OPETH officially signed to ROADRUNNER RECORDS

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
Alright kids, its official, begin the : "RR is a shit label who has no clue of REAL music, and will pound Opeth in the anus and turn them metalcore" chants,

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=36980

As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first reported on April 18, OPETH mainman Mikael Åkerfeldt has now officially confirmed to MTV.com that the band have finalized a deal with New York's Roadrunner Records, bolstering an imposing roster that already includes KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SLIPKNOT, OBITUARY and CRADLE OF FILTH.

Åkerfeldt disclosed several details about the band's forthcoming, self-produced opus. The follow-up to 2003's acoustic masterpiece, "Damnation", and OPETH's first disc in years without producer Steve Wilson, the album will include "Ghost of Tradition", "The Baying of the Hounds" and "Isolation Years".

"Musically, 'Damnation' was an experiment for us," Åkerfeldt told MTV.com. "It also helped us to develop our sound. So this time around, you can say the overall record is going to be heavy-sounding. There's also a couple of songs that are more in the style of 'Damnation', so to speak. We also have a new member in the band, our keyboard player, Per Wiberg. So we have some vintage keyboards this time around on the heavy material as well. Overall, this one is heavy."

Åkerfeldt said OPETH will finish the record before month's end and expect to release it as early as late August. He also said they'll play some new material this summer as part of the inaugural Sounds of the Underground tour.

"We've never done anything like [a festival tour] before, but this is a new thing, so we're excited," he said. "It's a good chance to reach out to people who've never heard from us. I'm also looking forward to seeing STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and CLUTCH perform. Many of the bands on the tour I've never heard of."

Since when has MTV Given 2 shits about Opeth? I love Opeth, their new album is complete even beofre RR signed them, so this will be the same as if it were a release on their old label, so we cant blame the label this time if it sucks, which im sure it wont.

Good to see a band deserving of recognition get it, I hope for a bright future for Opeth.

Oh, and some food for thought:
"Basically I got fucked, that's the best way to put it, with Symbolic. Roadrunner had a totally disillusioned idea of what metal is. And that's why Symbolic wasn't pushed. That's not their idea of metal, their idea of metal is Coal Chamber and Korn. Symbolic basically got shove to the side and that's why metal in America has been screwed because of choices made by bigger labels deciding what metal is suppose to be about.

I got shoved to the side and you know what I could have said, "fuck all of this and I'm quitting, but I didn't. I think the album(Sound of Persev..)'s a perfect example of, you know, coming back saying whatever. I'm not gonna let people discourage me.

Eventually Roadrunner are going to jump back on the heavy metal bandwagon and it's gonne be cute, it's gonna be really sickening to see a label jump right back on what they got big from, but basically what they've turned their backs on in the process."

-Chuck Schuldiner

Lick my balls, urinalcakemix. I could not find an avatar that I really wanted, so I chose one that would be acceptable. I would have much preferred a Iced Earth, Symphony X, or Gamma Ray avatar.

But really dont lick my balls. Just dont shit talk for no real reason.

I couldn't give a damn about Opeth. After watching their DVD I don't think there exists a more dull live band.

No, I didnt ask my mom, but I did ask your mom after I pulled my dick out of her ass and smakced in the face. But she said she hadnt been turning tricks for a couple of days so she was broke.

Seriously man, the your mom thing is so redundant, EVERYTHING is YOUR MOM. Jesus, why must you succumb to that low so quickly? Get some skills and creativity, and an avatar, and we'll talk buddy, kthxbai. Oh and that name is pretty outrageous, and not in a good way either =/.

metalsped said:
Its too bad they are on such a lame tour. They are the only band that I would pay to see on the roster. Id like to see them hit the road with another band or two.
I agree, SYL and Gwar are sick live, but to see 3 sick bands play for 30 mins each and have to deal with all the crappy hardcore bands isn't worth my time nor efforts to get there.

urinalcakemix said:
Alright kids, its official, begin the : "RR is a shit label who has no clue of REAL music, and will pound Opeth in the anus and turn them metalcore" chants,

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=36980

As BLABBERMOUTH.NET first reported on April 18, OPETH mainman Mikael Åkerfeldt has now officially confirmed to MTV.com that the band have finalized a deal with New York's Roadrunner Records, bolstering an imposing roster that already includes KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SLIPKNOT, OBITUARY and CRADLE OF FILTH.

Åkerfeldt disclosed several details about the band's forthcoming, self-produced opus. The follow-up to 2003's acoustic masterpiece, "Damnation", and OPETH's first disc in years without producer Steve Wilson, the album will include "Ghost of Tradition", "The Baying of the Hounds" and "Isolation Years".

"Musically, 'Damnation' was an experiment for us," Åkerfeldt told MTV.com. "It also helped us to develop our sound. So this time around, you can say the overall record is going to be heavy-sounding. There's also a couple of songs that are more in the style of 'Damnation', so to speak. We also have a new member in the band, our keyboard player, Per Wiberg. So we have some vintage keyboards this time around on the heavy material as well. Overall, this one is heavy."

Åkerfeldt said OPETH will finish the record before month's end and expect to release it as early as late August. He also said they'll play some new material this summer as part of the inaugural Sounds of the Underground tour.

"We've never done anything like [a festival tour] before, but this is a new thing, so we're excited," he said. "It's a good chance to reach out to people who've never heard from us. I'm also looking forward to seeing STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and CLUTCH perform. Many of the bands on the tour I've never heard of."

Since when has MTV Given 2 shits about Opeth? I love Opeth, their new album is complete even beofre RR signed them, so this will be the same as if it were a release on their old label, so we cant blame the label this time if it sucks, which im sure it wont.

Good to see a band deserving of recognition get it, I hope for a bright future for Opeth.

This will be interesting to see. Roadrunner has a shitty roster now, but with all the past bands they've had on there, they've been smart and made a lot of money. And now that they've had Nickleback, they are the largest 'non-major' label out there by far.

I don't care that they're on there as I don't see Opeth catering their sound to anyone. It'll be interesting to see if Roadrunner gives them a push by buying them an opening slot on a major Metal tour. We'll see...

Oh, and some food for thought:
"Basically I got fucked, that's the best way to put it, with Symbolic. Roadrunner had a totally disillusioned idea of what metal is. And that's why Symbolic wasn't pushed. That's not their idea of metal, their idea of metal is Coal Chamber and Korn. Symbolic basically got shove to the side and that's why metal in America has been screwed because of choices made by bigger labels deciding what metal is suppose to be about.

I got shoved to the side and you know what I could have said, "fuck all of this and I'm quitting, but I didn't. I think the album(Sound of Persev..)'s a perfect example of, you know, coming back saying whatever. I'm not gonna let people discourage me.

Eventually Roadrunner are going to jump back on the heavy metal bandwagon and it's gonne be cute, it's gonna be really sickening to see a label jump right back on what they got big from, but basically what they've turned their backs on in the process."

-Chuck Schuldiner

Yeah, Chuck was truly a philosopher and way ahead of his time. He was a unique Metal legend who WASN'T afraid to speak his mind.

Chuck rules!

Walter_Langkowski said:
This will be interesting to see. Roadrunner has a shitty roster now, but with all the past bands they've had on there, they've been smart and made a lot of money. And now that they've had Nickleback, they are the largest 'non-major' label out there by far.

I don't care that they're on there as I don't see Opeth catering their sound to anyone. It'll be interesting to see if Roadrunner gives them a push by buying them an opening slot on a major Metal tour. We'll see...

Yeah, Chuck was truly a philosopher and way ahead of his time. He was a unique Metal legend who WASN'T afraid to speak his mind.

Chuck rules!

Chuck does indeed rule

I love OPETH! Nobody better ruin them, or they shall answer to me!

Wonder what will happen to Anathema, I think they were on Music for Nations as well.

At least everyone who shops at Hot Topic will know who Opeth is now.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

urinalcakemix said:

-Chuck Schuldiner

Chuck Schuldiner hit the fucking nail on the head. That's all I have to say here.

Met-Al said:
At least everyone who shops at Hot Topic will know who Opeth is now.

Umm, they already know. At least, in some Hot Topics.

* Pellaz points to an Opeth tee-shirt, purchased at a Hot Topic in Calif. by a friend and sent to Atlanta as a favor :D