Opeth gets massive 12 page spread in the new issue of Close-Up Magazine

As a metal institution, OPETH is considered a bigger winner for each album. For "Deliverance" they received both a P3 Gold statuette and a Grammis. "Ghost Reveries" won Close-Ups soundcheck in #76. TV4 has let the quintet play on "Nyhets Morgon", Roadrunner's New York office signed a contract with then, the sales figures are constantly on the rise.

The image of an always praised phenomenon is not quite correct according to Mikael Åkerfeldt.
- I don't believe you have to look far to find the other stuff. To see that a lot is drenched in some kind of loathing. Especially from the people that have been fans and then turned the other way. Those are the worst kind. They seem to believe they know what we are. I'm a fan of OPETH myself. For me it's been a natural curve from the start until now. The music has changed, but it feels natural to me. In some way I expected that it should feel natural for everybody else as well. But maybe it's not quite like that.

Mikael Åkerfeldt doesn't just read the reviews that come his way. He also searches for opinions on the web.
- I check Blabbermouth several times a day. Of course I don't just look for stuff about us, but if we're mentioned , I read it. And then I enter our forum. That's where you can find the "best" bullshit. And the best good stuff as well of course. There are only a few people hanging out there, but if I want to get my dose of hate, I can find it there. And on my personal Myspace page. There I sometimes get total hate mail. And threats

One message had the title "'Roundhouse Tapes'??" referring to the double live album released in Novembre 2007.
- It was a guy who wrote to me in English "Now you've done it. Sold out you damn bastard" and then it said "I understand why Peter isn't in the band anymore because you're such a greedy bastard. You fat ****. You ugly..." you know. Total insults. Then I got another mail: "And you're a damn bad father!". There are people that have written things like: "Ghost Reveries sucked. Hope the next album is better or I'll have to do a Dimebag on you. Hope you'll get cancer.". I know how young people are, you joke and maybe it's not 100% serious. The thing about me being a bad father, I feel that the guy is really grasping for straws trying to make me pissed and feel insulted.

The sender was referring to the former guitar player of PANTHERA, "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, who was shot and killed at a concert with DAMAGEPLAN in Ohio in December 2004.
- I'm not happy, so to speak. But it's like an insect, something you can swat away. When you're a musician and have done this for as long as we have, I've noticed that there's a hair-thin line between love and hate. People that love me can turn instantly. It's sometimes enough that I don't submit to their demands.

That's the stupidest thing I ever read, do people actually send mail like that to him !!? :erk:
If the next Opeth record was a country album I'd still not bother. Geezas.

And then I enter our forum. That's where you can find the "best" bullshit. And the best good stuff as well of course. There are only a few people hanging out there, but if I want to get my dose of hate, I can find it there.

Mendez pretty much said the same when i was talking to him in March. I mentioned the forum and he just rolled his eyes. :loco:

*bow* :)

I had some spare time on the train today... And it was interesting translating the last part where this board was mentioned (awaiting the reactions). :)

really appreciate u doing this for us. i didnt realize this article would be so in depth, great read so far!

i didnt realize this article would be so in depth
Close-Up Magazine tends to do these kind of investigative articles, at least with the main feature in a given issue (in this case Opeth).

Since the musical side of a band's/artist's career is always covered in plenty of magazines and websites, Close-Up usually goes for something a little in-depth to offer something different and set themselves apart.

Many many people (including some very big names) have opened their hearts in that mag, sometimes perhaps opened them a little too much for my taste, but it's always interesting to get a more emotive take on the people in rock & metal.

wow, great interview. I can't believe there are people who take the time out of their miserable lives to write such terrible things to Mike. Id like to think he get much more praise then hate, after-all he is one of the best songwriters of our time.

wow, great interview. I can't believe there are people who take the time out of their miserable lives to write such terrible things to Mike.
Yeah. It's mind blowing. :(

Id like to think he get much more praise then hate, after-all he is one of the best songwriters of our time.
I hope so as well. But I've noticed that people seem to be faster to complain that to praise.

So just in case, I guess I'll take the opportunity and say:

Thanks Mikael and all the other guys in all the different incarnations of Opeth for many years of wonderful music. I've been listening since the release of Orchid and I still love all the albums. I think the new album is really good and I think it'll stick even more after I've listened to it more. I think it's great that you keep making the music that you want to make. I'm looking forward to the next album. :)

He exemplifies with a scene from the movie "The king of comedy", where Jerry Lewis plays host for a talk show. When he passes a phone booth he gets stopped by a woman. She tries to hand him the phone receiver and asks him to say hi to his nephew, how is a big fan and loves him. The tv-star says that he doesn't have time, whereupon she screams "You should only get cancer! I hope you get cancer!"

- That's how quickly I feel that it can happen, says Mikael Åkerfeldt. I don't really have to do anything. It's enough that they perceive it that I'm doing something against them. For many it's bloody serious. Like a certain choice we make, like when a member gets switched out, is a personal attack against them. People are twisted. There's a lot of wonderful people that come to us, but my intuition is razor sharp. I can see in some peoples eyes that they're crazy. What do you do? We've existed for a long time and have become a part of peoples personalities. If we change, it changes them. It's odd, that people spend their time hating like that. Almost as much and sometimes more than the ones that love us.

And this is from a metal band that has never mentioned political or ideological views.
- I think that for many the culture is more important than what their country looks like. People get strength from music. Some find everything in pop culture. That's what takes them through the day. Not how much tax they're paying. Look at me or you, we know what the music means to ourselves and how it would be if it didn't exist. It's clearly important.

Hate and love is totally dependent on what chords Mikael Åkerfeldt is putting together in his house in Huddinge.
- I just think that I'm the same guy that likes metal like when I was 15, he ponders. I don't get vertigo from thinking about that. I just want to make good music. People interpret it in different ways. A certain jump between notes can mean something exceptional for someone "That he used that chord means...". It's a bit of a cynical view of people, I must say, but we all have a certain measure of craziness within us. You just have to push the right buttons to start it up. Music is very gratifying for people to get absorbed by, something where it's easy to lose control over yourself. But for us, it's still much, much more love. Even though the other thing sticks out. The complaining and the hate.

The Title of OPETH's ninth album is "Watershed". It's meaning, water divider, relates both to the albums contents, and to the changes in members that have happened during the last three years.

In may 2005, OPETH, for the first time, became a quintet. That's when Per Wiberg became a full time member after helping out on the "Damnation" tours.
- He's a breath of fresh air, says the singer. He's like a new friend, we're getting to know each other. I'm not saying that us others aren't friends, but we're more indolent/listless/apathetic. Like "Have you been drinking some liquor?". Per is a very simple human being who I talk a lot with and who makes everyone else feel better. I don't think he knows that. He can do these small things. Like when our former drummer Martin Lopez broke down before a concert and refused to go up on stage. Then Per told him "But it's only metal." That made Martin himself realize that it wasn't that bad. We were only gonna do a gig, why would he make it into something bigger.

The keyboard player has also become an important personal support for Mikael Åkerfeldt.
In conjunction with the sibling albums "Deliverance" and "Damnation" something happened. "I can honestly say that we went in over our heads when we decided to do this", he explained in Close-Up #54 in the winter of 2002. The truth is that the double work made his whole daily life crumble-
- I became physically and in a way psychically ill, he says. I became dizzy and had to drag myself out of bed. The dizziness was tough, when I moved my head and the vision followed a second later. I lost interest for everything. I remember doing an interview for an official documentary about recording the two albums, and afterwards, the reporter said that they couldn't release it. I didn't think about it myself, but I had only sat there and rejected everything, complained and said it sucked. Suddenly nothing was fun. Neither the band nor my collection of records. That was the worst. That my big passion felt totally meaningless- And that my shit turned grey. It became like the stuff you can put on the floor, what's that called?
- Spackle?
- Yeah, I crapped spackle. It was horrible. We were gonna do a gig in England, but I called our manager and told him I couldn't do it. I had to cancel. He said that it isn't possible without a legit reason. "But I'm sick", I said. "Then you need a doctor's permit", he said. So I went to the doctor, but he couldn't find anything wrong. He couldn't help me. Later I talked with Per and told him how I was feeling and he said: "You're burnt out. No question about it. I've also had that happen to me." He gave me a bunch of books on the subject, and after a while it just became better. Very strange. It was like it was enough that I had found out what it was. Then I became better. Music was fun again. The crap became brown.

The gig in England was completed.
- It also became a turnaround, actually. It was so damn fun. And our management had booked me into a luxury hotel in the city. The others had to live in some crappy place in a suburb. But it was only because I felt so bad, it wasn't some kind of Axl Rose-thing.

Per is a very simple human being who I talk a lot with and who makes everyone else feel better. I don't think he knows that. He can do these small things. Like when our former drummer Martin Lopez broke down before a concert and refused to go up on stage. Then Per told him "But it's only metal." That made Martin himself realize that it wasn't that bad.
That is one classy dude. :kickass: