Opeth tickets

saw them tonight...great great show...excellent crowd Paradise Lost was excellent as well.

here's the opeth setlist if you care...though out of order

Advent
Creadence
Demon of the Fall
Godhead's Lament
Bleak
The Leper Affinity
The Drapery Falls
Deliverance
A Fair Judgement

So you say Paradise Lost did well? I've heard numerous bad reviews. I haven't kept up with them in the past few years, so I'm sort of out of touch with their music, although I enjoyed the part they played as one of the "Big Three" of early-90's doom-death. And if they go with the same or nearly the same setlist on Tuesday I couldn't be happier.

well Paradise Lost don't play metal anymore.

it's like electro rock....kinda like a heavier Depeche Mode...but i think for what they do, they do well.

the 15 year old Opeth fans called them fags and pussies.

i heard Opeth years ago on a Relapse/Nuclear Blast comp, and didn't think much of them. i should now.

although the Paradise Lost description is kind of cool, considering . i need to hear that too. any album recommendations?

Originally posted by azal
well Paradise Lost don't play metal anymore.

it's like electro rock....kinda like a heavier Depeche Mode...but i think for what they do, they do well.

the 15 year old Opeth fans called them fags and pussies.

Yeah, they haven't really played what you might call "metal" since the album Draconian Times or thereabouts, right? If I like what I hear tomorrow, I may have to go out and buy a more recent album.

i've heard some paradise lost songs from "meaning of life" it's really good, i think i have to get that now. im pissed i didnt get to see them live w/ opeth.

I saw Opeth on Saturday in Worcester, and it was amazing. As for Paradise Lost, I'd only heard a few songs before and hated them, but it played much better live. Still not exactly great stuff, but it made much more sense live than it did recorded. I'd compare them more to Sisters of Mercy with heavier guitars than to Depeche Mode.

Big update: Now that the concert has been over for about a day, I should give my thoughts.

The worst part was waiting in line for almost 2 hours in the cold. We were told that doors would open at 6, so we left Richmond at a little after 3, made great time and got to Springfield at about quarter to 5. Then we waited till nearly 7 to go inside. The club was great from the audience's point of view. We managed to get great viewing positions about 5 feet from the stage on the right side, about two feet from the loudspeaker (hence my 24 hour hearing loss in my right ear). My friend was able to sneak his way up to the railing by the time Opeth came on, being that he is like 5'6" and could just slide on into an open spot with no trouble. I stayed back a few feet because I have always felt bad about blocking other people's views. I took pictures for some people though because they wanted clear shots over the crowd's heads.

Openers Brave were great. I will have to purchase a CD someday. Tapping the Vein were ok, but the audience wasn't into them much. Too much electro-rock for most people's tastes. Paradise Lost did well, but I found myself getting a bit bored about midway through their set as every song seemed to sound the same. On a side note, I believe I was standing next to guitarist Aaron Aedy's mom, as she seemed to be the right age and was taking multiple pictures of him and waving. She was rocking out through both PL and Opeth's set and having a great time. Opeth were, as expected, amazing. Mikael poured his water bottle on us midway through. The whole show was incredible, and the pain in my legs, lower back, and ears was definitely worth it. Azal, I'd be interested in hearing more about the New York show for comparison.

about the same.
I came late and missed Tapping The Vein, but I had seen them before at the NJ Metalfest...and I thought they were OK.

PL did get a little boring, I wush they could have mixed in some older heavier moments, but I guess that just isn't where their hearts are anymore.

Opeth sounded greatm and seemed alot more comfortable on stage then the first time I saw them.

Mikael still looks like a hamster with that stache.

was it the same setlist?

Yeah, the setlist was the same. My main complaint about TTV was the singer's voice. It's not that she had a bad voice, but the frequency of certain notes she hit fairly often did quite a number on my ears. Being 2 feet from the loudspeaker didn't help I'm sure, but I know it wasn't just me because I would look around the crowd and see a number of people wincing at the same time. Those notes would just send my eardrum buzzing and it was quite painful. This made their set a lot less enjoyable for me than it would have been otherwise, since most of their songs seemed pretty good.

Originally posted by The Dope
I stayed back a few feet because I have always felt bad about blocking other people's views. I took pictures for some people though because they wanted clear shots over the crowd's heads.
Why can't more taller people be like this?