Opeth Staple Songs...tired of hearing em live?

Nitronium Blood said:
You should be killed... by a Gorilla out of fuckin' nowhere.

Opeth.com said:
The Opeth forum is NOT for:
- Harrassing the band members, forum members or other public persons.

I think April Ethereal, The Moor and Blackwater Park were the best fuckin' tracks I've ever seen/heard Opeth playing live. It was just so perfect. I really hope they incorporate more non-staple tracks into their setlist. It would suck for fans that continually shell out to hear the same tracks.

To be honest I haven't really been a fan of any of the 'singles'... ie TDF, Deliverance, Windowpane etc. Well windowpane is okay, but I'd preffer non-Damnation tracks get played at their gigs.

You have to consider that now they have a new band member who plays keys. So Mikael has to use songs which incorporate Per, otherwise, what is the point of having a new band member?

Per did manage to add something nice to Face Of Melinda and I thought i heard him pull something subtle out of the bag for Drapery Falls.

Playing the older tracks might not suit keyboard playing....and i doubt Mikael wants Per to stand there and do nothing for 50% of the gig.

They should keep BWP for every show instead of TDF and GoP instead of TGC, include more Still Life, keep Deliverance and keep When, AE and DotF.

My ideal setlist (if I can choose 10 tracks):

1. Ghost of Perdition
2. Deliverance
3. April Ethereal
4. When
5. Godhead's Lament
6. Reverie / Harlequin Forest
7. To Bid You Farewell
8. The Moor
9. Blackwater Park
10. Demon of the Fall

I'm not sure whether all Opeth members and fans would be alive after such setlist, though.

'Dropping Demon of the Fall would surely be like Slayer dropping Angel Of Death!!??'

Yeah, we wouldn't want that! :(

this is pointless! seems like every single one of us has their own fav opeth songs,, so whatever opeth play live, 50% of us still wont be satisfied :) !

Yeah true... but then again a trve (hehe...) Opeth fan knows they don't have bad songs and definetly don't play bad songs live :D It's just that everybody thinks they could be a bit better ;)

On this upcoming tour it will be my third time seeing the band(second in a proper setting and situation)sounds of undergound was a mess-espec. from the soundcrew dept. -I am sure they will slay us all "live" like they did the first time i saw them last outting at the trocadero in philadelphia.

my ideal setlist would be:

April Ethereal
When
Harvest
Ghost Of Perdition
Baying Of The Hounds
Twilight Is My Robe
Advent
Godhead's Lament
Dirge For November

Moonlapse said:
I think April Ethereal, The Moor and Blackwater Park were the best fuckin' tracks I've ever seen/heard Opeth playing live. It was just so perfect. I really hope they incorporate more non-staple tracks into their setlist. It would suck for fans that continually shell out to hear the same tracks.

To be honest I haven't really been a fan of any of the 'singles'... ie TDF, Deliverance, Windowpane etc. Well windowpane is okay, but I'd preffer non-Damnation tracks get played at their gigs.
Yea man, When they played those songs it was crazy, I pretty much just stood there and took it in cause I've seen opeth 4 times and I was so amazed to hear those

Minion520 said:
Yea man, When they played those songs it was crazy, I pretty much just stood there and took it in cause I've seen opeth 4 times and I was so amazed to hear those

Yeah, likewise. I just didn't know whether to headbang with Peter, growl along with Mikael or just stand there in awe taking it in. I think I did a bit of all 3, hehe.

A. Iverson said:
this is pointless! seems like every single one of us has their own fav opeth songs,, so whatever opeth play live, 50% of us still wont be satisfied :) !

As I was formulating my response to this thread while browsing other responses, I was thinking the same thing.

The question posed was staple songs-tired of them live? My response is yes only becasue I've seen them four times. But should the band assume everybody has seen them multiple times? I would never take away seeing The Drapery Falls, Deliverance, Demon of the Fall, or any of their songs I've seen to date. So for any 1st timer at an Opeth concert, every song will be special anyways.

With all respect for Opeth, but I think they're kind of lazy guys. It would be good if they rehearse more on different songs. But I guess it's comfortable for them to play the same stuff and add just few new ones.

Me, as a fan, would like to see them playing the whole stuff. I don't enjoy that thing of "oh, they will play this and that song". Obvious things like that works with bands that has like "hits number 1" on radios and that isn't Opeth's case.

Ah, hi! I'm more or less new here!

Heliotropic_Rose said:
Drapery Falls - always played live

Deliverance - almost everytime

In my Time of need - come on theres better off of damnation, and of course

DEMON OF THE FALL - all these songs are rockiN! but come on, I think "The Twilight is my Robe," or "The Apostle in Triumph" would be an Opeth concert much more epic, why don't the play any of the songs off their first two albums anymore?!?!?! and if you wanted to make an Opeth concert really epic cut out all of the above songs and break out the "Black Rose Immortal" your thoughts?

and I hope "The Grand Conjuration" doesn't become a staple...

Well, to be fair, Advent used to be staple, as did Godhead's Lament and White Cluster. In fact, I'm shocked that they're not playing Godhead's (as well as dismayed). If Demon Of The Fall is Opeth's Holy Wars, then Godhead's Lament is their Peace Sells, and Advent their Mechanix. Do not leave home without them sort of songs.

I wish I was going to hear Opeth's staple songs live, dude.

NickFBM said:
Ballads are good but i think Credence or Benighted may be better than the Damnation ones, but they are all good. The Drapery Falls is a great song but so is Bleak, and the same goes for Deliverance and Masters' Apprentices.

I think DOF should stay, it is a great song and a bit shorter.

I used to hate them playing Credence at gigs, it was their staple ballad the first three times I saw them and I thought it was the weakest song but now I miss it like crazy - it beats the crap out of Harvest.

And Opeth without DOF is sacrilege

Hypnos said:
my ideal setlist would be:

April Ethereal
When
Harvest
Ghost Of Perdition
Baying Of The Hounds
Twilight Is My Robe
Advent
Godhead's Lament
Dirge For November

Epilogue would work live now that they have a keyboard player...man.....Epilogue live, i'd pretty much rather see that song live than any other song.

April Ethereal and BWP were cool because they were live but the drums were totally off on both when I heard em. I felt bad. Like I dropped my icecream or burned the pizza.

Songs to leave out would have to be Demon of the Fall, The Drapery Falls and anything from D1 and 2.

Songs that would dominate live would be Forest of October and up from Orchid, and Serenity Painted Death + White Cluster.