DREAM THEATER/roadrunner records.....

Are you serious? To me that's like saying i love this authors work but his books are too long. I think I'll skip some chapters. The book would either make no sense or its value would be sorely diminished.

Ever read an overly long boring book that you wished would hurry up and be over?
Im not saying that the music is bad or whatnot, because that would be plain stupid of me. I feel alot of prog bands just write these songs because they think they need to. I prefer songs more to the point. I think you can write an amazing prog piece in well under 10 minutes. Even within 5 minutes.

3 examples of bands who i personally love to death, but have songs i dont bother listening to because i feel theyre just long for the sake of being long...

1) Dream Theater -six degrees of inner turbulance- if this song were broken up into parts and made standalone independant songs i would love it. but as is i cant listen to it. ridiculously long.
2) Circus Maximus- the 1st chapter-amazing band, amazing album. long for the sake of having a long song, the music contained within is amazing tho.
3) Symphony X-the divine wings of tragedy-same reason as circus maximus

10 years ago i thought the longer the song the better too. but people and opinions change i guess:)

Ever read an overly long boring book that you wished would hurry up and be over?

I've also read books that were so good I never wanted them to end.

And just like stories, the fun of music is not in hearing the song end, its in the listening experience itself (or experiencing the story). I know some peoples attention spans can't make it through longer songs/movies/books but I always kinda held the "epic" prog songs in a special regard. Thats why when a band has one on every album (or more than one) it kinda devalues it to me. Like being an old Genesis fan, Supper's Ready is always the "special" one (and up until 6DoiT came out, ACoS was the same for Dream Theater).

and anyway, f you wanted the book to be over so badly, you could always stop reading it :).

Considering what DT has achieved over their career, it seems irrelevant whether or not Roadrunner has a major impact on their next album sales. DT will sell albums and do fine regardless of who is behind them. I'm sure DT could have basically written their own ticket when it came to choosing who to sign with, and if they are happy with RR then it will most likely result in a better end product from the band.

Uh, am I going crazy or is the song already broken into parts?

I was waiting for someone to say this. And yes ur right. but it doesnt change the fact that its meant to be taken in as a whole song. and the parts u speak of arent really complete songs.

Well all I can say is I hope this dream theater is better than the last several. I was a huge fan of DT for years. However, I personally feel(I know many will disagree) The last great album the band had was "Awake" and the last half way decent after that was "falling into infinity" . The other stuff just gone to technicle and lost the emotion to me. Then some of the stuff that was decent enough had the vocals recorded weird. Thats just my two cents.

I figured Dream Theater would have just released their stuff on their own. Their fans will buy their stuff, no matter what label releases it. The Roadrunner thing didn't make sense to me until I found out about the Warner connection. At least Roadrunner has more of a metal focus, as Atlantic really didn't know what to do with them. Of course, Atlantic's lack of promotion didn't do anything to hurt the band. I didn't think of the idea of numerous versions of the new album being released, but one other thing that bothers me is the potential swarm of Hot Topic kids invading the next tour. I'll personally snap the femurs of every one of these fucks if they decide that Dream Theater is moshing music.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I am cautious about this signing. Roadrunner did NOTHING to help one of their old time bands Obituary with their last cd when it came to pushing the cd!:erk:

That's because Obituary broke up for all that time and had to finish out their contract when they reformed. Completey different story from DT.

Also, Warner's aquisition of Roadrunner had no influence on DT signing with them. Obviously the band has been working out this deal since before two weeks ago (or however long ago the Warner purchase was officially anounced). It's not like a band up and signs a contract and that's that, there is months and months of shopping/planning.

... but one other thing that bothers me is the potential swarm of Hot Topic kids invading the next tour. I'll personally snap the femurs of every one of these fucks if they decide that Dream Theater is moshing music.

Al, you will never, and I mean NEVER, see Dream Theater being embraced by the average Hot Topic kid. They are simply not going to be into that. If there are any kids there, it'll be because they like DT and it's new to them. There is nothing trend-worthy about DT at all, IMO.