Opeth, musicians community, we need your help!!

eejad

New Metal Member
May 13, 2006
Montreal, Canada
First of all, as I'm canadian french, I'm not quite good in English, but I'll do my best to express my point.
I don't know if you guys from Opeth read this often, but I think your fans need your support against that last blasphemy from the US Music Publishers' Association (MPA). They decided to ban music tabs from all over the Internet. Now, the main reason why I love Opeth is that I love the genius of the compositions. Playing Åkerfeldt's parts is such a delectation. I can't really describe it... Man I love to play Face of Melinda! That's the main reason why I such a big fan. And I would probably be the first to buy all your partition books, but they are not available right now. That's why, even if they don't represent accurately the genius of your art, I used to download your tabs from the Internet. But now that the whole thing will be prohibited, there will be soon no way for your fan to explore and promote the genius of those compositions.
Opeth, Mikael Åkerfeldt, or anyone else, PLEASE help you musician fans!! Tell MPA what they done is wrong! The artist community need to rise against this obsenity! This has absolutly nothing to do with money... This is wrong..

For more details, see:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm
http://www.mysongbook.com/
http://www.petitiononline.com/mioti/petition.html

PS: Fairwell Martin Lopez, we will miss you alot!

eejad said:
But now that the whole thing will be prohibited, there will be soon no way for your fan to explore and promote the genius of those compositions.

Hmmm... except that you could practice playing guitar more often and transcribe the songs yourself. :)

Still, I agree that the MPA is making a mistake.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Pssssssst.....
(This is old news.)
(But still bad news. :()
So we just don't talk about it and let them do the unacceptable?

Lietuvis said:
Hmmm... except that you could practice playing guitar more often and transcribe the songs yourself. :)

Still, I agree that the MPA is making a mistake.
Yea, its not that a big problem for me... I still can learn by ear, but I'm thinking about those new musicians who will not have the opportunity to do it. This legal action is straightly against the artist community. It is unfair for both artists and musicians.

eejad said:
This has absolutly nothing to do with money... This is wrong..

Well, this has everything to do with money. The tab book makers wants to make more money, which when people make their own and often better tabs, is a hindrance to.

So they passed a law which makes it illegal to tab out music. It is ridicoulus that private corporations can make it illegal for people to share their tabs of their favourite artists. This, I think, really show where the power lies....

Torenstain said:
Well, this has everything to do with money. The tab book makers wants to make more money, which when people make their own and often better tabs, is a hindrance to.

So they passed a law which makes it illegal to tab out music. It is ridicoulus that private corporations can make it illegal for people to share their tabs of their favourite artists. This, I think, really show where the power lies....
Man, I know MPA main purpose is to protect the merchandise music industry sells........
What I'm saying is that, as far as I know, Opeth (and alot of other not main stream bands) don't have any tablature book on the market. I would be the first to buy it if this eventually comes out. But until then, the best alternative is the Internet... and now they want to shut it down.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Normally I'm a very optimistic person, but I doubt we can try and shut them down. It's been over a year now (I think) since they've started, and they probably aren't going to stop anytime soon.
You are probably right, but I don't think passing through it and not complain is the right thing to do... As it is not the right thing to do when G.W. Bush vote a law to violate US citizens privacy or allows secret forces to kill terrorism "suspects" around the world or when google censor itself and remove china's peaple from their right to be informed legitimately. You have the choice to watch the insanity and to wake up someday in a feudalistic society. Or you have the choice to rise against it
Even artists form coalition to speak out against organisations like RIAA, MPA or CRIA (link)
Maybe if we shout our indignation loud enough, maybe we will be able to obtain the unobtainable..

I know this may sounds idealistic... But if we put our voices together, if everyone contact their favorite bands to explain the situation and spread the words, I think there is a slight chance they come back on their decision. I hope :rolleyes:

eejad said:
Man, I know MPA main purpose is to protect the merchandise music industry sells........
What I'm saying is that, as far as I know, Opeth (and alot of other not main stream bands) don't have any tablature book on the market. I would be the first to buy it if this eventually comes out. But until then, the best alternative is the Internet... and now they want to shut it down.

Yeah, you are right. I hope something can be done with this, it really is no good reason to make tabbing illegal.

As far as I know, parodys are still legal... and if you tab the song your own way that isn't completely accurate, even if one note is off, they can't do anything to you because it's not their song. :)

Oinkness said:
As far as I know, parodys are still legal... and if you tab the song your own way that isn't completely accurate, even if one note is off, they can't do anything to you because it's not their song. :)
theirs goes "doo-doo-doo-dudu-doo-doo" and mine goes "doo-doo-doo-doo-dudu-doo doo"