Opeth - new album details & US tour coming!!

Why not? I mean, I don't know who he is but I don't really care because Opeth wasn't really a keyboard-centric band to begin with and he'd just be playing what Mike writes.

Report from a Finnish journalist who was invited to listen to the album during some sort of listening session (google docs translated):

The recording was presented in 5.1 surround sound. "I heard the album like the first time and I knew it would be well presented to the directors of the label. I sensed it would, but then it was chilling to hear it that way." Akerfeldt said.

The 5.1 mix sounds good, although I'm usually against rocking out otherwise than in stereo. Mikael seems to think the same thing.

The album is about 56 minutes and during that time, a lot happens. It sounds quite complete.

Things that popped in my mind during the hearing: Sabbath, Beatles, Jazz, King Crimson, Cream, Rainbow, Floyd, funk, Purple, Piirpauke (Finnish band), classical music, My Dying Bride, folk, Love (the band) Jethro Tull, Maiden ...

The album reminds me not of a death metal disc with guttural vocals, but of 70s, where modern works of guitars are not the main point.

Synthesizer, Piano, Mellotron has great prominence throughout the album. In the introduction, for example, you hear bass and clarinet.

"We do not care what others think," says Akerfeldt. "And if fans do not like death metal, it's their problem."

The frontman also said he was tired of "metal with guttural" as was done in the 90s, but neither explains why the previous Opeth albums had songs in the guttural.

"I always wanted to do an album like this since I was 20 or so years old," explains a satisfied Akerfeldt.

When label folks heard the album, they did not have anything bad to say, definitely. People can form their own opinion this fall, if that's saying something about the criticism or the album itself.

In any case, if you like things '70s, you'll like this album. This is the most I can say, having heard the album once.

The first seven songs are fantastic, and the last three are about average.

I'm starting to picture an Opeth version of "Road Salt" somehow. And I am NOT saying that as a negative, because I really like that disc!

This is going to be VERY interesting to say the least! Can't wait!

heritage.jpg

Controversial, but I love it.

This has to be one of my favorite album covers of all time.

Why not? I mean, I don't know who he is but I don't really care because Opeth wasn't really a keyboard-centric band to begin with and he'd just be playing what Mike writes.

Beg to differ. I think the keys has a massive presence in Opeth. Especially live. Maybe I'm a bit hard on the new guy, but for me he is the "session guy" for Yngwie. Would love for him to prove me wrong.

Via http://www.bravewords.com/news/163222

Swedish prog-metallers OPETH have officially announced the complete routing for their upcoming North American tour with KATATONIA. The itinerary is as follows.

September
19 - The Palladium - Worcester, MA
20 - Webster Theater - Hartford, CT
21 - Webster Hall - New York, NY
22 - Webster Hall - New York, NY
23 - Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
26 - Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
27 - Expo Five - Louisville, KY
28 - Cannery Ballroom - Nashville, TN
29 - Amos’ Southend - Charlotte, NC
30 - Center Stage - Atlanta, GA

October
1 - House of Blues - Lake Buena Vista, FL
3 - Warehouse Live - Houston, TX
4 - – Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheater - Austin, TX
5 - Granada Theater - Dallas, TX
6 - The Beaumont Club - Kansas City, MO
7 - First Avenue - Minneapolis, MN
8 - Burton Cummings - Winnipeg, MB
10 - Edmonton Events Centre - Edmonton, AB
11 - MacEwan Hall Ballroom - Calgary, AB
13 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
14 - Knitting Factory Concert House - Spokane, WA
15 - Showbox SoDo - Seattle, WA
16 - Roseland Theatre - Portland, OR
18 - The Warfield - San Francisco, CA
19 - Mayan Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
20 - House of Blues - San Diego, CA
21 - The Fox Theater - Pomona, CA
22 - Marquee Theatre - Tempe, AZ
24 - The Complex - Salt Lake City, UT
25 - Ogden Theatre - Denver, CO
27 - The Rave - Milwaukee, WI
28 - Vic Theatre - Chicago, IL
29 - St. Andrews Hall - Detroit, MI
30 - Guelph Concert Theatre - Guelph, ON
31 - Mr Smalls Theatre - Millvale, PA

November
1 - Rams Head Live! – Baltimore, MD

September is getting sucky... too many shows other than ProgPower. That's never a good thing.

That being said, I will try to make it to the Hartford date.

Nice. It's on a Sunday in Chicago. Interesting that it's at the Vic. I had a feeling they would upgrade the venue somewhat.

Unless my 2011 calendar is faulty, the Chicago date of October 28 is a Friday...even better!!! Quite surprised by The Vic too...they have not hosted many shows of this ilk in quite some time. What a fantastic way to kick off Halloween weekend!!!:devil:

Unless my 2011 calendar is faulty, the Chicago date of October 28 is a Friday...even better!!! Quite surprised by The Vic too...they have not hosted many shows of this ilk in quite some time. What a fantastic way to kick off Halloween weekend!!!:devil:

I must have looked at the wrong month. You are correct. :loco:

At Center Stage?! That's all kinds of awesome!

But, they're playing there a few weeks too late. :)

It will be an interesting transition from seeing Katatonia in Hell and then at Center Stage a year later. Looking forward to it.