5. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
6. A Dramatic Turn of Events
7. Falling Into Obscurity (Infinity)
8. When Dream and Day Unite
9. Systematic Chaos
10. Octovarium
11.Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Train of Thought

They really overdo it with the live discs/dvd's etc... Its great to see them play the material, but every other album? Totally greed related IMO

Wasn't there a song on TOT that 'borrowed' a riff from Master of Puppets I think?

They've done bits of this throughout their career in homage to their influences. "Peruvian Skies" hits on "Enter Sandman", and in some live performances they actually segued right into Sandman.......

I think with DT it is truly a matter of respect when they do this, and nothing more.

Right, had not seen it like that! They have actually bootlegs of their versions of Master, Dark side, Made in Japan and Number of the Beast!!

The new song is cool. but it's not really resonating with me. I'm in the "they've done this track before" camp, and I get the sense it'll just blend into the last decade of DT material for me.

Of course, I'm one of the few people who actually loves the song "Prophets of War," which stems partly from the fact that it's different, it actually sticks out. DT is still cemented in it's co-#1 spot with Rush on my fave bands list, but Octavarium is the only album from their last 10 years of output that I actively listen to, and that includes adtoe. Hoping for something to hook me into listening to this new disc.

Of course, I'm one of the few people who actually loves the song "Prophets of War," which stems partly from the fact that it's different, it actually sticks out.

I'm with ya also. Second favorite on that album behind "Sacrificed Sons".

"Prophets Of War" is on "Systematic Chaos." "Sacrificed Sons" is on "Octavarium. I actually list "Prophets Of War" as one of the three songs that I don't really like by Dream Theater. I think it sounds like a blatant ripoff of Muse, a band that I can't stand.

In regards to the live recordings, TwizstedJesus, Portnoy was the man responsible for the numerous releases. As a big fan of the live music experience, he liked to offer varying live sets to the band's rabid fan base. Some folks may have seen it as overkill, but a number of Dream Theater fans (myself included) appreciate the jam band approach that he applied to the band's live performances.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

"Prophets Of War" is on "Systematic Chaos." "Sacrificed Sons" is on "Octavarium.

Egg on my face. :oops:

Still a solid tune.

And I agree with you completely on the live aspects of DT. I never minded the volume of live material, as songs were frequently changed up to keep them fresh. You can listen to the same song on several different performances, and it sounds very different each time.

The production and the drumming are far better on this song alone than on DTOE, however it was still super predictable and nothing really dynamically interesting.
But I'll give the album a tad more faith overall.
At least if this album sucks, I have Haken's newest album to look forward too.

In regards to the live recordings, TwizstedJesus, Portnoy was the man responsible for the numerous releases. As a big fan of the live music experience, he liked to offer varying live sets to the band's rabid fan base. Some folks may have seen it as overkill, but a number of Dream Theater fans (myself included) appreciate the jam band approach that he applied to the band's live performances.

Agree 100%. This is the one aspect I and most will continue to miss from DT. There is hardly anyone in music today who puts the effort towards setlists that Portnoy did.