find most of what I listen to in the mainstream to be dribble.. not because my magical pretentious tr00ness tells me to, but because I think its SHIT music. Slipknot falls under this category and is emphasized x10000 times because they are actually trying to be hard.

congratulations, you missed my point completely. the only thing you have backing up your points is that "well, I hate slipknot and a lot of others do, so there."
My points? The only point I was trying to make is that you should stop riding that giant cock of 'open-mindedness will set you free' and let people have their own opinions. I wasn't trying to substantiate anything.. I don't think anything needs substantiation... we have our opinions, and many of us here happen to think that they suck, and also that they have nothing to do with Death, musically, whether they are fans or not. Do I get the opportunity to play on this tribute? No I don't, so why should a bunch of fucking posers?

Reactions: Torenstain
And the people in Slipknot aren't good musicians at all....that's why I couldn't see their relation to Death...They are the morons....but hey what the fuck...who cares

Mudvayne's bassist is better than Digiorgio.

Why is that guy from Halford there? Death has nothing in common with gay powermetal?

The fact that Slipknot sold out while attempting to live up to great bands like Death shows their disrespect for the real metal community and for Chuck's music. This makes them undeserving... end of argument.

Oh my fucking god. This is so immensely stupid. Let the fucking CD come out before you start saying WHOA MAN IT'S GOT SLIPKNOT MEMBERS IT'S GOING TO SUCK DONKEY ANUS ON SUNDAYS LIKE SLIPKNOT DOES! Why aren't they allowed to play for a tribute they've obviously had a bit of influence from? Listen to MKFR before Slipknot got commercial. Even if you don't like it, doesn't mean you can't deny there is some death metal influence from it.

Mick Thompson happens to be a very good guitarist you just don't hear his good shit in his lousy band. I certainly don't know about Paul Gray but I bet he has something good to contribute. Look it's not like they're taking a shit on Chuck's grave and spitting on it. Listen to the record before you make any judgements, if the tracks which Slipknot actually guest star on actually suck then make your comments, but totally dessimating the members before the damn thing is out is completely ignorant, stupid, impatient and close minded.

It's just my opinion and I happen to agree with Sunlapse alot of the time, just because you don't, don't go medieval on his ass. He likes Opeth, that's why he's in the board.