Judas Priest NOSTRADAMUS (sound link posted)

Not saying that at all. I'm saying they are toting this as a masterpiece and something new for them etc. etc. but then they fail at getting it sounding good in the studio. Seems like a shame and lots of wasted efort.

after listening to it again. it kinda seems like too big of an undertaking for them, i mean with all the little intro/segue passages into a song. Sorta like they just strung up a bunch of songs with a few safety pins. I think they need to 'consult' with Jon Olivia, THE concept album guy. He could give them a few lessons on how to do it without filler...imo

After even more listens, I feel that Nostradamus crushes as a metal opera. In my opinion, it's so much larger than an Oliva/'Tage concept album. Oliva is really good at writing "Broadway musical" metal concepts, not necessarily metal operas. For a first time foray into this genre, I think Priest did a mighty fine job. "Exiled" is such a great example of epic songwriting and emotion. Meh....maybe I'm just a Priest junky....I dig it!

Listened to it 4-5 times now. Each time becomes better. Pestilence and PLague is my fave so far. Love the deluxe version.

Can't wait for the Vancouver (Platinum VIP!!) & Calgary shows (VIP).

I was terribly disappointed in it the first time I listened, but I'm lovin' it now -
it's a real grower that I think highlights Rob's vocals above everything else. There is too much mellow stuff on there as I think they could have edited it a bit better, and I'm still not crazy about the guitar sound but overall I think they succeeded in what they set out to do. Just wish they were playing Atlanta!!!

Oh....and by the way.... I think Arjen Lucassen is THE concept album guy. The Ayreon epic can't be touched, IMO!

+1

I was reading and waiting to see the reaction on this forum about the subject. In another two forums (one of them on this website) the basic consensus is that is boooooring! Too much filler, too long, too inconsistent.
For the first time in my life I'll not going to buy a JP record, my heart bleeds :erk:

You're missing out on a great listen. Yeah, it's not all fast and furious, but if you dig the moodier side of Priest (Blood Red Skies, Eulogy, etc....you know the drill!), it's really good. Walk into it like you're expecting to listen to Ayreon instead of Painkiller and you should be in the right frame of mind.

You're missing out on a great listen. Yeah, it's not all fast and furious, but if you dig the moodier side of Priest (Blood Red Skies, Eulogy, etc....you know the drill!), it's really good. Walk into it like you're expecting to listen to Ayreon instead of Painkiller and you should be in the right frame of mind.

Believe me I tried, I wasn't expecting another "Painkiller" or DOTF, I would have been happy with the path of AOR (a little more ballsy maybe). I had listened to the whole album 4-5 times and it inevitable bring tears to my eyes and makes grab my head, this is not Judas Priest, this is not Judas Priest :cry:

If they only have cut it to one CD and eliminate so much filler it would have made sense for me, songs interrelated around Nostradamus without the symphonic operatic scheme. More or less what Iron Maiden did with SSOASS. I think the jacket was too big for JP to wear it, effectively they're not Ayreon.

Have anyone had heard Nikolo Kotzev's "Nostradamus"? for some reason that one makes way more sense to me that this one. And that one is not a masterpiece or anything like it although it has Jorn, Goran Edman, Glenn Hughes and (sadly) Joe Lynn Turner.

But I'm disgressing, the bottom line is that Judas Priest it's pure, genuine, straightforward heavy metal and "Nostradamus" does not deliver that to me. But it's good so many people like it and buy the record, otherwise the band may face extinction due to bad sellings and lost of fandom.

Believe me I tried, I wasn't expecting another "Painkiller" or DOTF, I would have been happy with the path of AOR (a little more ballsy maybe). I had listened to the whole album 4-5 times and it inevitable bring tears to my eyes and makes grab my head, this is not Judas Priest, this is not Judas Priest :cry:

If they only have cut it to one CD and eliminate so much filler it would have made sense for me, songs interrelated around Nostradamus without the symphonic operatic scheme. More or less what Iron Maiden did with SSOASS. I think the jacket was too big for JP to wear it, effectively they're not Ayreon.

Have anyone had heard Nikolo Kotzev's "Nostradamus"? for some reason that one makes way more sense to me that this one. And that one is not a masterpiece or anything like it although it has Jorn, Goran Edman, Glenn Hughes and (sadly) Joe Lynn Turner.

But I'm disgressing, the bottom line is that Judas Priest it's pure, genuine, straightforward heavy metal and "Nostradamus" does not deliver that to me. But it's good so many people like it and buy the record, otherwise the band may face extinction due to bad sellings and lost of fandom.

That's cool.....hey, at least you gave it a shot. I guess that I'll probably be in the extreme minority that loves this album. BTW....I do have Kotzev's "Nostradamus" and I like Priest's much better. Kotzev's sounds like his other Brazen Abbott stuff, whereas Priest really tried to use a different style for their concept.

I'm about 70% through disc 1 - and one thing I definitely don't like is the lack of dynamics tempo wise. All the songs so far are pretty one dimensional when it comes to tempo, kinda droning and monotonous (it pains me to say this!). Still, I shall venture on...

Before I hit post, the most lively of all the tunes just came on, Conquest.

Ok so I am on the next to last track. If more of this release had been like the title track Nostradamus this would be quite an awesome offering from Priest.

Jumping to conclusions on first listen so far, I'm disappointed overall - and again, I HATE to say that. Priest is one of my all time favs.

i understand what they were going for with this release, but it's like eating a lot of candy and sweets, you love them in moderation, but too much and it leaves your stomach feeling like BLeh! Priest (for me personally) put too many tracks of the same medium to slow/medium pace on this album. I keep waiting for it to kick in and then 3-4 songs down the line, I'm still waiting. Rob didn't get as aggressive vocally as I would have liked either. Again, a lot of that playing it safe mid/low vocal range (for him anyways). I realize they're getting older but come on fellas!

Anyways, not too impressed overall. But, it's Priest, so I will give it a couple more listens.

Now, the new Opeth on the other hand....listened to that 3 times today...by choice...

I absolutely hate this cd. Ugh. It's plodding, predictable and really lacking any energy for me. Oh my, do I not like this release.

Listening to Nostradamus via Rhapsody music service here at the office....

There is definitely some great stuff on here....however it will need some time to digest. I don't think it will grab folks like a "...Mindcrime", but I recall I didn't exactly dig that one initially either. Rob sounds great...that's for sure.

+1...this is not your typical Priest album, but neither was Point of Entry...l remember that one getting slammed when it was released & many years later for it's different approach. This is a concept album...something of which JP hasn't done...and it's a very good one. Fans of Painkiller won't get this one...it's not a "sledgehammer to the head" release. It'll take some absorbing because of the amount of material that's on it but just like KG said it took me awhile to take in all of Operation Mindcrime. Priest scores big with me with Nostradamus. :worship:

It's different. I knew it was going to be different. Actually, that was part of the appeal of the Nostradamus album for me. Angel of Retribution I found rather boring and Roy Z's production on it sucks donkey dick to say the least. I'd love to see another Painkiller style album from JUDAS PRIEST. Believe me when I tell you, but Nostradamus is an excellent album and I find it very enjoyable and I am pleased that JP created this masterpiece.