Opeth sucks big time!!

If you don't think we have satire and intelligent conversation concerning Opeth, you obviously haven't been around that long. ;)

For the most part, upon reading your proposed criticism that seems so harsh and definitive, I probably wouldn't waste my time arguing against things which are mostly a matter of opinion or basically just coming from someone with an apparently drastically different take on music, who could never really appreciate what Opeth brings to the table. Someone relating comments like that would seem to not like death metal style growling very much at all and also have a strong distaste for songs that show a dramatic contrast between soft and heavy parts. Someone with this taste would never have much of a favorable opinion of Opeth, unless they only listened to the softer material, although assuming from the badly played acoustic guitar comment, there's no winning them over there either. And being that I find many of Opeth's acoustic interludes to be quite captivating and beautiful, I would have a hard time seriously considering their incredibly negative comments on the acoustic parts to begin with.

As far as the talk of no technical leads goes, what this person would call "benign pentatonic harmonies that don't cut it," I would describe as emotional, smooth, sometimes blues-infused leads that offer a very nice complimentary touch in most cases and sometimes propel the songs to new heights, as in the case of the solos in "A Fair Judgement" and the perfectly fitting final solos in "Deliverance" and "Master's Apprentices." As for the general comment of "Give us something new Opeth," I would recommend the person listen to Damnation for a different kind of Opeth approach or even the track "By the Pain I see in Others" if they want to hear a regular Opeth track that doesn't follow much of anything resembling a formula.

np : Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
:Spin::Spin::Spin::Spin::Spin::Spin::Spin::Spin:

narcisco said:
Man you guys are dumb. If you read the post this critique is an amalgamation of what is out there. I love Opeth. It is your duty to defend this criticism. I guess again I have over estimated the intelligence of Opeth fans to actually read and understand. Is their any hope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where does it say its ''our duty''? if someone doesnt like opeth theres not much chance that if you disagree with what they think they'll say ''oh, you say they're good, so i like them now''.

and as for ''i over estimated the intelligence of Opeth fans'' - didnt you know that listening to Opeth doesnt make you more wise or less intelligent. Everyones different don't you know.

im bored. and this whole thread is just
spam.gif

I just read through Chedsey's reviews on Opeth albums, and all I can do is to agree with him. But, probably just like everyone else, I'll hoist the 'musical taste is simply a matter of opinion' flag. I used to love Opeth, and I still listen to Orchid and MAYH from time to time, but that's about as much as I am optionally willing to take. *shrug*

In my twisted way I find humour in this thread; why are Opeth fans proving Opeth's augustness to each other here on the official forum? :)

narcisco said:
Opeth are the most singularly overated band in metal history. Their meandering tri-tone infused songs are so stuck to a dull formula it is beyond belief. Nice but badly played acoustic guitar followed by pre-requisite growling have reduced them to the ultimate cliche of prog-death. I mean honestly how can anyone listen to a vocalist who sings in an adequate clean voice then subject themselve to the montrosity that follows.
There is no technical leads. Rather benign pentatonic harmonies that simply do not cut it.
Drumming is OK. Bass playing is rudimentary. The guitar on which this whole sad excuse for progressiveness is based is unfocused. Soft section, metal section oh I am bored.
Give us something new Opeth.

" A hypothetical critique that I composed". But generally a reflection of what is out there.

Respond with your defence or even agreement.

By the way I love what Opeth does but also realise their limitations until I heard Deliverance of course, lol.

A hypothetical response by Opeth:

"Who gives a crap? We compose and play music for ourselves. If people like us - that's great, and if not, it's their perogative. If we wanted to be "popular", we'd change the name of our band from Opeth to The Opethboys, and would have dreams of MTV."

Alex78 said:
What is a "tritone"????

A tritone is just an interval. Do you know intervals? An Interval is the distance between two notes. You count from the root-note. For example C:

from the C to the D is called major 2nd
from the C to the G is called perfect 5th aso

the tritone is another interval. If you take the C as the root-note, the tritone is from the C to F# . It's called tritone, because the distance is exactly 4 whole notes.

opeth uses these intervals a lot. Just listen to the first notes of "the leper affinity". That's a tritone (E Bes E).

The tritone sound very awful, especially when you use a lot of distortion.

The particulars of the original criticism have to be noted. While some statements are clearly that only of personal opinion, others have a viable claim.

Opeth are the most singularly overated band in metal history.

Your opening statement is a flame-inspiring opinion, considering the environment. The origin of the statement seems to stem from a hatred, contempt or disregard from localised popular opinion, i.e. that of this board, of the metal scene, etc.

Their meandering tri-tone infused songs are so stuck to a dull formula it is beyond belief.

This tidbit, however, is much more constructive, and in a way, very accurate. I think the idea of them being stuck to a formula is valid, and any formula can be dull. However, all music of any note can be tied to a formula. Musical formulas construct musical compositions. Until there's a breakthrough beyond my current comprehension, I can't see that ever changing. There's no need to further defend the actual formula that is contained therein of an Opeth song. That is a personal preference that I'm willing to respect.

Nice but badly played acoustic guitar followed by pre-requisite growling have reduced them to the ultimate cliche of prog-death.

Again, this is both opinion and constructive criticism rolled into one. I don't agree with the 'badly played' accusations, but I suppose there can be some extremely high standards in this world. Both Peter Lindgren and Mikael Åkerfeldt are brilliant musicians and guitarists and can get the job done as good as any other performers.

It's hard to defend, combat, or even explain comments and rebuttles made regarding genres. Genres have become a guideline of individual musical preference and much less about the categorization music. The vocals, popularized by death metal, have spread throughout the music scene today, so I think it's unfair to consider a band limited by a characteristic of a genre.

I mean honestly how can anyone listen to a vocalist who sings in an adequate clean voice then subject themselve to the montrosity that follows.

Even as Mike has gone on the record as saying he is not much as a singer, I understand where you're coming from. With that said, he is without much hesitation one of the best all-around vocalists. The statement made, was again, opinionated. Personally, Mikael's 'roar' greets my ear more kindly than his airy classic rock vocals.

There is no technical leads. Rather benign pentatonic harmonies that simply do not cut it.

I'd agree with the first summation. Opeth has never been a technical band to me. As for their, in your opinion, bening pentatonic harmonies not cutting it, that's again an indefensible opinion. The more rabid members of the Opeth community may try harder than I.

Drumming is OK. Bass playing is rudimentary.

Personal opinion on the drumming, though my opinion is that Martin Lopez is one of the best drummers in the world, and really adds a flair to Opeth in a different way than Anders.

The comment on the bass is the most troubling for me, as an Opeth and Martin Mendez fan. While I don't agree whole-heartedly that the bass playing is rudimentary throughout, it definitely could play a bigger part. Martin is an excellent bassist, but I fear that he is holding back a bit. Mikael has mentioned how impressive he can be, but I've yet to see him hit what I personally feel is his peak.

The guitar on which this whole sad excuse for progressiveness is based is unfocused. Soft section, metal section oh I am bored.
Give us something new Opeth.

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion that the guitar is what the labelled progressiveness is based on. I can understand your boredom to an extent. Each album I listened to, for the first couple of weeks I heard the potential then honestly lost that feeling. I saw that superficial formula: soft, heavy, soft, heavy. But after listening to other music, you quickly learn to appreciate Opeth.

Your closing statements troubled my reading comprehension abilities, so my context may be misaligned.

Sorry if I posted a similar response to what has already been posted, no further drama was intended.

Edit - My brilliant naïveté, total ignorance and or general lack of comprehension may've made for some otherwise unintended remarks.

This thread is bound to get thousands of views :p I know I clicked it hoping for a good chance to flame someone :lol: