Interesting article, "Top 5 Songs about Prosititution"

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Yes, a totally wth post.. but I didn't know a few of these songs were about it!

By Alex Skolnick

This post is totally unexpected. I’ve been working on a different post for a day or so. But every now and then unexpected ideas pop into your head and you just have to go with them.

Although today happens to be Passover, it is not my intention to debase this holiday by discussing the subject of prostitution. On the other hand, perhaps it’s fitting to bring up a practice that dates back to Biblical times and is considered the ‘world’s oldest profession?

I’m happy to say prostitution is something I’ve never experienced and never will. To me, removing all emotional connections from physical love completely diminishes the purpose and the pleasure. How can one be intimate with another human being and feel no care, no compassion, no respect? I cannot think of anything more depressing or un-erotic.

Yet, while I find the idea of going to a prostitute revolting. I have mixed feelings about its criminalization. Like narcotics, it’s a vice I don’t believe in but fail to see the logic in the way its practitioners are thrown in jail at least in most of the United States.

Not that legal prostitution doesn’t have its flaws. In Europe, I’ve been present among friends and associates who have ended their night in places like Amsterdam’s Red Light District and Hamburg’s ‘Reper Bahn.’ One time in Hamburg, I had to physically fight off some of these ‘friends’ who tried to drag me with them (I escaped into a cab to our hotel). Virtually of them came back with horror stories of how they’d been ripped off, promised goods that were only partially delivered before being hit up for more money, then bounced from their respective establishments.

Whatever one’s feelings are on the issue of prostitution, it has inspired some really great songs. The reality of Prostitution may be disturbing and controversial, but that doesn’t mean one can’t enjoy the music it has inspired. Here then, are my top 5 songs about prostitution:

5. “The House Of The Rising Sun” The Animals

Did you know what this song was about? I didn’t at first. I remember reading an interview with a guitarist, Toto’s Steve Lukather I think, where he described his aunt asking him to play that pretty song ‘House Of The Rising Sun,’ (which is actually a centuries old folk song), and he laughed at the fact that she ‘didn’t get it.’ This caused me to pay attention to the lyrics. Supposedly it is about a seventeenth century brothel in Soho, but refitted to take place in twentieth century New Orleans.

There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it’s been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God I know I’m one

4. “The Fire Down Below”

On the flip side is this tune. No interpretation necessary. Bob Seger is someone whose albums I’ve never owned (why should I ? Anytime you want to hear him, just turn on classic rock radio). But he’s pleasant to listen to just for driving music. And you’ve got to hand it to him for this song which tells it like it is:

Here comes the rich man in his big long limousine
Here comes the poor man all you got to have is green
Here comes the banker and the lawyer and the cop
One thing for certain it ain’t never gonna stop

When it all gets too heavy
That’s when they come and go
With only one thing in common
They got the fire down below

3. La Grange ZZ Top

Hmm, what do you suppose these lyrics are about? (A haw, haw haw haw….)

Rumour spreadin’ a-’round in that Texas town
’bout that shack outside La Grange
and you know what I’m talkin’ about.
Just let me know if you wanna go
to that home out on the range.
They gotta lotta nice girls ah.

2. ‘Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love’ Van Halen

It was hearing this song and contemplating the lyrics that inspired this post. It sounds like the character is singing to the girl that he’s got ’something she needs’ and lo and behold, he ‘ain’t talkin’ bout love.’ I think he’s probably talking about money. Or maybe it’s drugs? Anything but love. Perhaps ‘the streets’ are a metaphor used to represent her bad attitude? I suppose it’s open to interpretation, like many good songs. David Lee Roth’s lyrics may not be Dylan, but these words certainly wouldn’t end up in last years ‘Best Songs With The Worst Lyric’s Awards.’

You know you’re semi-good lookin’
And on the streets again
Oh yeah, you think you’re really cookin’ baby
You better find yourself a friend, my friend

1. “Roxanne” The Police

Where as some songs use prostitution as a possible metaphor for relationships (see #2) Stings lyrics are the ultimate blend: a song about a relationship with a prostitute. There are no metaphors here and not even very many lyrics. Everything is spelled out very clearly by the character in the song. This poor guy is pleading, begging his girl not to go out on the streets at night. We not only feel his pain, it sticks in our head as one of the catchiest little ditties and best grooves in modern pop music.

Roxanne, you don’t have to put on the red light
Those days are over
You don’t have to sell your body to the night
Roxanne, you don’t have to wear that dress tonight
Walk the streets for money
You don’t care if it’s wrong or if it’s right

~Jen

Charlotte the Harlot? 22 Acacia Avenue? Bah.

Too funny, as those were the first two songs I expected to see on this list when reading the thread.

I agree with Skolnik though. I have never had a "call girl" or whatever you want to call it. I could not even imagine how "uneventful" the situation could be.

Yeah, 22 Acacia Avenue is definitely at the top of the list when it comes to prostitution songs! Not quite mainstream enough for the purposes of Skolnick's write-up though. :)