Opeth in High School

Actually he is kinda right. Opeth plays their songs accurately, no doubt, but being a good live band.. I would not say that for Opeth actually. I like the concerts but that's becuase their songs are killer, not their performance imo.

Actually he is kinda right. Opeth plays their songs accurately, no doubt, but being a good live band.. I would not say that for Opeth actually. I like the concerts but that's becuase their songs are killer, not their performance imo.

Name a band you consider a good live act.

for metal? how about iron maiden, dream theater, metallica

lolololoolol

I saw Dream Theater at Prog Nation and I left halfway through their set. FYI, they didn't "move around and have a great stage presence." They just stood there stroking their wankery egos, and James Labrie kept leaving the stage.

fyi i've been posting here since like '03 i think, so gtfo newbie

you have a join date of jun 2007...

but i agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything else you have said, the fanboyism on this site is disturbing, and opeth aren't that great live (particularly about their lacklustre setlists)

people should also lay off those high school musicians, opeth's music is hard to play and mikael has one of the best growls in the industry, it's not a shock that an amatuer musician teenager can't match it...

it's easy to sit at your computer screens and make comments like "they butchered it, horrible :erk:", but at least they have a passion and are pursuing it. they are amatuer musicians, they don't deserve animosity and spite, they deserve fair criticism and encouragement.

actually he's right... not that opeth arent worth seeing cuz of course its gonna be a good night, but theres many bands who just have that atmosphere on stage that pulls you in and obliterates your soul. Opeth is more just about watching them pull off the complex arrangements live and not the atmospheres of the song/concert. Been to many more memorable concerts in my time.

As for the kids, theyre not bad, hitting mostly the right notes and playing cohesively as a band. I bet 99% of the people bagging them out havent played in a band and dont know the hard work that goes into playing a song, especially one thats not your own. I also bet the kids werent planning on having their performance judged by a bunch of losers on UM, and were more just doing it for the fun

actually he's right... not that opeth arent worth seeing cuz of course its gonna be a good night, but theres many bands who just have that atmosphere on stage that pulls you in and obliterates your soul. Opeth is more just about watching them pull off the complex arrangements live and not the atmospheres of the song/concert. Been to many more memorable concerts in my time.

You forgot an "imo" there, because from my point of view I get exactly those feelings when being part of an Opeth concert. Pure intimacy...
I have been in many many concerts in my life and seen a lot of good concerts, a lot of "good nights". Only two bands until now really smashed me, where the magic and the sensations are beyond words and those were Opeth and Radiohead.

I suppose it all depends what are your priorities and what makes you shake inside...

for metal? how about iron maiden, dream theater, metallica

I don't understand how you can call Dream Theater a great live band. I actually like them, but when I saw them live, it was just boring as heeeeellll. Very well played, no mistakes, good sounds, nice effects with the background animations and all... But DAMN it was boring after the first hour.

Also, I don't think those highschool band covers are all that bad. They aren't all that easy songs to pull off live.

have you ever been to a good show where the band has really great energy and stage presence, as opposed to just standing there and cranking out the songs in a workmanlike fashion

oh no i guess you haven't because you are from sweden and you're 16

well you never said anything about their performance, you just said they can't play their songs.

^are you going to actually refute any of the points i made, or is this the typical "durrrr opeth rules" response that i expected

Okay, now you're just getting annoying.
Because we don't think that a live band has to present the songs screaming like an idiot, running on giant assault courses super mario style and play solos by routine, we are instantly opeth fanboys licking their balls?
You are an inch from ending up on my shit list.