Opeth....falling apart?

thank god they didn't, seeing as their first 2 albums blow ass compared to everything they did afterward

Ghost Reveries is underrated. I don't know why so many Opeth fans hate this album.

Because it sounds tacky and overproduced (Steven Wilson was sorely missed), because it contains some of the worst songs they've ever written (Beneath the Mire, The Grand Conjuration, Atonement), because they use the keyboards as a crutch, the atmospheres they used to create with just guitars and bass were much more interesting, because the melodic parts just aren't as interesting and overall it's just a more stale version of previous albums.

Having said that, I don't hate it, Ghost of Perdition is one of the best things they've ever written and the Baying of the Hounds and Isolation Years are also great, but there's a real inconsistency not present in any other album.

IMO Opeth reached the beginning of the end when Lopez left. For anyone who's watched the doco about the making of Deliverance and Damnation, you will know just how much influence he had in the band's work.

Opeth has nothing left to achieve, Mikael should call it a day and find a different project ie Bloodbath or his thing with Steven Wilson.

Because it sounds tacky and overproduced (Steven Wilson was sorely missed), because it contains some of the worst songs they've ever written (Beneath the Mire, The Grand Conjuration, Atonement), because they use the keyboards as a crutch, the atmospheres they used to create with just guitars and bass were much more interesting, because the melodic parts just aren't as interesting and overall it's just a more stale version of previous albums.

Having said that, I don't hate it, Ghost of Perdition is one of the best things they've ever written and the Baying of the Hounds and Isolation Years are also great, but there's a real inconsistency not present in any other album.

IMO Opeth reached the beginning of the end when Lopez left. For anyone who's watched the doco about the making of Deliverance and Damnation, you will know just how much influence he had in the band's work.

Opeth has nothing left to achieve, Mikael should call it a day and find a different project ie Bloodbath or his thing with Steven Wilson.

guitar created atmosphere is long gone

What 'fire'? lol I'm sick of reading about this so called "losing it's 'fire' or 'inspiration'" crap. I agree with The Ozzman: Ghost Reveries is underrated. Are you guys there in the recording process or something and actually able to 'feel' the "fire" and "inspiration"? are you spying on him while he's writing lyrics? lol do you know anything of their own specific process? I'm not trying to be a bitch and really challenge anyone just...putting it out there to think about. You can't really have an opinion about something like that that you aren't there to witness. Hearing the music is different. That doesn't include interaction with individual band members and watching how they put everything together.

If he needs a break i don't think that's our place to decide. i'm sure he'll take a break when he's good and ready and is able to. If he wants to keep writing then good for him, i say he's still got it.

Either you're a fan or you're not. You on the band wagon or not? You support the band or not? I get confused when people completely BASH one album with vulgar language and bad attitudes and then turn around and say the next one they put out is amazing and omgz can't wait to meet them at the next concert.

Are we fans or are we going to sit around and be elitists?

What 'fire'? lol I'm sick of reading about this so called "losing it's 'fire' or 'inspiration'" crap. I agree with The Ozzman: Ghost Reveries is underrated. Are you guys there in the recording process or something and actually able to 'feel' the "fire" and "inspiration"? are you spying on him while he's writing lyrics? lol do you know anything of their own specific process? I'm not trying to be a bitch and really challenge anyone just...putting it out there to think about. You can't really have an opinion about something like that that you aren't there to witness. Hearing the music is different. That doesn't include interaction with individual band members and watching how they put everything together.

Come on, let's be realistic. If you can't tell the difference between a motivated band and one just running through the motions, something's wrong. Do I have to be in the studio to witnessing Nickelback to know that they suck? Maybe change your listening habits?

If he needs a break i don't think that's our place to decide. i'm sure he'll take a break when he's good and ready and is able to. If he wants to keep writing then good for him, i say he's still got it.

I'm not purporting to decide - it would be absurd to think the fans could decide anything. I'm a fan, this is a forum: I simply looked at the facts and drew a conclusion from them.

Either you're a fan or you're not. You on the band wagon or not? You support the band or not? I get confused when people completely BASH one album with vulgar language and bad attitudes and then turn around and say the next one they put out is amazing and omgz can't wait to meet them at the next concert.

Anyone who supports a band unequivocally, unquestioningly and uncritically is retarded. I don't get why people are upset when someone says GR is crap compared with the early stuff, yet when to most of the early fans saying GR is better than Morningrise is insulting. Why is it politically correct to say a band has improved, and not the reverse?

Come on, let's be realistic. If you can't tell the difference between a motivated band and one just running through the motions, something's wrong. Do I have to be in the studio to witnessing Nickelback to know that they suck? Maybe change your listening habits?

I'm not purporting to decide - it would be absurd to think the fans could decide anything. I'm a fan, this is a forum: I simply looked at the facts and drew a conclusion from them.

Anyone who supports a band unequivocally, unquestioningly and uncritically is retarded. I don't get why people are upset when someone says GR is crap compared with the early stuff, yet when to most of the early fans saying GR is better than Morningrise is insulting. Why is it politically correct to say a band has improved, and not the reverse?

I'm not saying anyone should support a band unquestioningly. You're right that would be stupid and then where would we get our preferences? I don't like Nickelback and that's my own personal preference. Someone else finds it enjoyable so be it...and back to metal... What i AM saying is that it's NOT cool for others to completely BASH an artists previous work. It also CAN go both ways. I was using GR in comparison to past works as an example.

An opinion is great. I'm strong in my opinions myself. But i try to respect the musicians and at least respect the work they put into it. Which i'm not saying you personally don't i'm venting more on other people that have commented and through personal conversations i've had with others.

I guess i'm more sick of the elitist attitudes that everything has to be PERFECT in EVERY single FREAKIN album for fans to be satisfied. If it's not, people start to bitch and complain as if mommy didn't deliver and get them the new puppy they wanted. And it's always about the silliest things, like "Well i didn't like that extra keys solo in 'blank' song." I'm not saying people should accept crap but what i AM saying is that looking at everything Opeth HAS put out...why is anyone complaining? They're sounding just fine and everyone should chill they're not going down the drain into oblivion.

EDIT:
Oh and i guess the beef i have with the "losing it's 'fire' or 'inspiration'" sayings is just that it sounds SOOOO melodramatic. I swear i think i hear violins playing a sob song in the background each time it's mentioned. "I know! They just don't have that...*sniff* 'fire' they once had! That *sob* special something...*tear*" :lol:

^ Your comments make no sense. If your argument is correct, no-one can criticise Opeth's latest album which is clearly an absurd thing to say.

I'm also tipping you are a person recently into Opeth, so to you Ghost Reveries sounds like the greatest thing since sliced bread. I agree it's better than the vast majority of metal albums released that year, but on the other hand, by Opeth's standards it exemplifies tired songwriting.

Dude read our rules! No personal attacks allowed! I am getting sick and tired of reminding nOObs about our rules!

You may criticize a band but here you have to do it with respect towards the people you are debating.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/192052-everyone-read-before-posting-forum.html

Don't just jump into this forum and disrespect the people here.
Behave and act civilized. If that to hard for you then leave.

Hawk
UMOS Moderator

rules said:
1) No Personal attacks!

This means that you criticize the argument, but not the man or woman making it. IOW you criticize *what* people say, not the people themselves

Isn't this exactly what I did? The argument was that we should support the band no matter what they released. My criticism was that we should not do so, though I agree the language was strong.

Sometimes it's impossible to avoid these sorts of implications. For example if I say "murder is bad", and A is a murderer, then I would be criticizing A. The effect is the same as saying "A is bad". So if I had put it another way, my post would have had the same result.

Isn't this exactly what I did? The argument was that we should support the band no matter what they released. My criticism was that we should not do so, though I agree the language was strong.

Indeed the language was strong and that was what I reacted to.

Anyone who supports a band unequivocally, unquestioningly and uncritically is retarded.

It seemed that MetalOperaChick was supporting this line of argument and so by implication she was acting retarded. If nobody was taking this line who were you debating? You did not say that the argument in question was retarded but the people supporting it. Thus...

I am in agreement with your argument but not the way you voiced it. No need to use terms like 'retarded'. Your argument was strong enough on its own merits. Using a strong term like that only detracts from that.

To these eyes the way you framed your argument it was a personal attack. Just refrain from labeling people a certain way if they do not meet your standard and your argument will be much better for it. :)

He just needs a break from the music "business" and to rekindle the fire and inspiration he had back on the first couple of albums.

MAYH, Still Life, and BWP are infinitely more inspired and creative than the incredibly immature prodding and meandering of Orchid and especially Morningrise, so I'd have to disagree with you there, although I would agree that starting with Deliverance this band has begun to go downhill, but they're still one of the very few metal bands alive with any potential to offer me anything, so I'm always happy to look forward to their releases

MAYH, Still Life, and BWP are infinitely more inspired and creative than the incredibly immature prodding and meandering of Orchid and especially Morningrise, so I'd have to disagree with you there, although I would agree that starting with Deliverance this band has begun to go downhill, but they're still one of the very few metal bands alive with any potential to offer me anything, so I'm always happy to look forward to their releases

Very well said. Well, except for the Deliverance part. :kickass: My thoughts exactly about the first 2 albums...