Opeth latest Pale Communion Streaming in full

And while their newer releases are not at the top of the list, they certainly stand well ahead of Zod's preferences, so I guess somebody out there prefers 'em.
I find these ranking not at all surprising. Blackwater Park was the album that truly heralded their coming out of the underground, Damnation is the most accessible thing they've ever done, Watershed and Ghost Reveries, their first two albums on Roadrunner, are neck and neck. Eventually we see a sizable gap develop between Opeth's underground work and their breakthrough success. I do agree with your assessment, that this list speaks ill of Deliverance. However, I wouldn't put any stock into it.

And since I joked about Metallica earlier, here are their numbers, using the same criteria:

1. Metallica (11,412)
2. Master of Puppets (8,811)
3. Ride the Lightning (8,282)
4. Reload (5,847)
5. ...and Justice for All (5,682)
6. Death Magnetic (5,592)
7. Kill 'Em All (5,510)

And in case anyone is wondering, according to the "hive mind", both "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven" rank higher than any song on Ride the Lightning.

Damnation_cover.jpg
Believe me when I say, I was so psyched for this album. I actually started a thread suggesting they do an all acoustic album (prior to Damnation's announcement), that largely got me flamed. However, while I really like this album, it's not a great album. It starts brilliantly, but fades rapidly. Finally, there's nothing on here that moves me the way "Face of Melinda" or "Benighted" do.

I find these ranking not at all surprising. Blackwater Park was the album that truly heralded their coming out of the underground, Damnation is the most accessible thing they've ever done, Watershed and Ghost Reveries, their first two albums on Roadrunner, are neck and neck.

Yeah, BWP at/near the top didn't surprise me.

And yeah, 'accessibility' certainly improves chart position in general, but I was surprised to see it have such an effect on a band whose fanbase presumably cares little for accessibility. For example, Dark Tranquillity's 'Projector', Metallica's 'Load', Amorphis's 'Am Universum', and Dream Theater's 'Falling into Infinity' all fall near the bottom of their respective charts, despite being their most-accessible albums. 'Damnation' completely reverses that trend. That's why it would be interesting to see if all the people listening to 'Damnation' actually listen to any other Opeth albums, or if Music for Nations somehow found an independent audience to market it to. Or, maybe it's just "better" than the accessible albums from those other bands.

I didn't realize 'Ghost Reveries' and 'Watershed' were Roadrunner releases, that certainly helps explain their position. This means I would also be interested to see "dollars spent for promotion" next to each album too...I have a feeling that that one variable could explain all chart rankings with a better fit than any other single metric.

And since I joked about Metallica earlier, here are their numbers, using the same criteria:

At first I was surprised to see AJFA below 'Reload', but then I realized that's not quite right. Unfortunately you sometimes have to massage the last.fm data a bit. There are 3 separate entries for AJFA due to different spellings, so you have to lump those together to get a true picture. I already did this for the Opeth results ('MAYH' and 'MA,YH' are the same album, and one of them had a '(Special Edition)' that got a bunch of listens too). Here is the more-accurate chart, including 'Load' and 'St. Anger' as well:

1 Metallica (11,412)
2 Master of Puppets (8,811)
3 Ride the Lightning (8,282)
5 ...and Justice for All (7169)
4 Reload (5,847)
6 Death Magnetic (5,592)
7 Kill 'Em All (5,510)
8 Load (4,790)
9 St. Anger (2,887)

The one remaining surprise to me is that 'Reload' is significantly ahead of 'Load' (though despite the two albums that fall between them on the charts, they're still closer to each other than 'Reload' is to AJFA). I've never really listened to either album, but I figured fewer people would listen to 'Reload' just because fewer people ever bothered to check it out after being burned by 'Load'. But maybe it actually is the "better" of the two albums?

And in case anyone is wondering, according to the "hive mind", both "Nothing Else Matters" and "The Unforgiven" rank higher than any song on Ride the Lightning.

Yeah, that 'accessibility' effect is a bit different than Opeth's. Every single person in the world heard those songs on the radio for 3 years straight, so even that dumb slut Gina Magadakis from high school has those tracks in her iTunes. Not so for 'Windowpane'.

One other thing to remember about last.fm's album charts is that they unfortunately don't reflect how many people said "I'm going to sit down and listen to album X". Instead, I believe they're a compilation of track-plays, where the plays for each track on an album are summed, and then divided by the number of tracks on that album. That means that an album with a really popular hit and 10 other songs that no one ever listens to can rank higher than a "solid" album with no standouts. For example, the huge popularity of "Fear of the Dark"'s title track pulls that album all the way up to #3 on Iron Maiden's list. Or, since ~8,000 people listen to "Nothing Else Matters" in a week, while only ~1,200 listen to "The Struggle Within", that implies that only ~1,200 people listen to 'Metallica' straight through while 5 times more are just shuffling into the hits.

The one remaining surprise to me is that 'Reload' is significantly ahead of 'Load' (though despite the two albums that fall between them on the charts, they're still closer to each other than 'Reload' is to AJFA). I've never really listened to either album, but I figured fewer people would listen to 'Reload' just because fewer people ever bothered to check it out after being burned by 'Load'. But maybe it actually is the "better" of the two albums

I think you're forgetting that the very vocal resistance to Metallica's Load and Reload albums was still from a vocal minority. It's easy to lose one's sense of perspective in small enclaves and messages boards. It takes much less effort to negatively criticize something. You also have to remember that both of those albums when platinum and those who like them far outnumber those who do not.

My personal perspective on the albums is that they're great. I think Load is a much better album than Reload because the songs have a more unified sound, whereas Reload definitely expresses more versatility in terms of style.

If you've never listened to either album then I highly recommend starting with Load. Check out "House That Jack Built," "2 x 4," "Bleeding Me," "Wasting My Hate," and "Outlaw Torn." It's really some of their best stuff.

With Reload you can skip the first five songs since they were played to death on the radio. The most interesting stuff starts with Slither and Bad Seed culminating in one of their biggest and best epics- Fixxxer. It's truly the stuff that influenced me more than any other band. Carpe Diem Baby, Where the Wild Things Are and Low Man's Lyric are also my faves from that one.

I suppose I grew up with a different mentality towards music than others. I saw Metallica's music more as self-expression and their move away from the very rigid metal fanbase as rebellious and risky. It showed a lot of courage to not just rinse and repeat what was easily their most commercially successful album (BA). Instead James was very vocal that he didn't want to make another black album but something different. He didn't want to repeat himself.

But yeah, give Load a listen. Turn it way up.

I just heard the new album and I thought it was amazing. I really love the texture of the album. Don't know another way to explain it! :hotjump:

More and more I'm beginning to agree with this last part.

So I don't know what great metal is? Real nice mate.

I wasn't insulting you in my post, I was having a discussion. Like I said before I was agreeing with most of what you had been saying. I took exception to one comment, which as stated by Oblivion Ocean comes across in a declarative tone going against the grain what else you had posted. Let me point out that you asked me to tell you great metal songs from post BWP era. I did that, with examples which I genuinely believe are great songs. And your response is not to say you don't agree but instead to be a massive dick. Thanks.

I wasn't insulting you in my post, I was having a discussion.
You called my opinion "ridiculous" in your first reply and "silly" in your next. How's that not insulting? I initially let the "ridiculous" comment pass.

Let me point out that you asked me to tell you great metal songs from post BWP era.
Exactly. *I* left open the possibility I could be wrong. However, you started your next response by doubling down that my opinion was "ridiculous" and called it "silly". Had you simply refrained from starting each of your last two posts with insults, I would have taken the time to listen. But after our exchange, I simply care little for your opinion. I'm always happy to debate anything with anyone. But when people start name calling, I say my piece and bow out.

And your response is not to say you don't agree but instead to be a massive dick. Thanks.
Actually, my initial response was to say I disagree, it was you who decided to name call. Apparently, in your mind, calling someone's views "silly" and "ridiculous" is OK, but suggesting that someone doesn't know what great metal is makes them a "massive dick"? Nice.

I liked the album. I found myself just getting caught up in sections, forgetting that anything else was happening except the music. Would listen again.

I've found myself going back to bands that I haven't listened to for multiple releases because they changed styles away from what got me into them to see what they're doing now. Listening to music without expectations or preconceived notions about what it is supposed to sound like (if that's even a fair sentiment to hold about art) makes enjoying it easier for me.

You called my opinion "ridiculous" in your first reply and "silly" in your next. How's that not insulting? I initially let the "ridiculous" comment pass.

Exactly. *I* left open the possibility I could be wrong. However, you started your next response by doubling down that my opinion was "ridiculous" and called it "silly". Had you simply refrained from starting each of your last two posts with insults, I would have taken the time to listen. But after our exchange, I simply care little for your opinion. I'm always happy to debate anything with anyone. But when people start name calling, I say my piece and bow out.

Actually, my initial response was to say I disagree, it was you who decided to name call. Apparently, in your mind, calling someone's views "silly" and "ridiculous" is OK, but suggesting that someone doesn't know what great metal is makes them a "massive dick"? Nice.

I wasn't even remotely insulting you, when I called one statement silly. I had no issue with you at all, until your overly condescending response. I really don't get your attitude here, at a complete loss. But whatever, I don't want to argue over something like this. I suggest we both move on.