Opeth sucks big time!!

Hearse said:
Bah this thread is just abit more complex version of;

"OPETH SUCKS! - Just kidding :p" Threads.

blargh the boredom...

Not really. It's more of an "Opeth sucks! - Here are many reasons why... Now I don't agree with this, but this is the public's perception. How do you respond?"

Nothing like "OPETH SUCKS! - Just kidding :p" as the author is/was trying to achieve something, potentially useful.

I like this thread - a good read (better than most) and it spins the cogs in my mind. (full of coggy goodness)

My (hypothetical) defense?

Art is not about popularity or wealth. Art is about the artist, and the spectator (listener). The result of one's interaction with art is unique - everyone will take away something different.

Content listening to 50 cent?

Take the risk to alter your paradigm.

---
hypothetical, of course.

NP: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Moya

Yes I guess a disregard for the feelings of the Opeth forum was an initial motivation. But as is obvious I have an ambivalent feeling towards zealot like fandom and subjective appreciation of Opeth art.
I personally became reinvigorated into the whole metal scene when I heard BWP.
I was an absent observer listening to past glories.
Opeth is for me a brilliant example of what metal can achieve musically and emotionally.
The pentatonic scale is still the most emotional structure we have. So I was being an arsehole on that one. I love Opeth solos and get bored incessantly with modal Holdsworthian legato extrapolations.
I dig the bass palying on Damnation as some of the finest I have heard in a hard rock context. Great stuff.
In summary I think Opeth reignited a bass player (me that is) informed by fusion/jazz that made me to listen to metal again. To promote discussion sometimes we reinvent ourselves that is all.
Long live Opeth and their vision.
To all the indignant lookers, simply open your eyes and your ears.

Frost--

As I cannot contact you via email option I simply keep this short and say thankyou for the most perceptive comments.
Thankyou.
Pentatonics are I belive the lifeblood of modern music and reflect our emotions like no other form. The blues I guess.
Bass playing is superb on Damnation.
Well as to the drumming-reinventing the modicum of the modern metal drummer.

Regards,

David

I think Avril was the real pioneer of metal, and Opeth have a lot to owe to her. So what if she's greasy and ugly? I mean, lots of metal bands aren't the best looking guys and gals are they?

DarknessEternal said:
I think Avril was the real pioneer of metal, and Opeth have a lot to owe to her. So what if she's greasy and ugly? I mean, lots of metal bands aren't the best looking guys and gals are they?

Absolutely.

hey is the "tritone interval" that thing
opeth always does? like this??.... i love it but i dont kno the name of it
G-7-7-
D-----
A-5-5-
E-0-0-

and they always do these type chords, what are they?
E-5-2-
B-5-2-
G-6-4-
D-7-4-
A-7-2-
E-5---

Hearse said:
Bah this thread is just abit more complex version of;

"OPETH SUCKS! - Just kidding :p" Threads.

blargh the boredom...

My thoughts exactly! Sorry, had to say something. As I see it, loving music/a band is about personal taste and your passion for the music said band makes. Simple as that. Some people will love something and others will not. Some will get it and some won't. That's life.

My opinion, as a person who knows the band and respects them both as a band and for the excellent people they are, is that they are brilliant on all levels. Am I biased? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter because it's just my opinion. Don't have to justify to anyone why I think the band is brilliant to make my opinion valid - it is to me and that's what matters.

That just about covers it.

:)

Lora @ MFN said:
Am I biased? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter because it's just my opinion. Don't have to justify to anyone why I think the band is brilliant to make my opinion valid - it is to me and that's what matters.

That just about covers it. :)

Well said. :)
Eloquent and straight to the point; end of discussion. :tickled:

narcisco said:
Opeth are the most singularly overated band in metal history. Their meandering tri-tone infused songs are so stuck to a dull formula it is beyond belief. Nice but badly played acoustic guitar followed by pre-requisite growling have reduced them to the ultimate cliche of prog-death. I mean honestly how can anyone listen to a vocalist who sings in an adequate clean voice then subject themselve to the montrosity that follows.
There is no technical leads. Rather benign pentatonic harmonies that simply do not cut it.
Drumming is OK. Bass playing is rudimentary. The guitar on which this whole sad excuse for progressiveness is based is unfocused. Soft section, metal section oh I am bored.
Give us something new Opeth.

" A hypothetical critique that I composed". But generally a reflection of what is out there.

Respond with your defence or even agreement.

By the way I love what Opeth does but also realise their limitations until I heard Deliverance of course, lol.

Here, hold this: *frag grenade with no spoon*

Reading that John Chedsey's reviews on Opeth... well, he really seems to contradict himself alot. Maybe he wrote all those reviews over the span of 6 years or something, but he really seems to go back on a point and say a different thing quite often.

Like here
By now, most of you are aware of Opeth's rise to prominence, strangely built on a series of meandering, pointless releases.

this is after saying

"So," you ask, "how do you really feel about this album? And don't hold back." Funny you should ask. This is downright one of the best pieces of work in extreme metal.

in his Orchid review.

Now I'm not sure if this is just a guy that's a Morningrise/Orchid fanboy who's complete overall opinion of Opeth has been morphed by them moving into the style portrayed by the albums MAYH onwards or whatnot. Whichever it is, his opinions definately aren't consistant throughout his reviews and I have trouble taking him seriously.

If you want to see a proper negative review of an Opeth album.. check out Rahul Joshi's review of Morningrise on the same page. I tend to agree with most of what he says, and it's understandable that he feels this way towards the album, as for the most part it's true. Morningrise really is a jumble of riffs mashed together and masked as 'epics'... which is why I think the band is veering more and more into a direction which holds firmer song structures. But obviously with that, you have people like Johnny boy above who get bored of the music if it has any form of structure then go back in their future reviews and slant off the band's previous efforts which they admit to having enjoyed, yet now call a bunch of meandering, pointless efforts.

To get back to the thread. What you're saying is just too generic. I'd need to see that formed up into a solid arguement, by someone who actually has passion towards what they're striving for.

One thing there I can address is the guitar playing though... I don't care if Mikael's solos are even all chromatics, as long as he is able to execute them as integral parts to the songs, which add the kind of character and flavour we have seen all throughout their career. I personally don't care if he broke into a wankfest every 2 odd minutes if it suited the song.

And the bottom line is... there seems to be two distinct viewpoints on Opeth. The devoted fanboys (yours truly) and the jumble of generally very spiteful people that call Opeth a boring mish-mash of riffs. Now one of these sides enjoys Opeth's music to a great degree, almost immeasurable compared to other music that they are into, and the other side doesn't... so, by that, I know who's missing out the most :).

Retrospect: Uh, sorry people, I see I've kinda strayed from everything in that post. It's late over here (or should I say early, haha) and I just felt like one of them good old rants.

As this thread has reappeared and Moonlapse has commited the single most intelligent response i will suffer you with mine.

First. I apologise to the Opeth community for making such a shit topic.
But then again fuck you for not getting it and being oh so fuckin precious about your band. Nuff.

The Real Stuff

What really interests me about Opeth is their musical ability. They can play And play very well.
That is what sets them apart. They however are not shredders but we love them for their songs.
That is it my friends. They are not the best musicians in the world in an athletic frame of reference but they are the best musicians and songwriters that this diverse genre called metal has ever heard.
That is for once the truth. Fuck Chedsey.

narcisco said:
Bass playing is superb on Damnation.

being a bass player, i can say the basslines on damnation are ok, but not "superb." i prefer to think the stuff on blackwater park is boss compared to the others. i cant say much about still life as it is hardly audible, but it's still awesome.

morningrise and orchid are different of course. :)