Opeth guitar book + piano notation/tabs

Hemlok

New Metal Member
Jun 23, 2008
As an aspiring guitarist I've been thinking about buying the Hal Leonard "Best of Opeth" guitar book. I was just wondering if you guys know if it's any good? Is it better than the tabs on the internet or just a cash in?

Also, my mate and I are playing "To Rid the Disease" for our GCSE music coursework. I have the guitar part covered, but we can't find the piano notation. Much of the piano plays the same melodies as the guitar, but apart from those bits we're not too sure. Does anyone know where we can find the music?

First post :cool:

Hemlok

The 'best of' TAB-book is full of win, even though it hasn't all the best songs...or, what the heck, I believeI just want tabs for all Opeth-songs!:loco::loco:

Hemlok, yes the Hal Leonard book is about 95% accurate. On Demon of the Fall, they say that another guitar is in Open D-Major D, A, D, G, A, D...just ignore it. But aside from that, the book is very accurate.

Since powertabs.net shut down, it's more difficult to come across quality Opeth tabs, and for as many good ones there are on ultimate-guitar.com, there are just as many or even more horrible ones. I'd say if it's not too expensive, go for it.

Complete Songlist:

Bleak
Closure
Deliverance
Demon Of The Fall
Ghost Of Perdition
Godhead's Lament
Master's Apprentices
Moonlapse Vertigo
The Drapery Falls
The Grand Conjuration
To Bid You Farewell
Windowpane

Ok. This is an incredible selection of songs. Moonlapse Vertigo? Godhead's Lament? I had to play those songs by ear because the tabs were so bad. Definitely getting this.

If you'd like I could write out what the piano plays as a pdf and send it to you. Just gotta do it tomorrow though, 1 in the morning here!

Thanks for all the advice everyone

I think I will buy the book because it has notation, which I find easier to read.

Thanks for the offer Narek, but the piano part is transcribed to guitar on the tab site Dante's Inferno gave me.

Looks like I'm sorted

Hemlok

The best thing to do for Opeth tabs, if you don't have the tab book, is to get a copy (it's none of my business how...*cough* torrent) of Guitar Pro 5. The tabs on Ultimate Guitar are really well transcribed if you have guitar pro.

As an aspiring guitarist I've been thinking about buying the Hal Leonard "Best of Opeth" guitar book. I was just wondering if you guys know if it's any good? Is it better than the tabs on the internet or just a cash in?

Also, my mate and I are playing "To Rid the Disease" for our GCSE music coursework. I have the guitar part covered, but we can't find the piano notation. Much of the piano plays the same melodies as the guitar, but apart from those bits we're not too sure. Does anyone know where we can find the music?

First post :cool:

Hemlok
I bought the book from ebay. I have been playing Opeth songs for a while now on the guit-box and I must say that I do not agree with some of the tabs. I don't think that these are tabs from the actual music written by Mikael. For instance some of the notes/chords on Moonlapse Vertigo do not sound right at all. Deathamphetemine is right, I know some tabers online who I think did a far better job with accuracy of their tabs so maybe it would be better to purchase "Guitar pro" from the internet (which I really like) and download some of the guitar pro tabs. Most of them are pretty good. I have corrected a few with some errors but I think those tabs are better than the tab book and they give you the option of separating the twin harmonies, rythms, and leads pretty well. Nothing is perfect but this gets I think the closest. Also if you look on you-tube of the "guitar lesson" by Mikael for The Drapery Falls the tabs shows different struming than what he played even for the opening.

The only tab from that book I've seen is Bleak. Compared to my powertab, it's a wash. Some parts are better than mine (especially that weird dissonant acoustic intro), some parts are worse. EVERY song in there besides Windowpane already has a powertab for it I'd say is about 95% accurate (the windowpane one is kinda rough), though, so it's kind of a waste if you have powertab (free superior windows-only alternative to guitar pro, I can send you all the Opeth powertabs that exist for it). As for guitar pro, I don't know, I stopped paying attention to all the uncredited copies of powertabs.net's hard work when powertabs and mysongbook got pwnd.

The bizarre tuning issue that everyone mentions they have with songs having guitars in multiple tunings is also retarded.

I'd buy it if it was on sale.

The only tab from that book I've seen is Bleak. Compared to my powertab, it's a wash. Some parts are better than mine (especially that weird dissonant acoustic intro), some parts are worse. EVERY song in there besides Windowpane already has a powertab for it I'd say is about 95% accurate (the windowpane one is kinda rough), though, so it's kind of a waste if you have powertab (free superior windows-only alternative to guitar pro, I can send you all the Opeth powertabs that exist for it). As for guitar pro, I don't know, I stopped paying attention to all the uncredited copies of powertabs.net's hard work when powertabs and mysongbook got pwnd.

The bizarre tuning issue that everyone mentions they have with songs having guitars in multiple tunings is also retarded.

I'd buy it if it was on sale.
I used to download the powertabs stuff but after they changed the site (after their shutdown) I was confused about how to use their new interface so it never went back. Guitar Pro5 is like $60 to download whereas Powertabs was free (as you said), you just needed to have winzip. As far as the song book the reason I would go with the online power/guitar Pro tabs is because with the different versions out there you can chose what you think sounds more accurate with a tempo and not waste $$ on the book because it isn't a transcription from the official music anyway.