The Hellbound Heart
Mar 16, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I am bored right now so i thought i'd start a thread,

Heres the question:

Whats your favorite Opeth guitar riff?

I can't think of my favorite right now but would like to know yours

Man, I'd have to go with that interlude riff that comes in after the first 2 solos in Forest of October... the one Mikael does by himself for a few measures then the other members come in.

Same,

Well now that i think of it the riff in The Moor at 6:13 - 6:58 and again at 10:20 - 10:50 is awsome with the vocals screaming and stuff so thats my fav at the moment xcept there's like 40,000 more thats just as good but that just sticks out right now.

Serenity Painted Death, the Morbid Angel riff thingy it´s just awesome.

I agree with Fallen, that riff in The Moor is awesome... So are the first two riffs in Demon Of The Fall... But I can't say they're the best since there are far too many brilliant riffs in Opeth's discography

the riff in the middle of april ethereal that themes the whole album
and the riff in advent that begins with the ghostly bass (also in the middle)

they have so many "grand", adventurous riffs tho.

There are so many that a favorite riff could change at any given time...

Right now:

The beginning of April Ethereal as well as the nice melodic riff that comes in at about 4:43 which is then played with acoustics...nice

The end of Demon of the Fall

Beginning of In the Mist she was Standing and the intro of Forest of October; nice twin guitar stuff...

Hmmm.. I don't have the song here.. but it's the one on Demon Of The Fall just before Mikael's screaming and the "Demon... Demon of the Fall" part.. actually he keeps playing it during the chorus.. but ok u got it :)

right now i'm into blackwater park because my friends and i are going to cover it. i got this kid to do vocals that sounds almost exactly like akerfeldt, its cool. anyways, i love the riff about 1:50 into blackwater park, its a real solid, kick ass riff. i really dig the interlude, its so calm. also. the riff that swells out after the interlude is awesome.

some other riffs i like are the beginning of the night and the silent water, the riff in serenity painted death with the harmonics (its got a cool jazzy groove to it), the riff played in demon of the fall underneath the line "demon of the fall", and the beginning to the apostle in triumph is one of my favorite opeth acoustic moments.

I'd tend to say the outro to Karma, at this moment. I love those twisted aggressive riffs they have!

However, I think the Moor or Serenity Painted Death, or Moonlapse Vertigo have the "most"(quantity wise) awesome guitar riffs.

Hmmm....odd that they all come from SL....