Dream Theater S/T new studio album

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Dream Theater - Album Art And Track Listing Revealed!

Dream Theater’s self-titled album – the band’s 12th studio release overall, and fourth with Roadrunner Records – will be released September 24, and now you can check out the cover art and see the track listing below!

Says guitarist John Petrucci about Dream Theater, “I see every new album as an opportunity to start over. To either build or improve upon a direction that has been evolving over time or to completely break new ground. This is the first self-titled album of our career and there is nothing I can think of that makes a statement of musical and creative identity stronger than that. We’ve fully explored all of the elements that make us unique, from the epic and intense to the atmospheric and cinematic. We’re incredibly excited about Dream Theater and can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

The nine-track disc was recorded at Cove City Studio in Glen Cove, Long Island, with guitarist Petrucci producing and Richard Chycki engineering and mixing. It’s the band’s second album with drummer Mike Mangini, and the first one on which he was a part of the writing process from day one.

p17v20qlpc1tk4163tgsl1gvjeet4.jpg

In January, Petrucci said of Mangini’s work, “When people hear the drumming on this album, they’re gonna be pretty freaked out. On the last album, he did a great job, but he wasn’t there for the writing process and he was interpreting drum parts that I had programmed. Even though he used his creativity, of course, to change them up and do his thing, I feel like now he’s just Mike Mangini unleashed. It’s all him. It’s all his creativity, all his decisions and ideas and man, the guy’s an animal.”

The track listing for Dream Theater is as follows:
1. False Awakening Suite
i. Sleep Paralysis
ii. Night Terrors
iii. Lucid Dream
2. The Enemy Inside
3. The Looking Glass
4. Enigma Machine
5. The Bigger Picture
6. Behind the Veil
7. Surrender to Reason
8. Along for the Ride
9. Illumination Theory
i. Paradoxe de la Lumière Noire
ii. Live, Die, Kill
iii. The Embracing Circle
iv. The Pursuit of Truth
v. Surrender, Trust & Passion

Dream Theater will be available in a wide range of distinctive versions, including standard and special edition CDs, 180 gram double LP, and a limited edition boxed set. Pre-orders are scheduled to launch in July at the Roadrunner Webstore.

Dream Theater will be on tour in Europe in January and February 2014, and in North America in March 2014.

p17v20ud2aqqgp669ot23927i4.jpg

First day buyer here. Dream Theater's last two albums were very good imo. I can't wait to see what Mike Mangini will be doing behind the kit!

I certainly can't wait to hear this album! However, I'm surprised that the band is holding off on touring to support it for a few months. They're usually on the road as soon as an album is released. I welcome the change, though, as it gives listeners more time to let the album soak in before they see the music performed on stage.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I certainly can't wait to hear this album! However, I'm surprised that the band is holding off on touring to support it for a few months. They're usually on the road as soon as an album is released. I welcome the change, though, as it gives listeners more time to let the album soak in before they see the music performed on stage.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I wonder if it has to do with James Labrie's solo album plans? I know James wanted to do some touring in support of it...

As a huge DT fan, I hated Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds, and began to feel completely disenchanted with the band. However, the previous record was a welcome surprise and I absolutely loved it, so I've got decent expectations for this one.

AeonicSlumber, I'm curious as to what turned you off in regards to Dream Theater's first two Roadrunner releases. I certainly don't think these albums are perfect (in fact, I believe that "Systematic Chaos" is the weakest album in their catalog), but I still think that at their worst, Dream Theater is still better than 75% of all other bands in existence.

Milton, I didn't even take LaBrie's solo work into consideration. That's a good point. Though I don't care for the direction he's taken with his two latest albums, I would love to see his solo band live just to see him perform any of his growl-less material.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

AeonicSlumber, I'm curious as to what turned you off in regards to Dream Theater's first two Roadrunner releases. I certainly don't think these albums are perfect (in fact, I believe that "Systematic Chaos" is the weakest album in their catalog), but I still think that at their worst, Dream Theater is still better than 75% of all other bands in existence.

Both records had some OK tracks, but also some enormous duds that were so bad they had me to the point of almost completely abandoning the band. On both of those releases, they went (to quote Tropic Thunder) full retard in terms of doing the Train Of Thought style heavier stuff. Train Of Thought managed that stuff with some degree of finesse in my opinion, but a bunch of those tracks were so unforgivably bad I'm not sure how anyone could defend them. Also the lyrics went full retard too - some of the cheesiest lyrics I've ever heard, which was surprising considering that their lyrics prior were generally pretty good.

Additionally, both of those records had very little thought put into to the keyboard section. Especially considering Octavarium was such a dense and atmospheric record that was the best DT record since Scenes From a Memory if you ask me.

I suppose though, the worst offense of all is that the tracks were generally empty, shallow, and bankrupt. No standout riffs, no choruses or melodies that really were anything to remember. It literally sounded almost like a parody of Dream Theater. And that was a shame for me, because around the Octavarium era I was sure that the band couldn't do anything wrong. And I like you, felt DT at its worst was better than the majority of what was coming out - until those records which were just awful imo.

My predictions are that this new album will be far better than their last attempt, but not as good as we hoped.

I'm just interested in what Mangini will bring to the album, thats about it. I will say I'm almost more excited about James Labrie's solo album.

One of the things I find fascinating about DT fans is that someone's favorite album is bound to be another person's least favorite.

To my ears, Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos are the only above average albums they've done since SFAM.

One of the things I find fascinating about DT fans is that someone's favorite album is bound to be another person's least favorite.

To my ears, Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos are the only above average albums they've done since SFAM.

Train of Thought is one of my favorites too. I think I'm gonna go back and give Black Clouds another chance. I've given Systematic Chaos enough chances - can't stand that one.

Thanks, AeonicSlumber!

While I wouldn't completely side with you on those views, I get where you're coming from with a number of your points. There are two songs on "Systematic Chaos" that I don't think I'll ever truly enjoy ("The Dark Eternal Night" and "Prophets Of War"), and the lyrics to "The Count Of Tuscany" from "Black Clouds & Silver Linings" are absolutely horrid. Also, though I enjoy the heavier songs that have a more "modern" approach, it's not a side of them that I'm always in the mood to hear. I completely agree with you when it comes to "Octavarium." I love that album from top to bottom. Thanks again! I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the subject.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert