Those Special Chills

oh and I forgot serenity painted death...

"EACH AND EVERY ONE WOULD DIE AT MY HAND, CHOKING IN WARM PONDS OF BLOOD... AT LAST, WEAK AND TORN, I WENT DOWN... DRAINED FROM STRENGTH... FLICKERING BREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAATH..." <insert fucking insane solo here>

I'm sometimes amazed at how such strong emotions can be expressed through music. opeth is my musical jesus.

Intro to Blackwater Park
Intro to Bleak
Black rose immortal - about 16:00 - 16:54
Dirge for November - 1:42 - 3:30
Moonlapse vertigo - 1:55 - 2:45 nice transitions and a great growl
Serenity painted death - 1:27 (the killer riffage)
First 2:30 of harlequin forest
Deliverance 1:14- the calm. so nice.
Masters Apprentices - 3:04 rargh!
Advent 4:21 - for the few seconds it lasts it was a memorable eargasm.
When - that buildup towards the end
Ghost of Perdition - 8:18 - 8:58. Awesome lyrics + growls
The Baying of the hounds - 9:07 - 9:50 Growls, guitars, lyrics, its all there!
Karma - 1:08 - 1:46 I always headbang to this part.
Silhouette - 2:10 - 2:40. Go funky pianos!
I'm probably overlooking something...

oh and I forgot serenity painted death...

"EACH AND EVERY ONE WOULD DIE AT MY HAND, CHOKING IN WARM PONDS OF BLOOD... AT LAST, WEAK AND TORN, I WENT DOWN... DRAINED FROM STRENGTH... FLICKERING BREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAATH..." <insert fucking insane solo here>

I'm sometimes amazed at how such strong emotions can be expressed through music. opeth is my musical jesus.

Some chick from work took my headphones off and started listening to it while it was playing the acoustic part leading up to that part. She said "This is just music playing. Where's the singing?" Soon after the screaming part kicked in and she was absolutely terrified. She said the only music she ever really listened to was whatever they played on the christian rock channel. :lol:

It would've been nice had you put your song lyrics into quotation marks. Kinda made me skip through it.

Anyway, first time I heard "Still Day Beneath The Sun"

The chorus got me really good. The last time I got chills, I was listening to Nectar, the acoustic bit.

Ninja Edit: For some odd reason, I had put Necro instead of Nectar :D

heh... i have a lot of transcendent moments with Opeth...

what comes to mind is the first time i heard them play a heavy song.

and i just thought, "this is the music i have waited my whole life to hear..."

you can't beat that.

and they are still my favorite band. :kickass:

Under the weeping moon (live) at 7:15 when mike does that shout thing and then that ridculously groovey bass and dual guitar section kicks in. AMAZING

hopeleaves- when the intro riff returns again mid way through the song

deliverance - ending

isolation years - whole song

Closure: "In the rays of the sun I am longing for the darkness" ... excellent.
I thought he was saying the "race" of the sun for the longest time, always found it mildly confusing.

The first Opeth song I ever heard, I had accidentally downloaded on Napster,
Nectar! the part at 8:00 chilling. I'm deleted all my deftones later that day!

3:50 in The Apostle In Triumph, when he comes in screaming "Through the vast enchanted forest..."

amazing song, I'm really digging on Orchid nowadays

In Mist She Was Standing - The climax. 'IN MIST, ENROBED THE TWIIILIIIIIIIIIIIGHT she was standing....' The way that scream reverberates over the whisper is amazing... and then the acoustic guitar comes in. @_@

The Twilight Is My Robe - After he quietly sings, 'Unto you I whisper the wildest dreams,' then it comes in heavy and he screams a line, then just screams when that new melody comes in... man. If you listen closely, his voice kind of breaks at the very end of the scream and his normal voice comes through very, very briefly. That's what makes it so awesome, to me.

The Night and the Silent Water - The second half of the song. Beautiful, soft acoustic guitars, and then the build up to the climax....

Black Rose Immortal - 'Lullaby of the crescent moon took you' until '... black rose immortal...'

April Ethereal - 'She, laughing and weeping at once: "Take me away...."' The 'take me away' is executed perfectly.

The Amen Corner - 'Eerie circles upon the waters... RAHHHHHHHHH!!' That part's awesome.

Karma - The a capella harmony that Mikael sings when the song makes its first big transition, and then the scream following it. That part is overwhelming. Then the beautiful riff before and during the 'The cold season drift over the land' section. And then, of course, that final scream.

Epilogue - The tapped part of the solo, and then the final melody. Just weakeningly beautiful.

Godhead's Lament - The solo towards the beginning of the song that introduces the 'Searching my way to perplexion' melody. Perfect solo.

Serenity Painted Death - 'Darkness reared its head.' Need I say more?

Bleak - The way the song rises back up after the 'Help me cure you' section, and the drifting lead guitar (e-bow) in the background.

Blackwater Park - The way it swells back up after the soft section, and, as everyone has mentioned already, 'Lepers coiled 'neath the trees.' Holy cow.

Wreath - 'End of a search, coming of morning.' Beautiful acoustic break.

Windowpane - The second solo!! Holy crap! @_@

The Baying of the Hounds - Towards the end, when they're playing an almost happy sounding riff, and he growls that wicked, 'Ooooohhh.'

Isolation Years - The whole song. Man. Just perfect. Just heartbreaking.

everything already said with Demon, Drapery, and Black Rose Immortal...

Wreath - "There is no absoluuution..."

When - intro

In Mist She Was Standing - "A black candle holds the only loooiiigt..."

Apostle - "The only way to folloooOOOooowww..."

outro solo to Patterns in the Ivy 2, basically the whole instrumental section in Bleak that starts after "help me leave you, as all the days are gone," The Moor the double bass picks up at around 6 minutes and Mikael screams "outcast with dogmas forged below" that part is heavy as shit, the acoustic solo after "waiting anxiety, a fair judgement is served" in A Fair Judgement, the part in To Rid The Disease after the piano interlude when the drums pick up around the 5 minute mark, I could keep on going on but those are five that come to mind at the moment. Great thread by the way

basically the whole instrumental section in Bleak that starts after "help me leave you, as all the days are gone,"

Yeah that part is awsome! This might sound strange but does that particular section remind anyone else of Still Life? I always thought that "this sounds like a still life section"

The Baying of the Hounds - 9:07, Growl
Reverie / Harlequin Forest - 2:35, Growl
The Moor - 6:50, "In the pouring rain nothing is the same."
Masters Apprentice - Intro Riff, so brutal
Serenity Painted Death - 1:27, Riffs
When - 7:49, "And I cried, I knew she had lied."

first time i heard the leper affinity it scared the fuck out of me with the beginning, and the adrenaline followed through the rest of the song. then the clean singing and fast paced acoustic melody in the middle of the song gave me the distinctive chill. then the whole "YOUR GAZE, COVERED IN VIRGIN SNOW" part gave me a stronger chill. then the ending fading into the piano part.... ah man, so fucking haunting its unbelievable.

the first opeth album i heard was damnation, then my friend introduced me to bwp a few months later. this was all years ago however.

the other thing you've got to discuss with the chills are the visions! not saying stoner visions or anything, but like the serenity or visciousness in your mind while listening to the tracks. what colors come to mind, what details are in your subconsciousness that rise into your daydreaming whilst listening?

personally blackwater truly taught me to technically "see" music, if your following me.