Opeth in Tennessee!

johan68

Apr 3, 2008
Clearwater, FL, U.S.A
Might be of interest for the TN peeps....

Opeth has been confirmed for the Bonnaroo Music Festival, Manchester, TN in June.

Some other bands playing this (odd) festival that may be of interest.

The Sword
Deerhunter
Primus
Neil Young
Robert Plant

As I have access to a "cabin" in TN, I might try to make this thing...

Talk about one of those headlines you don't expect to ever see....

Looks like a good time though. I might have a place to stay nearby. I'll have to check into it.

Uriah Heep is playing Riverbend? That's bizarre in and of itself. It might be the festival "testing the waters" for hard rock/metal acts ;)

Whoa! That surprises the hell out of me. I do know Bonnaroo has been getting more metal acts the last couple years ever since Metallica headlined. I'm not surprised to see The Sword there since Mastodon and Baroness have played but Opeth is interesting. I'm wondering though if they're going to play a lot of the acoustic songs in their catalog or at least more than usual.

I am not surprised at all that OPETH are playing this thing.
Their popularity increases with every release.
Plus any music that remotely has any 70s influence is "retro" and "hipster" enough for those who would attend such a festival.
Good for them I suppose.

I live in Tennessee and you couldn't pay me to get in that mess! I will stick with the nice, air conditioned environment of ProgPower thank you.

~Brian~

I'm with you. I had a friend that went a couple years back and while there are some bands/artists I'd love to see, it just seems to be WAY too much of a hassle.

I am not surprised at all that OPETH are playing this thing.
Their popularity increases with every release.
Plus any music that remotely has any 70s influence is "retro" and "hipster" enough for those who would attend such a festival.
Good for them I suppose.

I concur with your assessment. Opeth is really THE ONLY metal band which COULD break into the Bonnarroo world, unless Mastodon and/or Baroness has been there already.

And I would NOT consider it a Damnation-heavy set.

I concur with your assessment. Opeth is really THE ONLY metal band which COULD break into the Bonnarroo world, unless Mastodon and/or Baroness has been there already.

I dunno...for some reason, hipsters LOVE Enslaved all of a sudden.

And I would NOT consider it a Damnation-heavy set.

yes both those bands have played there already. And Bonnaroo hasn't been a hippie fest in a while...it has lots of hipster bands now. Sludge/doom is not out of the question at all.

Dillinger Escape Plan also played one year...think High on Fire did as well.