Opeth....falling apart?

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
You know? I think the end is in sight for Opeth. Peter has announced he's leaving. Not good. Losing Lopez was bad enough. Anyway, the last album failed to thrill me.

I really think that one should not expect too much more from them.....I've felt this for other reasons too, but I'd call this the beginning of the end.

From Blabbermouth:

1ptrans.gif

Guitarist PETER LINDGREN Quits OPETH; Replacement Announced - May 17, 2007 Peter Lindgren has stepped down from his guitar-wielding duties in OPETH after 16 years. His official statement on the matter reads as follows:

"It is with sadness I announce that OPETH and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

"The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a worldwide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll.

"OPETH has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what OPETH stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

"These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together.

"I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

'I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!!"

Fredrik Åkesson (ex-ARCH ENEMY, KRUX, TALISMAN) has been confirmed as the new guitarist in OPETH.

Says OPETH leader Mikael Åkerfeldt: "Well, I think it's too soon right now to fully be able to explain what I feel.

"Peter and I had been working in this band together for almost half of our lives and we shared some unforgettable experiences together all over the world. We will obviously remain friends and this 'break-up' has been on very good terms from both sides. We all wish him the best of luck with his future ventures!

"Fredrik was the only name that popped up thinking about a replacement for Peter. In my opinion he's one of the top three guitar players out of Sweden. We all get along great as we've known each other for maybe four years and he already has the experience to take on the circus-like lifestyle we lead as members of OPETH.

"I can't wait to see what he can bring to the table musically and also to get out on the roads touring together. His first gig will be at the Ilosaarirock festival [July 13-15 in Joensuu] in Finland. I'm sure he'll shit his pants before that one, but then again...so will I!"

If Peter's lost the spark, then maybe it's good he's moving on. I'm sure Mikael will carry on under the Opeth name with a new lineup.

Last album had several good tracks, but I wouldn't consider it a classic like their previous several albums. Guess we'll just have to see how things play out...

I would probably say it is the end... much like if you lose one of the Beatles ... if the remaining Beatles try to go on with a new member it wouldn't be the same.. the music... especially if that Beatle was a main songwriter...

I have been a huge fan from Opeth but lately I´m quite disappointed with them. Accoustic "Damnation" and "Ghost reveries" are good but by far the two worst from the band.

I agree with Peter when he says "lack of inspiration". That´s exactly what happens in Opeth nowadays.

In my opinion, Akerfeldt=Opeth. I like a lot Peter way of playing but the band will continue with Fredrik Akesson. No problem for Mikael. However, Akesson isn´t so special as Lindgren´s.

I agree that they've "slowed down" a bit in recent years although Damnation and Ghost is still light years better than just about anything any other band has released in the last 5 years.

With that said, sometimes it's best to go out on top with your legacy intact. Mikael really should leave the death thing behind, anyway, and focus on something different.

He's offically working on a project with Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree which simply can't be anything other than classic. I cant wait to see how that turns out.

I don't think this means the end of the band. Much like Schaffer and Iced Earth - though not THAT many lineup changes - Opeth is Mikael's band, and as long as he's there and doing the writing, I'll be buying the product. IMO, Ghost contained 2 or 3 of the best songs they've ever written.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Peter's style, but he was not a major writer to my knowledge, and Mikael does a ton of the leads anyway. Just trying to say he may be a little more replaceable than people think. This is not DeGarmo leaving Queensryche......

Ghost Reveries didn't impress me as well, but Damnation is an album which got me into Opeth, I was extatic when I heard it and I still am every time I listen to it...
Such great and calm atmosphere, something like modern Pink Floyd I'd say, awesome!
But I agree with Maze... Peter wasn't much more than a guitarist, as Lopez was the drummer. Yeah, they both spent much time in the band, but Opeth is Mikael and if he calls it quits THEN it'd be the end of the band.

Well, really I felt the "problem," with Ghost Reveries was the production. Just a little too slick maybe? I don't know. I felt Stephen Wilson's absence though. I agree that Peter is not such a stellar player as to totally hurt the band by being gone, only that he is a big personality in the band to me, whatever that's worth. Just, so many changes of late is all....and being the I didn't care for Ghost Reveries, this causes me concern.

I think them an amazing band, but they need to really try something new with the next one to catch my attention again. My Arms through Damnation were all top notch, but alas, no matter how unique, the formula is a bit tired right now. Maybe Peter's leaving will have the opposite effect, and a new guitar in the band will energize them. We'll see. I still think Lopez was a HUGE loss, similar to Tool losing Danny Carey for instance.

I would probably say it is the end... much like if you lose one of the Beatles ... if the remaining Beatles try to go on with a new member it wouldn't be the same.. the music... especially if that Beatle was a main songwriter...

Good point. Fortunately, Peter didn't write most of the music. This is still a horrible thing. Peter had the 70's vibe that I love about Opeth. As long as the new guitar player plays PRS, I think it'll work out. Otherwise... :rolleyes:

(ESP is great, but Opeth is PRS!)

I don't think this means the end of the band. Much like Schaffer and Iced Earth - though not THAT many lineup changes - Opeth is Mikael's band, and as long as he's there and doing the writing, I'll be buying the product. IMO, Ghost contained 2 or 3 of the best songs they've ever written.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Peter's style, but he was not a major writer to my knowledge, and Mikael does a ton of the leads anyway. Just trying to say he may be a little more replaceable than people think. This is not DeGarmo leaving Queensryche......

I agree with you on that. Mikael is still the leader of Opeth and I don't think he'd just give up all these years cuz peter is leaving

Quite true.

Opeth had gotten considerably better with each album release.

I agree, and I kind of like the way the production has become more "slick." But I haven't been listening to them as long as some, only since BWP really.

Wiz, you're so right. I was crushed when Lopez left the band.

Opeth had gotten considerably better with each album release. Much opposite, say, Metallica.

Agreed. Why is it that everytime a band starts to lose an original member they become "bad"? Perhaps this new member might add something new and different we hadn't thought of. As for the albums, Sure maybe Ghost wasn't their all time best album but seriously folks you can't expect a freakin Blackwater Park EVERY time can you? Sometimes i think fans put the bar too high. I don't think it's the end and i still look forward to what they have to put out in the future.

Or maybe I'm just in denial who knows! :lol:

Yeah, here:

1). Ghost Reveries was incredible.
2). Mikael practically *is* the band.

No worries.

1). Ghost Reveries was incredible.
2). Mikael practically *is* the band.
I have to agree.

Even though I was heartbroken when I read Peter left Opeth (though even moreso when I heard about Lopez), I don't think it's the end just yet. It's pretty apparent that Mikael is the main thinktank, so I doubt their new material will suffer very much, if at all.

Personally I love GR. It has a killer song list, there's no filler material, and it's incredibly varied, even for Opeth standards. So in other words, it has everything I love about Opeth; amazing melodic parts, amazing aggressive parts, interesting songwriting, and top notch drumming.

on that note, the drumming is the only thing I'm anxious about for the new stuff. lopez felt the music, he played like he and his drums were one. I guess I'll just have to wait and see