Dream Theater S/T new studio album

Dream Theater is the weak link to James LaBrie. He sounds fantastic on this disc, but the music is so sub par for DT that it lulls me to sleep.
But then again, when was the last strong disc? 6 Degrees of Inner Masturbation, probly.

We all know when it comes to Dream Theater, the criticism and the tone of that criticism is magnified 100 times. They are easily the top dog in the genre in terms of popularity, sales, and recognition. So that makes them a target, some people resent that they are so big and others because of their past greatness have high expectations. I have no problem with people not liking DT or critiquing their work, I have done it plenty in the past.

The thing that is weird to me is the level of scrutiny and criticism people lob their way, yet they give other bands in the genre a pass on. We have heard the (deserved) criticism of how some DT songs had parts that were very similar to other artists. Yet you bring up early music by bands like Pagan's Mind and Circus Maximus that are so obviously dripping with Dream Theater riffs (or in the case of PM, just plain lifting sections of songs), you see the mental gymnastics of fans to try to justify those as "being influenced by" or "paying tribute to". Again, I have zero problem with people not digging the band, I just find it funny the double standards people often use when critiquing the genre.

Here is one you can roll eyes at, I am certainly being sarcastic here.

Dream Theater' latest opus is the greatest work of progressive music ever. All of the greatest progressive albums such as ‘Foxtrot’, ‘Pawn Hearts’, ‘Mirage’, ‘Darkside of the Moon’, ‘Fragile’, or ‘Song for America’ are pale comparisons to the majesty of what Dream Theater have created here. All the creativity, artistry, feeling, and progression have certainly surpassed those bands once thought of as being inventive and exciting.

How about that part in "Illumination Theory" directly after the big orchestra break? I'd love to hear them try to explore that sound more, that section is incredible!

Dream Theater' latest opus is the greatest work of progressive music ever. All of the greatest progressive albums such as ‘Foxtrot’, ‘Pawn Hearts’, ‘Mirage’, ‘Darkside of the Moon’, ‘Fragile’, or ‘Song for America’ are pale comparisons to the majesty of what Dream Theater have created here. All the creativity, artistry, feeling, and progression have certainly surpassed those bands once thought of as being inventive and exciting.

You sure showed all those people who said the new Dream Theater is the most brilliant thing ever. All zero of them.

LOL, ok Jeremy, you win with that one. :lol: That was an absurd review that could only come from a DT fanboy. :lol:

I loved the first several DT albums. Unfortunately, I don't like hearing LaBrie trying to do some of the earlier songs live - for example, Surrounded. He needs to change the vocals so they're lower pitched, since he really can't do the high notes well anymore.

Posted on FB earlier; New Dream Theater album is yet another challenge to get through without falling asleep. It doesn't get better and at this point there is never any going back for this band. They have released the most boring monotonous so called "prog" for so long now it is almost hard to believe they ever released a good album.

I don't disagree, although I wouldn't have stated it that harshly.

I think DT is a victim of their own success which happened very early in their career. That's been good and bad for the band. Good in that they built a rabildly-loyal fan base and name recognition early enough to cash in on those so valuable, yet so elusive assets for the rest of their careers. On the other hand, when they released masterpieces like Images and Words and Awake in only their 2nd and 3rd studio releases, they doomed every single subsequent release to being compared to those two gold standards of progressive metal.

Way back when Awake was released, I seriously doubted they could do anything to top it - it was just so perfect to my ears in every way. And I was right. The new s/t disc is a good listen for me, but I do understand how others would regard it as rather slow and "boring" -- it's mood is quite introspective and melancholy -- which isn't for everyone. Fortunately, there's bands like Ashes of Ares to enjoy when we want a disc that goes for our jugular from the get-go.

I don't disagree, although I wouldn't have stated it that harshly.

I think DT is a victim of their own success which happened very early in their career. That's been good and bad for the band. Good in that they built a rabildly-loyal fan base and name recognition early enough to cash in on those so valuable, yet so elusive assets for the rest of their careers. On the other hand, when they released masterpieces like Images and Words and Awake in only their 2nd and 3rd studio releases, they doomed every single subsequent release to being compared to those two gold standards of progressive metal.

Way back when Awake was released, I seriously doubted they could do anything to top it - it was just so perfect to my ears in every way. And I was right. The new s/t disc is a good listen for me, but I do understand how others would regard it as rather slow and "boring" -- it's mood is quite introspective and melancholy -- which isn't for everyone. Fortunately, there's bands like Ashes of Ares to enjoy when we want a disc that goes for our jugular from the get-go.

They did top Awake. Its called Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Ahh, the smug self righteousness of fans throwing witty barbs at Dream Theater. It is not enough to say that you don't like it for whatever reason. Rather it is about being as dickish and sarcastic about it as you can. Showing the superiority over any idiot who dare be droll enough to find entertainment in their music :rolleyes: