Dream Theater S/T new studio album

Sometimes metal's worse enemies are metal fans themselves. With the fragmentation of the genre into endless sub-genre metal fans started treating each other's sub-genres (and eventually each other's bands) with contempt. Ironic, because that was always the metal fans' complaint about how the mainstream treated them. Is like the bullied becoming the bully as soon as he has a chance.

What I don't understand is how bands like DT get jabbed at all the time, yet other prog metal bands that
are clearly highly influenced by them and sometimes even sound like them, never get jabs at them at all??? I mean, what's that all about??? The only thing I can think of is either #1 jealousy, or #2, they are just trying to rattle feathers, because they know that the Godly musicians known as DT are hard to criticize, so they just criticize them for the hell of it.... or #3, they just hate prog metal all together.

Also, 6DOIT better than Awake? Are you frigging kidding me? Not even close.....

Sometimes metal's worse enemies are metal fans themselves. With the fragmentation of the genre into endless sub-genre metal fans started treating each other's sub-genres (and eventually each other's bands) with contempt. Ironic, because that was always the metal fans' complaint about how the mainstream treated them. Is like the bullied becoming the bully as soon as he has a chance.

Are you new to this forums? For the most part it is all about nerds who had no friends, no acceptance, or ones bullied and now they can feel the superior. :lol: Just follow closely and wait until something gets heated then you will see the clicks form. It certainly could make for an interesting sociological study.

What I don't understand is how bands like DT get jabbed at all the time, yet other prog metal bands that
are clearly highly influenced by them and sometimes even sound like them, never get jabs at them at all??? I mean, what's that all about??? The only thing I can think of is either #1 jealousy, or #2, they are just trying to rattle feathers, because they know that the Godly musicians known as DT are hard to criticize, so they just criticize them for the hell of it.... or #3, they just hate prog metal all together.

Also, 6DOIT better than Awake? Are you frigging kidding me? Not even close.....

This makes me think of a conversation earlier today when Magna Carta Records came up. In the beginning of that label it was all about finding bands that sounded like Dream Theater, I ate it up for awhile because it was so neat to see so many progressive bands popping up. However I quickly became bored with it.
Forget where that was going.:lol:
I think DT is a focus for so much criticism because they are the biggest, and so much is expected of them (as mentioned above). No I never expect them to recreate 'Images' or 'Awake' they can't for one reason the time that happened was right for those albums. Still I myself hung on to the fact that they might one day create another album of well structured songs oppose to nothing but an album of musical masturbation. But after all it is their workm so I guess whatever they want to do.
No one disputes the musicianship, that factor is godly but the songwriting leaves a lot to be desired.
As for ragging on bands influenced by DTY, well is it really worth it?:lol:

oh just remembered where that thought was going; It seems that in those earlier days DT was a leader in prog / prog metal, now like all those Magna Carta bands back then DT now sound like just a band doing what is expected of them. I believe something like this was mentioned earlier.

For me, DT started going downhill when Jordan Rudess joined the band. I don't know whether that's a coincidence or not, but case in point my favourite DT song in years, Count of Tuscany, was utterly ruined at the end with a pointless and musically uninteresting continuum solo. Compare that to the (brief) ragtime section on Dance of Eternity, which I thought was by far the best part of an otherwise rather dull instrumental.

Yeah because I'm the only DT fan that rates Six Degrees as their best album (rollseyes)

To me this is what is so great about DT. Honestly every time a new album comes out some people love it. Other don't like it because it is either "too heavy", "too prog", "not progressive enough" etc. Or people will say, it is ok, but not as good as ________.

From talking to Dream Theater fans, I have heard just about every album mentioned as their "best". Sure, there are some albums (I&W, Awake, SFAM) that get mentioned more than others, but I have heard just about every album. I think it is a positive and negative by product of them being able to blend metal and progressive elements. Their fans tend to lean a little towards one of those, so when they lean a little more in one of those directions on an album, it makes some fans happy and others unhappy.

If you had people here rank their DT albums, I think you would be shocked by the diversity of opinions. Again, I see that as a positive not a negative. With a lot of other bands there is a clear, "this is when they were good" and "this is when they jumped the shark" Like Rush; Dream Theater is going to put out quality albums that are received very differently by their fan base. Sure, along the way some fans have become dissatisfied and have stopped following them. But what people take for granted is that we are 25 years out from WDADU. How many other bands in this genre hit 25 years, and have arguably their largest fanbase that many years into their career?

So while I disagree that 6Doit is better than Awake, it does not bother me if other people think that. Though I have to say Melbcro, you stated your opinion as a matter of fact, so I would not be too upset when others counter with their "matter of fact" opinions :)

But if we could get back to talking about the ST album for a bit. I was a big fan of ADToE. I think it represented a bit of a return after what I saw as a couple of inconsistent albums, with some bright spots (Sc, BC&SL). I also really like the ST as well. While I think ADTOE has higher highs (Breaking all Illusions, Bridges in the Sky), I think the ST is much more consistent.

To me this is what is so great about DT. Honestly every time a new album comes out some people love it. Other don't like it because it is either "too heavy", "too prog", "not progressive enough" etc. Or people will say, it is ok, but not as good as ________.

From talking to Dream Theater fans, I have heard just about every album mentioned as their "best". Sure, there are some albums (I&W, Awake, SFAM) that get mentioned more than others, but I have heard just about every album. I think it is a positive and negative by product of them being able to blend metal and progressive elements. Their fans tend to lean a little towards one of those, so when they lean a little more in one of those directions on an album, it makes some fans happy and others unhappy.

If you had people here rank their DT albums, I think you would be shocked by the diversity of opinions. Again, I see that as a positive not a negative. With a lot of other bands there is a clear, "this is when they were good" and "this is when they jumped the shark" Like Rush; Dream Theater is going to put out quality albums that are received very differently by their fan base. Sure, along the way some fans have become dissatisfied and have stopped following them. But what people take for granted is that we are 25 years out from WDADU. How many other bands in this genre hit 25 years, and have arguably their largest fanbase that many years into their career?

So while I disagree that 6Doit is better than Awake, it does not bother me if other people think that. Though I have to say Melbcro, you stated your opinion as a matter of fact, so I would not be too upset when others counter with their "matter of fact" opinions :)

Very well said. I think the Rush comparison is apt. No Rush release has had the dramatic impact on me since my mind was blown hearing Moving Pictures or 2112 for the first time. But over time, I've developed an appreciation for each release. There are some that I don't listen to as often as others (cough: Snakes and Arrows) but I still appreciate each release.

Personally, Dark Clouds didn't do much for me, but I loved Octavarium. To each his/her own.

Yeah because I'm the only DT fan that rates Six Degrees as their best album (rollseyes)

It's no biggie :). It just means you are more into modern music as opposed to full out prog metal, and that's cool. Just different tastes....

Glad to see I'm not alone in the "Rudess is a poor fit for DT" thought. I'd agree with Justin on swapping Rudess and LaBrie for writing too.

LaBrie for writing too.

I wish they'd switch the songwriting involvement of Rudess and LaBrie.

LaBrie doesn't write music though. His solo stuff is written almost exclusively by the keyboardist. If LaBrie had input in the music - based on his recent interviews he said his favorite bands these days were I See Stars and Bring Me the Horizon, I'm sure you guys wouldn't be too happy.

I would at least try it out. As is with the circus music still injecting itself randomly...I'll pass.

Also if you throw their singer under a bus Bring Me the Horizon isn't bad.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but I don't have any problem with Rudess. I mean, I'd MUCH rather have Kevin Moore back in the band, but that would never happen of course.

LaBrie doesn't write music though. His solo stuff is written almost exclusively by the keyboardist. If LaBrie had input in the music - based on his recent interviews he said his favorite bands these days were I See Stars and Bring Me the Horizon, I'm sure you guys wouldn't be too happy.

All I'm saying is LaBrie wouldn't have written a 23-minute song about a vampire from Olive Garden.