Opeth Moshpits

Blackwater Demon

Using Cold Words
Mar 30, 2008
Under The Weaping Moon
I was wondering how rough they are. Im a wuss who likes to stay out ofthem but would love to be as close as possible to the stage. The venue has a no moshing/crow surfing policy but Im sure that wont stop anyone.

Some have been a little rough from what I remember. I'm not a mosher, but I like to be upfront and obviosly the moshing affects me. The awsome thing about an Opeth concert is that you know when there will be moments with no moshing, but you also know when they're comming.

It should be fine.

After saving a poor guys life on a in flames gig @ arvikafestivalen 2007 (he fell down as the tidalwave of the crowd was pushing back from the fence, the pressure was extreme) I'm a bit reluctant to enter such things although naturally I would love to stand in the front when I see opeth at debaser in december.

Any suggestions?

Well.. I've been to the London gig last spring..
And the moshpit was pretty rough.. Some stupid english biatch even grabbed me by the throat because she couldn't stand all those people bashin' her.. :erk:

Mosh pits are the most idiotic things I've ever seen in my life, and Opeth mosh pits are just a bit more idiotic

i kinda agree, i saw them in montreal and i was right up front, i ended up having to move to the back cause people were pushing so hard. it sucked but the show was still worth it :erk:

Mosh pits are suitable for some bands not Opeth,was quite funny to see a lot of moshing and crowdsurfing going on to In My Time Of Need though when I went to see them:lol:

dont be so agressive lol it actually sounds hilarious.

anyone want to headbang to some mozart? heavy stuffs - he wrote some killer riffs!

Mosh pits are suitable for some bands not Opeth,was quite funny to see a lot of moshing and crowdsurfing going on to In My Time Of Need though when I went to see them:lol:

Yeah, they are suitable for shitty bands who suck so hard you want to punch someone instead of actually be listening to the music.

I don't get all this hate for moshpits, I don't jump around in them myself that much, but I can't see why people hate them. Sure it's annoying as hell if someone starts acting like a fool during in my time of need, but nothing beats a moshpit to some powerfull and driving music. The rush of adrenaline you get when you are in one can be really exhilarating.
And to those who say you should be focussing on listening to the music: I don't just go to a concert to listen, you need to see and feel the music in many other ways too, and sometimes moshpits can add to a great experience, besides I already know all of opeths songs by heart so I'm not missing that much if I'm not focussing on listening a 100% of the time.

I personnally wouldn't mosh at an opeth show, I'd rather watch them play, seeing as that's the reason why I go to concerts.
Although Tubular makes a valid point that a moshpit is part of the ambiance and atmosphere fo the show.