Opeth is my favourite band, but even they screw up...

Am i sane?

• Yes, this has been bothering me too

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Man, that's an excellent part , and i love the "out of tune" singing

Votes: 35 94.6%
  • I hate the song, hate the band, hate you...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Episode 666

Mr.Nonesense
Dec 3, 2001
www.freewebs.com
Ok, i'm talking about To bid you farwell, a masterpiece of a song, it' all well, and when the distortion kicks in.. mmmmm!
Devotion eludes....

And in sadness i lumber....

And i'm like wtf!? They sing so clearly out of tune that it ruins ALMOst the song for me... is this made purposly, bacuse then i guess it could be forgiven.

It probably is, because Mikael has never had problems singing in tune to any other tracks. It could be there to try and intensify the emotional effect the song tries to convey.

Or then again maybe in the early era he only knew how to growl and whisper? And only developed the singing during MAYH.. haha.

i actually really like the singing on that part! :) no really! ...it's makes it sound kinda warped - to me it's almost like a parallel to the hammer on/pull off thingy in that riff... (at least that's what i think it is, i haven't tried playing it yet.... does this make sense at all?)

The disorted part is great I thought it fits really well. Only part that bugs me is the weird drum fill that doesn't flow all that nicely, near the end of the song. Of course then the last verse comes up and all is forgiven...if any song ever makes me cry that might be it.

Doesn't sound terribly out of tune to me. With the harmony it works fine and I never thought about it.

And I don't think any out of tune singing is done on purpose on the earlier stuff. I don't think Mikael learned how to sing "well" until Still Life.

QUIT WHINING!!!!.....consider yourself lucky enough to have even heard that song, or Opeth!!!!
They are not singing out of tune....two vocals harmonising.

Well we can't just blive that they've done nothing wrong. It'a a wonderful album, and a great son, but that part i just sung out of tune, all i wanted to say.

I love the out of tune singing... there are actually a few other parts that's out of tune and many parts hits the edge of "in tune" but that's one of the great things with mikes voice. It's just boring with these powermetal singers who always sings strong and in tune

Um, it's not out of tune. Not to sound arrogant or not but I spent years singing in an a'capella group, and i'm telling you, I can pick out of tune singing. That's not an example of out of tune singing. It is a weird kind of counter-melody, not a typical interval based harmony, but it's not out of tune.