The Goosebump/Chills Live Show Meter

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
Last nights Opeth/Porcupine Tree received a 10 count on the meter. When Opeth played Closure, I think spikes came out of my spines, and various mountain ranges could be identified in the goosebump clusters. As I stated in my review thread of the concert, I feel there is a difference between the sweaty pumped up feeling you get after seeing most metal shows, and the goosebump/chills feeling. Slayer pumped me up in a major way. So did Enslaved. But Opeth, and especially on this Damnation tour, gives me the feeling of musical genious as judged by the inner feeling I get when seeing them perform. I don't think I'll ever believe that a Death/Black metal band can do the things that Opeth does, but they do it flawlessly.

I can honestly say Opeth is the only band I've ever seen that continually tips this goosebump/chills scale (3 times now). So many songs by them live give me the major chills - The Drapery Falls, Deliverance, Closure, Faces of Melinda, Bleak, Windowpane. And the rest of their act keeps my skin feeling bumpy as hell.

I've seen so many concerts, yet only a handful of artists have challenged this scale. Santana has. Emerson, Lake & Palmer has. Opeth has perfected the tipping of this scale. The rest of the bands I've seen use the pump me up scale, or the completely boring scale.

Benighted and Face of Melinda live were classic, just classic. When Closure finally hits the final riff after all that tension: classic. Those were my major moments.

I'm still too close to the album versions of the Damnation songs to be totally taken away, but they are all chill worthy.