Those Special Chills

I enjoyed reading your post, thanks for taking the time to do that. I love how you keep saying, "the greatest of all time", etc. I understand how you feel - I don't think I could pick a favorite moment, song, or even album...

One of my favorite parts not mentioned is the last line of Blackwater Park. "The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Well, pretty much all the ones mentioned usually do it for me, especially when Im in the "Opeth" mood. A lot of parts on When do it for me as well. The one Necropeth posted in Karma really does it for me, thats probably the most emotional scream Ive ever heard. Its amazing. I wonder if people who listen to rap and stuff ever get the chills from the music they listen to? lol probably NOT. I kinda feel sorry for them.

I wonder if people who listen to rap and stuff ever get the chills from the music they listen to? lol probably NOT. I kinda feel sorry for them.

Lol...as a person who enjoys the occasional rap song, I can safely tell you that you have nothing to feel sorry for.

LEPERS COILED NEATH THE TREES!!!!! :OMG: :worship: :devil:

The whole transition from acoustic at that part is beyond amazing. The riff is brutal, also that's probably (in my opinion) the second most epic vocal part, behind "Slight twist, shivering corpse" in Bleak.

EDIT: Also the "Spiraling to the ground below" part of Drapery Falls is 100% orgasmic.

Ok everyone who is an Opethian here should know exactly what I am talking about, yes alot of music gives me those chills and makes the hair on my neck stand up, but nothing comes close to the chills Opeth's music gives me. Im talking about those moments that make you proud to be alive to witness and hear something so amazing and beautiful. And that relate to you in such a way, that you swear the words are speaking to you. And also those moments that are so eXtreme and Brutal that just make the hair on your neck stand up, its like your listening to satan himself screaming his heart out. The Pure evil and insanity parts, that just make you wanna headbang your head right off your shoulders and flush out all your anger and emotions. These are the moments that I live for, and mean everything too me. So I have come up of a list about 10 favourite special chills/ moments here they are as follows

In No Order

Demon Of The Fall- RUNAWAY, RUNAWAY, RUNAWAY, Just one second, and I was left with nothing, her fragrance, still pulsating threw damp air, And that day came to an end, And she had lost in me, her credence- I think this is the greatest soft vocal opeth moment of all time, It has the most emotion and it just relates to me exactly, It is purely amazing. And that riff is just beautiful.:kickass:

Ghost of Perdition-6:30, That fucking riff Is fucking brutal folks, WOW!!! GHOST OF PERDITION!!!! A SAINT'S PREMONITIONS UNCLEAR, KEEPER OF HOLY HORDES, KEEPER OF HOLY WHORES OOOOO!!!! Incredible, To me that is Mikaels greatest death metal moment, this is when his voice was 100 percent perfect, soft and heavy. Fucking brutal. Satan himself couldnt have sang that more evil.:OMG:

Black Rose Immortal- After the first Solo- Eyes Attatched to Your Mute portrait, We Spoke only through Thoughts, Together we gazed, awaited, hours brought thirst and the rising sun. WOW and the guitar part that follows after, The most beautiful thing I have ever heard folks. One of Opeths greatest songs of all time and you can tell why. That Accoustic part just brings a tear to your eye and makes it unbeliveable how these guys can create MUSIC this perfect. My favourite part is- Sunbirds Leave Their Dark Recesses, Shadows, Glid the archways. Do Not Turn Your Face Towards Me, Confronting Me With MY Loneliness, You Are In A Forest Unknown, The Secret Orchard, And Your Voice Is Vast And Achromatic, But Still So.....Precious!! My favourite Soft opeth moment.:worship:

To Bid You Farewell- I Am Awaiting The Sunrise, Gazing Modestly Through The Coldest Morning, Once it Came You Lied, Embracing Us Over, Autumns Proud Treetop WOW when that vocal line comes in I totally breathe that and feel that more than anything, This song was the first Opeth song that I related to so much and meant everything to me, Still will always be my favourite ballad. This song just says it all. And to this day it still is just as amazing. Never forget it. And now on to that first distorted riff, Holy shit up there with one of the top riffs of all time, Never heard anything with more emotion than that lick. It just fits with the song so perfectly and when it comes in its all about the way you headbang too it, DEVOTION ELUDES!!!! AND IN SADNESS I LUMBER!!! IN MY OWN ASHES!!, I AM STANDING WITHOUT A SOUL! Wow. What else can I say? .....She wept and Whispered I KNOW!! And for the last part at the end of the song, Beautiful!

The Night And The Silent Water- Am I Like Them?, Those Who Mourn And Turn Away, Those Who Would Give Anything To See You Again, If Only For Another Second. Another perfect moment that speaks to me in a way that I swear it was meant for me. Another all time Greats! Everytime I play guitar the first Song I always play all the way threw has to be This song, I dont know why its just a habit now I cant start without it. YOU SLEEP IN THE NIGHT YET THE NIGHT AND THE SILENT WATER, STILL SO DARK!!!!! I fucking love the whispering bit there, Very original and amazing. Another song that means alot.

The Leper Affinity- LOST ARE DAYS OF SPRING, YOU SIGHTED!! LET ME IN. Keep the beast Inside, Shackled within my hide, Screaming out too late, Losing to my hate. Grew TOGETHER with your SKIN, AND PACE THE TRAILS OF SIN!! WOW another masterpiece, this song has it all, everything you could ask for, Up there for one of the best of all time. Especially that one riff thats fucking so hard to play and sing at the same time hahha I cant do it yet, Only one or the other. One of the best opeth riffs ever

The Drapery Falls- Yet Another Masterpiece, The song is the greatest combination of beauty and the beast, beautiful and brutality, perfect combination. The whole song pretty much but especially the beginning riff, that 8-10-12 chord WOW the saddest chord I have ever played. And especially the one accoustic part- Spiraling to the ground below, like autumn leaves left in the way to fade away!!!!, Amazing!!

A Fair Judgement- The whole song is completely beautiful and that riff at the end is pure evil, but that one soft moment in about 4 mins 30 seconds is one of my favourites of all time. Speaks to me in a way I cant believe. LEAVE IT BE, IT WAS MEANT FOR ME, SOUL SACRIFICE, FORGOT THE ADVICE, LOST TRACK OF TIME, IN A FLURRY OF SMOKE, WAITING ANXIETY, A FAIR JUDGEMENT IS SERVED WOW!!!! can't beat those lyrics folks, get any deeper and more meaningful than that.

Master's Apprentices- This song is easily one of Opeth's heaviest and a great masterpiece. That riff at the beginning is fucking amazing, the devil himself couldn't have wrote that, Only the great Mikael! That one part is so brutal, about 7:46, HOLEEE FUCK!!! One of his best vocals of all time, Totally shocks you, so emotion in the accoustic part then out of nowhere it punches you in the face with those brutal vocals!! :headbang:

The Moor- One of Opeth's best of all time, Everything about this song is completely perfect, another great opener like is that such a shock! Fucking every album starts the best and cant beat them!, Im especially talking about the beginning of the Moor, That beginning riff and the 2 screams going at the same time, Oh my fucking!! I can actually here his vocals coming from the depths of hell, by his lungs I mean! So fucking heavy right there folks, just gets heavier and heavier as we go along. Than blasts into that soft part, PALE TOUCH!!! WOW PURE MASTERPIECE :headbang:

Well I think thats ten! And I still have a bunch more!! Well thats good enough for now folks, Another beautiful songs I cant live without and that are on this bonus list are-

WindowPane
In My Time Of need
Harvest
Still Day Beneath The Sun
Patterns In The Ivy II

And Some more heavy duties!!!
Deliverance!!
Serenity Painted Death!
In The Mist She Was Standing!

So Reply with ur top 10 fav chills those beautiful and evil songs give you folks!!! Love to hear about it

CANT WAIT FOR NEW ALBUM, OPETH GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME, Just got the O tattoed on my left arm, Your guys music is my life
Gods among Men!:headbang:

Great thread man, must have taken you a while?

I'm abit busy atm sooo need to find some time to post a worthy reply. :)

Gods indeed, the compasionate humane one's.

There are SO MANY. I'm still working my way back into the Opethian discography, so most of mine will be on BWP and forwards. Umm, lets see.

Blackwater Park - around 5:10 and forwards. The fading growl gives me goosebumps every time, not to mention the guitars. And the rest of the song, too... :headbang:

Windowpane - most of it, but especially the middle solo - ESPECIALLY around 5:30.

Deliverance - "Face down beneath the waterline gazing into the deep..."

A Fair Judgement - again, most of it. The solos that make up half of the song are incredible. At 6:56, when Lindgren takes over (I think). :OMG:

Ghost of Perdition - OMG. All of it, one of the best songs ever. Both the growls AND clean vocals are among the best I've ever heard. If I really HAVE to pick a part, I'd go for the first heavy part. Or the last minute.

The Baying of the Hounds - 9:05 and onwards.

Last (because I'm tired, not because I'm out of songs) but not least... The Grand Conjuration, 5:52 - in huge letters "THE GRAND CONJURATION!" - I LOVE the guitars around that part.

There are quite literally too many to mention.

:worship: :worship:

Sooo many to mention, but here are a few...

around 6:16 in Bleak, the bassline/guitar lead section right before 'Devious movements...'

Drapery falls, I love the chords played after the death metal section, 'spiral into the ground below...' , its simple but sounds amazing for the song

Blackwater park - awesome riff right after the eerie middle section, 'Lepers coiled neath the trees' sounds so evil

Forest of October - last solo, and the 'aaah' singing part at the end. I dont know why, but Ive always really really liked his voice here.

Godheads Lament - chorus, leads, middle bass section, many amazing parts

"Looooooooooooooooooost areeeeeeee...dayssssss of spring..." that section in the Leper Affinity, especially when they fucking harmonize the 2nd time, is one of the most chilling parts of any song I've heard ever.

And the end of TBYF - We walk...into the niiight, am I, to bid you farewell...
Sweet Satan it's fucking BEAUTIFUL LKJAFLKJFDASJL;KAFDSLJK

ive adapted well after listening to every song a million times.

But the beauty returns for awhile when Opeth releases "Incitive" wtf lol....the new album whatever its called...

The outro to In Mist She Was Standing, from the acoustic part on.

There's so many, I'm too lazy to post more.

Let's see.....

Demon of the Fall- "Run away.."
April Ethereal- "The rain was waving goodbye"
The Night and the Silent Water- acoustic section starting at 2:50
Ghost of Perdition- outro
Drapery Falls- acoustic bridge/outro
To Rid the Disease- chorus
A Fair Judgement- guitar solo
The Leper Affinity- guitar solo
Moonlapse Vertigo- intro/main guitar theme
Godhead's Lament- "Thought I would not reach this place..." acoustic break
The Baying of the Hounds- triumphant keyboard part near the end
In Mist She Was Standing- outro (AMAZING)
Black Rose Immortal- acoustic break around 10 minutes in
Still Day Beneath the Sun- verse... chorus... fuck it, the whole damn song gives me chills
Isolation Years- Mikael's vocal is hauntingly beautiful
Blackwater Park- breakdown shortly into the song... also a lot of diff. parts throughout just totally KICK ASS! Such a great song, love it

one part that really does something for me is in moonlapse vertigo when you can feel the emotion changing from loneliness to anger with the vocals/music.

"my presence blackens their patterns... a pock in the healthy and calm...
OOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
THEY SCORN BEHIND YOUR BACK"

fucking ridiculous. goosebumps galore.