Opeth - Heritage

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Swedish progressive metallers OPETH will release their tenth album, "Heritage", on September 20 via Roadrunner Records. The CD was produced by OPETH vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt and was recorded earlier this year at Atlantis studios (formerly Metronome studios) in Stockholm. Mixing duties were handled by Steven Wilson (PORCUPINE TREE) and Åkerfeldt. Longtime collaborator Travis Smith also worked with Åkerfeldt to create, design and execute the album's artwork.

"Heritage" will be released in several configurations that will certainly incite the interest of OPETH's legion of fans, known for their passion for collecting and collectibles. The album will be released as a standard version; as a special edition loaded with extras; as a box set exclusive to the Roadrunner and the band's own official Omerch webstore; and as a double LP. There is something for every OPETH fan, thanks to this variety of options.

Commented Åkerfeldt, "It will be our 10th album/observation. I dig it; we all do. In fact, it feels like I've been building up to write for and participate on an album like this since I was 19."

Åkerfeldt went a little deeper and described the music contained within "Heritage", saying, "It's quite intense at times in some 'old' murky way, and quite beautiful and stark at times, if I may say so myself.

"It's obvious I'm going to say nice things about it since I wrote, basically, the whole piece, but I guess it will raise a few eyebrows and it certainly is an acquired taste.

"I think you'll need a slightly deeper understanding of our music as a whole to be able to appreciate this record.

"I've realized my influences for this album are so diverse that I can't really say what it sounds like.

"If I can compare it to any other band, it would have to be OPETH, but it's different from the stuff we've done before.

"I've listened a lot to ALICE COOPER for the last year, yet I can't say it sounds like 'No More Mr. Nice Guy'.

"I hope you'll like it once you hear it."

"Heritage" track listing:

01. Heritage
02. The Devil's Orchard
03. I Feel The Dark
04. Slither
05. Nepenthe
06. Haxprocess
07. Famine
08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth

OPETH will embark on a seven-week, headline tour of the U.S. Dates will be announced imminently.

Watershed and Ghost Reveries are both shit, I hope this one goes back to the heavier roots and sidesteps the overtly prog-rock feel of the past few releases. Fuck that, get the metal back into it.

I love the 70s prog stuff they've been doing (but then again, I'm 100 years old). They're a prog band that just happened to start out playing metal. I can't see them going back to Still Life or Blackwater Park, so if that's what you like, you should probably stop listening to them.

The cover is certainly different to anything they have put out thus far!
248860_10150260186353410_7496603409_9002103_5549670_n.jpg

Do they still do the screamy thing? I can't get into them because of the screamy thing. Not liking the screamy thing really cuts down on the metal that I like.

Yeah there's a lot of great stuff that incorporates said screamy thing! They still do it, but perhaps it's not quite as prominent.

Sure does look like a Sabbath cover. Wowee.

The album was played to journalists in 5.1 surround sound:

-NO death metal or growling
-Some bands or styles the album reminded the journalist of: Sabbath, Beatles, jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke, classical music, My Dying Bride, folk, Love, Jethro Tull, Maiden…
-Mikael said that he's been bored of death metal since 90's and its time is over for Opeth, and he's wanted to do this kind of album since when he was 20

Hmmm. i have to say I'll probably be disappointed if there's no death metal at all. But as long as he isn't trying to make a Rob Zombie album like Morbid Angel just did, I'll probably find plenty to like. Still, it irks me a bit when I hear guys like Mikael say stuff like that.